Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Looking for a Natural Areas District Regulations template or actual text

Registered
    Aug 2001

Looking for a Natural Areas District Regulations template or actual text

Please help!

I'm putting together some chapters for an update to a client's zoning ordinance, and all is going well, except for antiquated text from the Recreation district chapter. This chapter regulates land on Lake Huron that is owned by the Michigan Department of Natural Resources (MDNR). I'm re-naming it to Natural Areas. Basically, chapter exisits because the MDNR owns a huge nature preserve on Lake Huron and it's going to stay that way. I intend to write the new Natural Areas along the same principles as the old, but I'd like to review some current language from similar ordinances to determine the extent of the changes that I need to make.

Thenk yew veddy veddy much!

Registered
    Nov 2002

Re: Looking for a Natural Areas District Regulations template or actual text

Originally posted by Alan
    I intend to write the new Natural Areas along the same principles as the old, but I'd like to review some current language from similar ordinances to determine the extent of the changes that I need to make.
    Questions:
    If the land is to be owned by the State in perpetuity, why regulate it's use in the zoning? Can't that just be left to the state?
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Michigan is a strong home rule state. The property is within the township, and it's always possible that the MDNR could sell off parcels. In that case, the township has all its bases covered by having that area of the township zoned. However, it is unlikely that the MDNR will ever puts its land on the chopping block. They just want to make sure all of their township is covered by the zoning ordinance.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    New Berlin, WI has a conservation zoning district you should take a look at. It should be in Chapter 275 available on line.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Thanks everyone! I got what I needed.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Preservation Historic district Regulations
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 25 May 2006, 12:04 PM
  2. Urban wildlife/natural areas conservation
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 1