Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Advice for a student

Advice for a student

Hello All,

I am a senior in the Construction Management program at Central Missouri State University. Although I love my major, through some of the curriculum here I have discovered the discipline of Planning and have fallen in love with it- so much that I would actually transfer to a planning program if I wasn't already almost done with my current major. I am hoping to get some advice from some experienced planners out there. Is it possible to get into the planning profession with a degree other than Urban Planning, Public Admin, Geography, or the like? Could I do it with my Construction Managment degree? My interests lie in revitalization, land use, and preservation. Grad school for planning is out of the question for now, but I would like to someday on a part time basis while working in that capacity. What do you think? Is it feasible? Can I get anyone to hire me?? Thanks in advance for the advice.

CMstudent

P.S..........

Also, in addition to the question above, if the answer is "yes, of course you can be a planner", my next question is: how do I get there from here???

cmstudent

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Yes, its possible. I had a math major who worked as a carpenter, an IT major, and several other outside the few programs you mentioned in my Master of Urban Planning program in Milwaukee.

If you are truly serious I would suggest:

-finding an internship in Planning prior to applying for grad school to see if your love affair really works.

-getting yourself some experience in the Construction Managment profession. You'll work with a lot of developers and if you know their side of the story you get gain thier respect and cooperation as a planner.

-research programs in Urban Planning. Find one that suits your interests and has faculty that are accessible. Make it a place you want to spend your money.

Hope this helps.
    ďI am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward.Ē - Thomas Edison

Registered
    May 2003
    My question to you would be "What part of planning did
    you fall in love with?"

There are many different roads in the planning area.
    Here are a few:

City/county planning
    Transportation planning
    Planning for private development
    Site planning
    Economic planning
    Environmental planning
    many many more......

Each has it's own special set of expetise.
    With your degree, and a little bit of experience you could
    probly fit into site planning, urban design or private developer
    planning. But as with anything we love, how far you go and
    for how long is up to you.

(Disclaimer: this advice is the best I can do. You should seek
    the advice of someone who probably knows more or Miss
    Cloe on the phycic frends network.)

Thanks, but again I ask....how do I get my foot in the door somewhere? How do I get into the profession?

Registered
    Sep 2001
    If I had you background I would apply for entry level jobs that are heavy on the plans / project review items (gov't jobs). From there you will be exposed to what a planning office is like and might get to work your way into other aspects of planning (revitaliztion studies etc) Also depending on your education inspection or enforcement jobs may be the way to go.

You could also try to get work with a bid -build firm and work on basic project management with other team members to get teh expereince you need to see if you want to go back to school.

Hope these ideas help.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Originally posted by cmstudent
    Thanks, but again I ask....how do I get my foot in the door somewhere? How do I get into the profession?
    Run while you have the chance my friend!!

No really, go to your (a) local agency and see if they take volunteers, this way you can see what takes place. If they donít, they probably will at least show you around. That is how I got involved.

Plus go to your local commission meetings, you learn a lot. (the first couple of times).

Many jobs hire without a masterís, but I found my masterís planning program extremely valuable. You might want to consider one.

Good luck and may god have mercy on your soul.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Jul 2002

advice

"Plastics!"

No, really, go after a saleble skill such as GIS is addition to your main interest. It may get you through doors that are otherwise closed.
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Feb 2003

Re: advice

Originally posted by Tom R
    "Plastics!"

So the R in Tom R stands for Robinson? (hahaha)
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 02 Apr 2013, 9:05 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 06 Sep 2011, 12:04 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 07 Oct 2010, 6:51 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last post: 13 Dec 2007, 1:05 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last post: 15 Jun 2007, 2:09 PM