• Other

10 26.32%
Closed thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best supermarket

Registered
    Sep 1999

Best supermarket

Let's settle it once and for all. Listen up, Trail Nazi! Please feel free, moderator, to add other chains that I don't know about.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    We did do this one a couple of months ago. I can't wait to try Wegman's which some people have said is a great grocery store. Trader Joe's is pretty cool too. But above all, Publix is the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Well, I just got back from a short (1-1/2 hour bike ride (almost got literally blown over sideways. The winds in the Suisun Bay area can be unbelievable), so I'm hungry:

. Trader Joe's, being from California, does rule. But, its not really a full-sized supermarket, so...

Other Nominations:

Whole Foods-for the wealthy granolas among us. But, they are fantastic!

Andronico's: A Bay Area Foodies' paradise. Unfortunately, also known as "Astronomico's"

Nugget: My area (Davis/Winters/Vacaville) own little local grocery chain. Wine, cheese, cooking schools, beer selection, fresh fish, great deli, and THE BEST SALSA BAR I HAVE EVER SEEN! Even their store architecture is fantastic. They hire real architects that transfor the typical strip box. Nugget rules!
    And, their staples, unlike Astronomico's, are reasonable.

Best "mainstream" regional chain: Raleys/Bel Air: Great Sacramento company. Really nicely done stores, nice help (unionized, so its not just a minimum wage slog for most of 'em). The best roast chicken of all the stores-and better than many restaurants' imo.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Sorry, but this poll has far too much of a Southern spin to it. You'll have to add a few more:

* Pick 'n Save
    * Sav-A-Lot
    * Sentry
    * Kohl's
    * SuperValu
    * Safeway
    * Jewel

... and those are just a few Midwest, plus a couple western ones I remember.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Originally posted by BKM
    Trader Joe's, being from California, does rule. But, its not really a full-sized supermarket, so...

Other Nominations:

Whole Foods-for the wealthy granolas among us. But, they are fantastic!
    Even though Trader Joe's is not a full-sized supermarket, it does have some great food at very reasonable prices. I am just about to eat some TJ's chicken chimichangas. Yummy.

Whole Foods is definitely for the wealthy. They have a great salad bar, but expensive.

Harris Teeter thinks its the best, but they are more show than quality. I am not fond of their store brand food. They are a wannabe Publix.

Giant is okay. It is more reasonable in cost than HT.

Registered
    Nov 2002

Add another to the list

All these years the people said heís actiní like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    May 2003
    I shop at Jewel when I use a supermarket, but I tend to frequent my corner store a lot more (or I'm buying something I can't get at Jewel like tea).

Also, Walmart is the most evil company on earth and I refuse to patronize them, but I don't have the energy to get into why tonight.

This is a good site though: http://www.walmartwatch.com/index.cfm, also this: http://www.pbs.org/itvs/storewars/.
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

Registered
    Apr 2002
    I know Whole Foods (Bread & Circus) is expensive, but their food is just so good. I shop there and at Trader Joe's.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2002
    Need to add Harris Teeter to the list. My absolute favorite is Whole Foods, followed by Harris Teeter. But alas, I am not in shopping distance from either, so Publix is my practical favorite. When, oh when, will Whole Foods come to north Florida?!

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Iíll go with the Piggly Wiggly, even though it is not on the list.

*side note; I just like the name and I really shop at Publix or Winn Dixie. But there is also a local store here in Miami called Gardners, it is $$$$$$$$, but generally worth it for fruits, meats, cheeses and breads. They have great hard to get condiments as well, like spicy mustard that will knock you over when you smell it!!
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Aug 2001

mod poll edit

I was going to add the local Wiccan / Vegan co-op and the local glutin-free store but I can't remember their names.

I like Pick n Save the best. As for specialty stores, I like Sendik's (a local uppity store), Outpost (similar to Whole Foods). I has my first Trader Joes experience last weekend and that place rocks. I wish we had one in Wisconsin.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Ok... I live in NY Metro... and only Sav-a-lot is only store on the list located in my County. A low end crappy food store

I would have to go with A&P/Food Emporium because they have the least amount of health violations (rats, mice, spoiled food)

the other food store chains are:

Stew Leonards
    Stop n Shop
    ShopRIte
    Turcos
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Aug 2001

Re: mod poll edit

Originally posted by Chet
    I was going to add the local Wiccan / Vegan co-op and the local glutin-free store but I can't remember their names.
    Try the Willy Street Co-op or the Mifflin Street Co-op.

I would have to say Whole Foods, but I hardly ever get to it. Woodman's is also good, for the huge selection and low prices. From the local choices, I would have to go with Sentry.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    In our area it is either sobeys or atlantic super store /save-easy (depending on floor size)

I prefer most of the products from Atlantic SuperStore. I also have found the really small supermarket in my end of the city has better produce then the larger super grocery stores. The reason. Why? I think is that my neighbourhood is "poor" and people are really picky about the produce they will buy and the produce manager knows it.

Funny thing, when I buy mangos the girls at the check out have asked me what they taste like and how do you eat them.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Sep 2001
    oops - posted as donk was posting a bit of a repeat but.......

Here in Canada, we have Loblaws/Superstore/other Loblaw owned spin-off and Sobeys/Sobeys spin-off.

Here in Eastern Canada, all food comes thourgh one of two distribution centres, you got it - one owned by Sobeys, the other by Loblaws!

Luckily, I live in a farming area so this time of year through to October most of our fruit and vegetables come from our own garden or the farmers market; our bread comes fromt he farmers markets and our meat, cut for the BBQ, comes from a local butcher who gets his meat from local farms.

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Originally posted by Repo Man
    I has my first Trader Joes experience last weekend and that place rocks. I wish we had one in Wisconsin.
    No Trader Joe's in Wisconsin? Say it ain't so! Wisconsin seems like it would be perfect for that kind of a store.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Publix... for everyday...

Fresh Market, if I'm feeling flush....

wishing Trader Joe's would come to the Sunshine State.

Registered
    Mar 2003

Strafer Joe's

Being from the CA, I agree with the Trader Joe's kudos. Yes, Whole Foods is more expensive, but when you consider that you can sample to your heart's content (aka the college student meal surcharge), the manna averages out the overpriced items.

Or one can use my technique: shop at Trader Joe's, eat (and buy wine) at Whole Foods.

Cheers

Registered
    Aug 2001
    #1 Trader Joes
    #2 Gelson's (Los Angeles)
    #3 T&T Supermarket (Asian food stores rock!)

Nothing beats the Farmer's Markets in California. I miss the Davis Farmer's Market sooooo much.

Poll Edit: We were running out of spaces in the poll, so I added an "other" option.

Registered
    Nov 2001
    Originally posted by jordanb
    I shop at Jewel when I use a supermarket, but I tend to frequent my corner store a lot more (or I'm buying something I can't get at Jewel like tea).
    Jewel doesn't have tea?!?

Can a mod add Dominic's to the list. They have the best deli section and a very good meat section...though I will still visit the local butcher for choice cuts.
    "Dear Prudence...won't you open up your eyes? "

Registered
    May 2003
    Jewel doesn't have tea?!?
    It's not very good tea. Bigelow and twinnings just dosen't cut it. Also you can't buy loose tea there so you have to pay a large teabag markup on the shitty tea.

I got a kilogram (500 cups) of Gunpowder in Chinatown a bit ago for about $5. That's the best deal I've gotten there they have a lot of good quality but reasonably priced tea. Pretty much anything green or oolong can be had there.
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    hmm I think my vote was misplaced in the Pick N' Save, because I voted other, before any other categories were added...

Well the only supermarket I remember from the US is ShopRite.... :p so if anybody wants to put it as an option put my vote there

Registered
    Apr 2002
    I love the supermarket name in the Simpsons - Try 'N Save.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    HEB Central Market in Texas, AJ's, Sprouts, or Trader Joe's in AZ. I hate Whole Foods, over priced- I'd much rather go to a smaller store.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Closed thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Minimum population for a large supermarket
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 02 Aug 2010, 12:46 AM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last post: 13 Jan 2005, 4:56 PM