Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Best downtowns

Registered
    Jun 2003

Best downtowns

Besides New York and Chicago which downtowns do you find have plenty of action, nightlife, retail and people in North America?

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Mrs. Runner and I just really really really like Portland, OR.
    Cheers,
    UrbanRunner
    :)

     
    Registered
    May 2003
    Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and Washington DC's CBDs are pretty lively. Several smaller southern towns like Charleston, Savannah, Asheville, Chattanooga and Miami Beach also have vibrant downtowns.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Boston, Montreal

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Locally, both Madison and Milwaukee have lively downtown areas. I agree to an extent with Runner on Portland - except that I could not find an open coffee shop after six. Minneapolis is not too bad, although it has been years since I have been there.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Toronto!

Registered
    Apr 2002
    I'd say San Francisco, Seattle, Boston, Minneapolis, NYC and DC.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Re: Best downtowns

Originally posted by pwright1
    Besides New York and Chicago which downtowns do you find have plenty of action, nightlife, retail and people in North America?
    I was in Chicago for Saturday's Cubs / White Sox show down. The whole Wrigleyville area is great on game day. (even if the damned Sox won)

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by lakelander
    Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and Washington DC's CBDs are pretty lively. Several smaller southern towns like Charleston, Savannah, Asheville, Chattanooga and Miami Beach also have vibrant downtowns.
    The only problem with Pittsburgh's downtown is that , being a neighborhood centered city, the downtown area is not the center of nightlife on the weekends, but it is beautiful and pretty lively during the work week.

Another southern city with a great downtown area is Greenville, SC which has a very vibrent Main St. area to be newer, more suburban city.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Philly!! Everything NYC has but less traffic and the people don't pretend to be as "glamorous" as they do in NYC.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Does Uptown Saint John count as a downtown? If so it is a great place.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jan 2003
    I second that of Seattle and DC, and would throw in Fort Worth, Austin, and believe it or not, Columbus, Ohio (North Shore district). Cleveland has retail, but it's mostly enclosed, off the street. For a small town, you can't get much better than downtown Oxford, MS.

Registered
    Oct 2001

San Diego??

Some of the new housing in downtown San Diego has been rpetty impressive. Not sure I like Horton Plaza-it makes my teeth ache its so sugary.

Registered
    Sep 2006

Spoken like a true American

New York and Chicago may be America's largest centres, but their Canadian Counterparts do offer much of the same downtown vibrance. Toronto is the busines, financial and cultural centre of Canada. It is a very diverse, open city with endless international, national and provincial ties, all without loosing its "small-town" feeling. A remarkable characteristic when you have 6 million people living in the city's metropolitan area. Our major Canadian centres are often stereotyped to be "typically Canadian," however, with millions living in our four major centres, these cities' vibrant downtown life is Canadian. New York, Chicago, Los Angeles and Toronto, too much a like to get along?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Wow. THAT'S BROWSING THE ARCHIVES. oVER THREE YEARS OLD.

Registered
    Mar 2005

Better late than never, ... I guess

I agree with Montreal and Boston, two of my favorite cities.
    I also vote for Nashville -- there's always something to do there, but it has more of a down-home feeling to it (and this coming from a yankee)!
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

Registered
    Apr 2003

Phl!

We win!

There's really not a lot that happens in any CBD after 6pm but my favorite cities are Boston, Chicago, and Philadelphia. DC gets high marks for quality of life but it has no soul. The other three cities seem to know where they came from and embrace their culture. In Canada it's Montreal, Toronto, and Vancouver in that order.
    Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Looks a lot like Bronson, MI! well if you took away the tall buildings, trendy stores, added a few cows, and a polish festival with a tractor pull.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    Looks a lot like Bronson, MI! well if you took away the tall buildings, trendy stores, added a few cows, and a polish festival with a tractor pull.

Don't forget the Charles Bronson look-a-like contest!
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Now this is a great list! I don’t have objections with any city listed above, I loved downtown Philly, the equitable blend of historic buildings and modern skyscrapers along with an unlimited choice of activities make it a phenomenal place.

I would like to add Grand Rapids Michigan to the running. While Grand Rapids is not as well known for anything other than furniture, the home of Gerald Ford (and being the first city in the US to Fluorinate its water) downtown has been under a major transition from industrial production hub to an interactive vibrant downtown. Event venues such as Van Andel Area, DeVos Place, the renovated Civic Theater, and the BOB (big old building) along with numerous bars, restaurants, coffee shops, night clubs, and the GR public museum provide a real destination environment.

To add to the mix of everything, many of the older historic buildings have been refurbished and turned into mixed use, or condo residential, including a the Historic Union High School. and The Hillmount.

Additionally, over a billion dollars of new development in and around downtown has been approved or is under construction. Riverhouse and the new JW Marriott Hotel & Conference Center are just two of the buildings that will greatly change the Grand Rapids Skyline.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Mike you forgot millions of Amway salesmen!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Mid-sized downtowns
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 12 Dec 2005, 4:12 PM
  2. Why do some downtowns die?
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 11 Sep 2005, 12:05 AM
  3. artificial downtowns
    Economic and Community Development