Urban planning community

Thread: Radiohead - Hail to the Thief

Registered
    Aug 2001

Radiohead - Hail to the Thief

Hello.
    Planners and people feeling a bit frustrated about this country might enjoy the new Radiohead CD titled "Hail to the Thief."

I never thought I would enjoy music like Radiohead--far different from Steppenwolf, but it really sinks in after a few listens.
    The theme of the CD (I think) relates to frustration and apprehension after the U.S. presidential election in 2000 and the Iraq war and similar ventures. Where do we go in this century and with so much technology and commerce bringing the world much closer. A global perspective yes, but plenty of nationalism and disputes to keep us well apart, or at each others throats (something like that)
    Anyway, no matter how deep you'd like to get into Radiohead, I have found the new CD to be good music to work with.
    Peace everyone.
    Earl
    Earl the Farthest North Cub Fan

Cyburbian Emeritus Perry Norton's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Hey, where does one get Radiohead? I'd like to see it; try it out so to speak. Does it have lyrics you can understand without having a translator handy?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Great questions Perry.
    I got my CD of "Hail to the Thief" through Amazon.com.
    Can't help you on lyrics easy to understand.
    But in this Radiohead CD they do spell them out in the little document in the CD holder.
    (they use two names for each song, so be careful)
    And the reviews in the Amazon.com listing for the CD help, as do general reviews where you can find them.
    Beyond the lyrics, I may be off track, but I find the pacing of the songs, the instrumental work, etc. helping to express frustration, and searching for answers in this century in a non lyrical format.
    And of course the title: "Hail to the Thief" has been used by others to describe the year 2000 election where our current president rose to the top.
    Enjoy

Another few bits of advice:

1. Do not buy "Pablo Honey" - It is not a good representation of what Radiohead is capable of.

2. Start with Ok Computer (or Hail To the Thief)

3. Don't be turned off on your first listen. Give it at least 5 listens.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Originally posted by Repo Man

1. Do not buy "Pablo Honey" - It is not a good representation of what Radiohead is capable of.

Agree with everything Repo said - but I'll add that "The Bends" is also a good Radiohead album to start with. It's pretty poppy and accessible, but if you want to get into Hail to the Thief, you'll see more of a linkage between that album and OK Computer. OK Computer is still their best in my opinion.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by Greenescapist
    Agree with everything Repo said - but I'll add that "The Bends" is also a good Radiohead album to start with. It's pretty poppy and accessible, but if you want to get into Hail to the Thief, you'll see more of a linkage between that album and OK Computer. OK Computer is still their best in my opinion.
    Agreed. I could care less to listen to "Pablo Honey" these days, although I was big fan when it came out back in the day. "OK Computer" is pretty much considered their best but I still have a soft-spot for "The Bends" and about half the songs on "Amnesiac."

One piece of advise...Save your money and stay away from their live album. Not bad, but it's short and the choice of songs is not the best.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Thanks folks for the historical perspective on Radiohead.
    I've only listened so far to OK Computer, Amnesiac and Hail to the Thief, so I am a newcomer. But I did like OK Computer a lot.
    And I agree with the advice to listen to any Radiohead composition at least five times to get a full perspective.

I continue to think Radiohead is great work music for planners. Often while I am listening to the group, I start to think of the future and how we can all work toward making it a brighter future, despite some of the frustrations, Patriot Act type threats, and apprehension about the present state of affairs.
    Earl

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Originally posted by Repo Man

pablo honey is not their best. anything from the bends forward is timeless.

ok computer was groundbreaking. but i feel that radiohead matured the most through kid a and amnesiac. they were willing to explore sounds and techniques that few would dare.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Thanks for ongoing insights into Radiohead. As a relative newcomer to their music, your experienced advice is very welcome. And Boikers, do I see you live in the NW Chicago suburbs? If so, can the message of Radiohead offer comfort to Chicago Cubs fans, especially if the Cubbies fold again?
    We hope they go all the way to the World Series, but then there is always 1969.
    Hey hey
    Earl

Registered
    Jan 2002
    Radiohead has been in rotation at several stations in the Batlimore/Washington/Annapolis area lately. I heard the new single twice this week during the drive Home

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Thanks Nemesis
    Any reviews or comments in newspapers or on air about the Radiohead music, approach, etc. Title: Hail to the Thief might get some reaction near our nation's capitol, and also in Florida perhaps.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Originally posted by Earl Finkler
    Thanks for ongoing insights into Radiohead. As a relative newcomer to their music, your experienced advice is very welcome. And Boikers, do I see you live in the NW Chicago suburbs? If so, can the message of Radiohead offer comfort to Chicago Cubs fans, especially if the Cubbies fold again?
    We hope they go all the way to the World Series, but then there is always 1969.
    Hey hey
    Earl
    i am a sox fan i took great pleasure in the cubs collapse.

however, i feel somewhat saddened that no chicago baseball team has visited the series in 50 years.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

More at Cyburbia

1. All Hail RJ Teh 14K Clube Leader
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 04 Dec 2011, 9:01 AM
  2. All hail the great glory of Google
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 01 Apr 2004, 10:12 AM
  3. Replies: 48
    Last post: 20 Jan 2004, 8:52 AM