Urban planning community

Poll results: How much of your country have you seen?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • All 50 States!

0 0%
  • 40 - 49 States

11 17.46%
  • 30 - 39 States

8 12.70%
  • 20 - 29 States

21 33.33%
  • 10 - 19 States

12 19.05%
  • 5 - 9 States

3 4.76%
  • 1 - 5 States

0 0%
  • All 13 Provinces & Territories!

0 0%
  • 9 - 12 Provinces & Territories

1 1.59%
  • 6 - 8 Provinces & Territories

1 1.59%
  • 3 - 5 Provinces & Territories

2 3.17%
  • 1 - 2 Provinces & Territories

0 0%
  • Other

4 6.35%
Closed thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How Much of Your Country Have You Seen?

Registered
    Aug 2001

How Much of Your Country Have You Seen?

One of the places I'm thinking of going while "out East" is Maine... if I go, I will have only seven other states to visit before I've seen them all. It seems like a lot of us have been all over North America, so I thought I'd do a little poll to see how we stack up.

And for those of you outside of North America, please pick "other" and explain how much of your own country you have seen.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Pretty much everything east of the Mississippi I've visited by car. Only been to 5 states west of it though.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    24 state and four provinces -- mostly out west.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Looking at a map, I think I have been to 23 states, mostly east of the Miss.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Here are the States I have not yet been to: North Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont.

I have a lot more to go for Canada: I've only seen the Yukon, Alberta, Ontario and B.C.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    All of the south (including Texas), most in the mid-west, and then the big tourists states like Cali, NY, Colorado and such.

25 in total. Plan / hope on seeing the rest.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Almost all, plus one providence (British Columbia) except for northern New England, Alaska and Hawaii.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    47 for me. Missed Alaska, Hawaii, and Utah.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I've got a lot of Canada left to see...Outside of Ontario, I've been to Quebec, New Brunswick (okay, I passed through on the train), and Nova Scotia. I've only been as far west as St. Sault Marie (in Canada).

In terms of U.S. States, I've been through a few...mostly eastern. Chicago is the farthest west I've ever been.

Registered
    Apr 2002
    I think I've been to 26, mostly East, South and Midwest, plus CA and WA - not counting a few airport layovers where I didn't really see anything. I'm dying to get out to the mountain West.

Nerudite - if you decided to visit Maine, I can give you lots of suggestions on places to go. I grew up outside of Portland. It's a beautiful state!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Just 11states and that's including ones I drove through once as a kid without seeing much of them (MD, DE). I've also been to Ontario and Spain (and London if you count spending 5 hours sleeping in Heathrow). I have never even been to Vermont which is only about 2 hours away. The farthest west I've been is Niagra Falls. I'm always amazed at how much people here have travelled and how many places some of you have lived.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    All of the lower 48, 3 Mexican states, and 5 Canadian provinces.

Since I no longer have a job that requires travel (or an expense account), I don't know when I'll get to Alaska or Hawaii.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    I voted other, since I've been to 20 states (NH, ME, VT, MA, CT, RI, NY, NJ, PA, OH, IN, MI, IL, MO, CO, CA, KY, TN, GA, FL) and 5 provinces (NS, PEI, NB, QC, ON).
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Aug 2001

One State - Two Worlds

I don't keep track of the states I've been to. I don't see the point - if you say you've been to Michigan because you flew into Detroit Metro and hopped aboard one of the "limosine" services to see a Red Wings game at the Cobo, then you haven't been to Michigan. The Upper Penninsula is whole 'nother world, my friend!

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I've got the South (except for the Carolinas and Texas) and the Midwest covered. My gaps are in the places where it's usually hard to find a brutha -- New England (except for Connecticut) and the Plains (except for the Dakotas and Montana).

Total: 21 states and 4 provinces (Ontario, Quebec, Alberta and British Columbia.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I have travelled all round my country with my family in a campervan - one summer we did the North Island, and the next summer the South Island. Was a good thing to do except I do not recommend squashing a family of 6 into a campervan for extended periods of time!!!! The only place I haven't been is the deep south.

Sure my country is small but our travels took in all kinds of landscapes, including mountains, glaciers, desert, forests, lakes, and of course many beaches.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    22 states and DC plus Ontario

My favortie are the Great Lakes States.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I have lived in:

Indiana (hometown)
    Illinois (Bradley University)
    Virginia (UVA Masters)
    Florida (internship)
    Tennessee (Knoxville job)
    California (now)

Visited:
    Ohio, Michigan, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, NY, NH, VT, Conn, Maine, WV, NC, SC, GA, Oregon, Wash, Nev, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Texas, Oklahoma, Mississippi,
    Alabama, Arkansas,

Also: Ontario and Quebec

Oops. Forgot several : Idaho, Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska
    Last edited by BKM; 23 Jun 2003 at 6:17 PM.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Vermont, New Hampshire, Mississippi, Alaska and Hawaii are the only ones left on my list. I may do Alaska this fall.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Within Chile and Argentina: I have been and traveled through out most of my country, the only exceptions are the XI and XII Regions (Aisen and Magallanes) and a part of the X (which is the Region where I live) and the main problem or reason is that the roads to get to those places are either gravel and dirt roads, or through Argentina(*) or by boat. The provinces where I've traveled the most are: Cautin (Temuco), Valdivia (quite obvious), Osorno, Llanquihue (Puerto Montt), Chiloe.

In Argentina I've been to San Martin de los Andes, Bariloche, and Esquel.

(*)There is no direct terrestrial rout within Chile to get southern than Puerto Montt, to go south you have to take one or more ferrys, or cross to Argentina(to the boooooring patagonia)

Within the US and Canada: I've been to NY,NJ, PA(***), Washington DC, MD(**), Ontario (Toronto), Quebec (Quebec, Montreal)

(**) Passed though when going to DC by road.
    (***) I don't remember going to Philly though.... :p

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Hmmmm. Texas and Arizona of course.. Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Hawaii, California, New Mexico, and Oklahoma. Not much.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Oops miss counted when I voted.

7 provinces Ontario, Quebec, NB, NS, PEI, BC, alberta (just a stop over on the plane).

13 US States

Michigan, NY, ME, VT, Conn, Mass, NJ, Delaware, DC, Ohio, Penn, Maryland, RI.

All be car, some just driving through on my way to other places.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Originally posted by donk
    Oops miss counted when I voted.

7 provinces Ontario, Quebec, NB, NS, PEI, BC, alberta (just a stop over on the plane).

13 US States

Michigan, NY, ME, VT, Conn, Mass, NJ, Delaware, DC, Ohio, Penn, Maryland, RI.

All be car, some just driving through on my way to other places.
    Come on donk....I know you've visited the "red barns" of NH!
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Sep 2001
    By car I have been to: Provinces - NS, NB, PE, NL (lived in Newfoundland and in Labrador for a while), QC, ON. States - ME; NH; VT; MA; RI; CT; NY; PA

Flying to: Alberta and also PA; DC (went to MD and VA); and SC (went to GA and NC)

7 provinces, no territories
    14 states

I have the Eastern Seaboard pretty much covered.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Can't believe I forgot NH. I've never really stopped there though, except at the red barns.

Hopefully I'll be seeing more of it shortly.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Closed thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Moving to another country?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 81
    Last post: 14 Apr 2014, 7:18 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 17 Dec 2008, 5:21 PM
  3. Living In The Country
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17