Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: uploading photos

Registered
    Nov 2002

uploading photos

I have always been more of a pen and paper guy, so you'll have to forgive me if this is a stupid computer question...

I wanted to up upload some scanned photos into the member gallery but I discovered that they are all larger than 250kb. Is there a way to "shrink" the images to fit the 250kb limit?

Thanks

p.s. I have Photo Impression 3.0 here and Photoshop at the office...If that makes any difference.:S

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Use the "Save for Web" feature of Photoshop, and play with the image resolution until you get it under 250K....that's what I usually do for image attachments.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Aug 2001
    You can resample / resize a photo to smaller dimensions, setting them in inches, pixels, etc. I often do this with photos from my digital camera, where the original image is 16 x 22 inches. Cyburbia will not accept an image larger than 500 pixels. Alternatively, if there is information in the photo you do not want or need, you can crop it out. Finally, you can adjust the compression when you save a jpg image.

As a side note, I generally save a copy of the original image. Any time you edit an image you lose data, so it is a good idea to have the original as a back-up.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Thanks for the help.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Just to clarify ... the Gallery will automatically resize images for you. The size limit is 1280 pixels in any direction, and 250K in size. For images larger than 500 pixels in any direction, a medium sized image of 500 x * will also be created automatically.

The size limit of image attachments in the Forums is 500 pixels in any direction, and 50K.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. problem uploading
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 23 Jun 2007, 11:40 PM
  2. Problem Uploading JPG
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 20 Nov 2004, 1:14 AM
  3. Having trouble uploading photos
    Cyburbia Issues and Help