Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Congress for New Urbanism has a new Chief

Registered
    Aug 2001

Congress for New Urbanism has a new Chief

Milwaukee Mayor John Norquist announced that he's leaving his post in January to take over as Prez. and CEO of the Congress for New Urbanism. (That organization also announced it is relocating from San Francisco to Chicago).

I'm sure hizzonor will do outstanding in this position - its exactly the job for him.

I'm also sure he shouldnt let the door hit him in the arse on the way out of town. His tenure has had a few successes, but he's also presided over the biggest scandals in our City Halls history. Good ridance.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    You think Norquist might be looking for a local guy in Chicago who can help him navigate the Chicagoland scene?

I take that back -- I don't know if I can recite the CNU mantra well enough to do that.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by pete-rock
    You think Norquist might be looking for a local guy in Chicago who can help him navigate the Chicagoland scene?
    Are you latina? Can you carry an apple between your knees?

Registered
    May 2003
    Yeah, he's had some scandals but overall the city is better off now than before. Yeah, the economy has gotten better and one shouldn't minimize that fact, however, his ideals have moved this city in the right direction.

I can't seem to delete the double post, so if a mod can delete this one, please feel free!
    Last edited by Repo Man; 23 Jun 2003 at 5:19 PM.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

I think Norq has done a lot of great stuff for the City of Milwaukee. Under his tenure downtown has seen extrordinary amounts of redevelopment and re-investment. His promotion of New Urbanist ideas has resulted in redevelopment that fits in with existing older architecture. However, it seems to me that the inner-city and the Northridge area has been somewhat ignored by his administration.

He has also created a us vs. them stance with the suburbs. His administration has cried for regional cooperation when it suits their needs, and ripped the suburbs when they ask for something. He also pushed to have Art Jones as police chief, which has been a complete disaster.

Whoever wins next year (I am hoping it is Barrett or Pratt) will have some big shoes to fill.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2002
    Originally posted by Repo Man
    He has also created a us vs. them stance with the suburbs. His administration has cried for regional cooperation when it suits their needs, and ripped the suburbs when they ask for something.
    The "us vs. them" issue between the city and suburbs has been going on well before Norquist took office, so he didn't "create" any of that. See the late Mayor Henry Maier's book The Mayor Who Made Milwaukee Famous : An Autobiography for the pre-Norquist administration's "us vs. them" details. Also see Greater Milwaukee's Growing Pains, 1950-2000: An Insider's View by fomrer SEWRPC member Richard W. Cutler.

Maybe he didn't start it, but he also didn't do much to help change that way of thinking.

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Chet, Repo - Is this the same Milwaukee mayor that had an affair with someone underage?

She wasn't underage, she was a thirty-something staffer in the Mayor's office. She sued him and the City for sexual harassment after she realized that he wasn't leaving his wife for her.

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Didnít Clinton teach us anythingÖ.

Itís ok to fool around, duh. So lay off the guy.

(You can decide if I being sarcastic or not)
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2002
    Originally posted by Repo Man
    Maybe he didn't start it, but he also didn't do much to help change that way of thinking.
    This I can agree with.

But then I'd also have to say regional cooperation isn't necessarily the act of the city giving the suburbs something whenever they ask for something, either.

Registered
    May 2003
    I'm unsure who I'll vote for, Barrett or Pratt are both good candidates.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by iamme
    I'm unsure who I'll vote for, Barrett or Pratt are both good candidates.
    I would agree. Thankfully I sold my Sherman Park colonial and moved out to Oak Creek last fall, so I'll trust your decision.

Originally posted by Chet
    I would agree. Thankfully I sold my Sherman Park colonial and moved out to Oak Creek last fall, so I'll trust your decision.
    I too am moving out of the City..by about 60 feet, so I will not be able to vote in the election.

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Come on guys, not living in the city is no reason not to vote there. This is Wisconsin, don't you know.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Michael Stumpf
    Come on guys, not living in the city is no reason not to vote there. This is Wisconsin, don't you know.
    I have a Prudence story about that but the statute of limitation for civil foreitures has not expired.

If I changed my address to an even one, the idiots that run the elections in Milwaukee would let me vote. Some of these fossils aren't even allowed to drive anymore, yet they are supposed to be able to stop election fraud?

- Homer Simpson

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 25 Oct 2012, 10:29 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 29 Aug 2007, 12:23 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Apr 2007, 1:54 PM
  4. Congress for the New Urbanism
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 18