Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: If you could take one comic strip out of the newspaper forever ...

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

If you could take one comic strip out of the newspaper forever ...

... which one would it be?

My vote? Family Circus. Glurgey by today's standards, and corny by even the standards of the 1960s, Family Circus has a tendancy to repeat certain signature cliches over and over and over and over and over and overr again ... Billy's footprints, Grandpa looks down from Heaven, Billy draws comics, "not me!" and so on.

Cathy is another one I'd save ink on. C'mon ... "This bathing suit doesn't fit," dieting, shopping, and "ack!" ... she's chubby and insecure. We get it already. See a therapist, get some liposuction, cut up the credit cards, and shut up already.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Those are the ones. Well those and Bettle Baily.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    The Wizard of Id

It's another comic strip that stopped using original humor too many years ago. The king's short height, the dungeon swill, Sir Rodney the Wimp, the pickled jester - it's all gotten very old.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Garfield
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Mutts. One strip is enough to drive you into a diabetic coma.

The Fusco Brothers. Used to like it, but it now just seems lame.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I'd concur with Garfield. Just not funny anymore.

Beetle Bailey is at least *trying* to catch up to the times - jokes about computers, dealing with sexual harassment, etc.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Second! to getting rid of Beatle Bailey and Family Circus. Neither one is funny and/or original. Others I would keep from cluttering up the daily comics (which is still the first part of the paper I read) is all of the drama and soap strips. When and to whom was Mary Worth, Rex Morgan MD, Mark Trail, etc... interesting or entertaining.

OT but related: To the Canadian Cyburbanites, Where in Canada is For Better or for Worse set?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Originally posted by BKM
    The Fusco Brothers. Used to like it, but it now just seems lame.
    Except this one.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Andy Capp

i have never understood it or found it funny. Either images of a guy sleeping o the couch (or passed out) him dressed to play soccer or leaning against a bar. I bet they use the same picture over and over again and just white out the text.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Oct 2000
    HATE Family Circus. Especially the strips where billy is running all over the neighborhood, as evidenced by the dotted line. How is this funny?

Also never understood Prince Valient.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Re: If you could take one comic strip out of the newspaper forever ...

Originally posted by Dan
    ... which one would it be?

My vote? Family Circus. Glurgey by today's standards, and corny by even the standards of the 1960s, Family Circus has a tendancy to repeat certain signature cliches over and over and over and over and over and overr again ... Billy's footprints, Grandpa looks down from Heaven, Billy draws comics, "not me!" and so on.

Cathy is another one I'd save ink on. C'mon ... "This bathing suit doesn't fit," dieting, shopping, and "ack!" ... she's chubby and insecure. We get it already. See a therapist, get some liposuction, cut up the credit cards, and shut up already.
    Cartoons have gone to hell since Bloom County and Calvin & Hobbes left the sceen. Aside from the ones above (and you nailed them) I'd bag "Frank & Ernest"... then "Nancy".

On a side note, if you've never had a look at "Dysfunctional Family Circus", it's worth it (I know, I mentioned it before)... I just howl at some of the lines.

WARNING: This link will have some lewd connotations.

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/trondog/dfc.html
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I would like Marmaduke and Ziggy to be deep sixed.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by BKM
    Mutts. One strip is enough to drive you into a diabetic coma.
    No! I love that comic!

I already own one color Sunday edition compilation book of Mutts. I agree about the sugar and goodness aspect of it, but the art is actually good, panel-to-panel transitions are creative and dynamic, and there is always more than just a bunch of talking heads occupying three predictable panels.

Speaking of which, let's get rid of Dilbert already, please?! Scott Adams hasn't had a creative idea in ages, and he preaches to the choir. I want to like that cartoon, but for me, it always falls flat and feels like uninspired hack-work.

Registered
    May 2003
    Zippy The Pinhead
    enough with the big muffler guys already... One time it's amusing. As the basis for a career???

Registered
    Feb 2002
    I agree with Deb about Marmaduke. I absolutely *HATE* that cartoon.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Ditto to everything said so far. I'd also like to add:

"For Better or Worse"
    "Dennis the Menace"
    "Hi & Lois"
    "Funky Winkerbean"
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Cathy .... see ya!

     
    Registered
    May 2003
    Ziggy and Garfield.

Both depressing, lame, never entertaining. Ziggy just makes me want to cut my wrists! I used to think they were funny at some point in my life and I can't seem to figure out why.

I can't remember the last time I read the comics section. If I had to vote I would say Family Circus. My favorite comic is Red Meat, found in the Onion and in other alternative papers.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    May 2003
    Tired strips with the same basic storylines, day after day:

Cathy
    Blondie
    Ziggy
    Family Circus
    Marmaduke
    The Born Loser

And, could we please get all of the newspapers to let Charles Schulz rest in peace and stop running "Classic Peanuts"? I will never fathom the popularity of that strip (although I must admit that "A Charlie Brown Christmas" is a classic). The strip was rarely funny and it also recycled the same tired formulas. Please, the guy is gone now, let it go, OK?

I'm also sick of "Doonesbury." That anti-establishment stuff was cute and dangerous and funny when I was in high school and college, now it just sounds like ranting. Trudeau still has some good moments, but his lambasting of anyone with whom he disagrees is tiresome.

There are some good ones, though. Best of all, IMHO, is Rick Detoires "One Big Happy". Also good are "Foxtrot" and "Baby Blues." I still enjoy "Dilbert", and I like "For Better or for Worse" as well.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    There definitely seems to be a consensus about the "1950s style" comics. Marmaduke and Dennis The Menace are very tired.

I actually like For Better or Worse.

There is a weird circle of us here at work that religiously follow the strip "Luanne" Its a wierd in-joke, because there is no reason for a 40-year old to care about the problems of a high school freshman.

Red Meat rules! Predictably, I also like other indie strips like This Modern World (he has a great blog, too), and for a real dose of paranoia, Ted Rall.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Originally posted by biscuit
    OT but related: To the Canadian Cyburbanites, Where in Canada is For Better or for Worse set?
    " small city in Southern Ontario" according to the For Better for Worse website. I quite like the strip myself but I think it has paralleled some of the things my family has gone through which makes it a little more interesting.

I agree that Family Circus should go, also Garfield. I also don't get much out of Blondie - same things over and over again.

I also don't like Six Chix.

I think it has all gone downhill since Calvin and Hobbes stopped running.

Registered
    May 2003
    Not ALL down hill.
    Boondocks!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Pickles.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Family Circus, Dennis the Menace, Peanuts, and Marmaduke all get the boot from my comics page...

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Costumes at comic-con
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 17 Oct 2013, 1:45 PM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last post: 01 Jun 2005, 4:29 AM
  3. Duct Tape Forever
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3