Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Update: variance situation

Registered
    Mar 2002

Update

Just wanted to give a brief update on our variance situation.

Apparently my patience in just waiting the city out to hang themselves might have worked. Late last week they installed the curb and gutter and wouldn't ya know it, they placed a driveway opening BETWEEN the property lines, 3ft inside mine, and 4-5 ft. inside the neighbors. That is an obvious violation of their own ordinance. Now, prior to paying any fee for them to tell me where I can park, I'd like them to explain the situation that exists now! I will keep ya posted, this is going to get sticky!!!!

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Wow, good luck with that!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The people who 1) engineered the street, and 2) who are overseeing this project should be canned. Placing a curb cut on a property line (without cross-access easements) is an idiotic mistake. Eliminating curb cuts, or even undertaking a project like this without involvement or even notice to the impacted property owners is simply not the way to serve the public. These people would not last six months in my city.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I just can't believe that the city did that or allowed the contractor to get away with that! People here have fits if the grass isn't mowed perfectly; I can only imagine how they would react to something like that!

Registered
    Mar 2002

more info

Well, my strategy at this point is to go for the variance and then piss and moan about the way the city conducts their projects, that way, I get what I want. We have to pay for the variance application, but the guy assisting me in the building dept. has gone out of his way, so I have no gripes there, my dismay rests with the contractor and the city engineer (we have a dept of ONE). I guess I am just glad I work in the planning field, I dunno what a person not familiar with the ins and outs of this stuff would have done? Gone down to city all and laid the smack down? LOL.

I am not happy at all with the entire process, but, it is what it is, I will save my comments for the end of the month.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Handling an odd situation
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 29 Apr 2013, 10:41 AM
  2. Is it just my situation or same every place?
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 04 Nov 2008, 9:55 AM
  3. Need an opinion on my situation
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 11 Dec 2007, 9:01 PM
  4. The situation with Iran
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 68
    Last post: 20 Feb 2006, 7:24 PM