Thread: Is that User Counter Right?

Registered
    Dec 2001

Is that User Counter Right?

We never have that many guests!

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    The www.dontcall.gov thread is hot on the search engines right now, hence the number of guests looking at that thread in particular.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Nov 2002
    So, how do we take advantage of all this activity to convert the masses into citizen planners?

All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by SGB
    So, how do we take advantage of all this activity to convert the masses into citizen planners?

Not likely.

NH Planner is right. I was on last night and all of those unregistered guests were viewing the Do Not Call thread. The Irish One put the URL in the thread name and Google picks it up quite easily.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by Chet
    The Irish One put the URL in the thread name and Google picks it up quite easily.
    Actually, it's the 7th URL that comes up when you search on Google by "www.donotcall.gov"

That explains a lot!

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Originally posted by SGB
    Actually, it's the 7th URL that comes up when you search on Google by "www.donotcall.gov"

That explains a lot!
    It's now on the top of the list!

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...notcall.gov%22
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Nov 2002
    How in the world did that happen?

I'm just wondering...If you know the addressand are physically able to type "donotcall.gov", why couldn't you just go directly to the site instead of looking for it on a search engine?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by biscuit
    How in the world did that happen?

I'm just wondering...If you know the addressand are physically able to type "donotcall.gov", why couldn't you just go directly to the site instead of looking for it on a search engine?
    Never, ever, understimate the lack of intelligence in the general public at large!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Originally posted by NHPlanner
    It's now on the top of the list!
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...notcall.gov%22
    Probably because some of those visitors had the IE Google Toolbar installed. I think Google uses the most commonly visited sites among toolbar users as a factor for determining the relevance of links. (Google doesn't track Toolbar user movements, but they do tally the popularity of visited sites.)

The amount of new users hasn't shot up. Remember, there aren't too many planners or folks who are really interested in cities and suburbs, so there probably won't be too many folks becoming Forum members after seeing the thread.

At leave vBulletin is holding up fine, and the boards are running normally.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I am just amazed that at any given time there are 200+ people lost (and ended up here) on the internet because they don't know how to type the address.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by Mike D.
    I am just amazed that at any given time there are 200+ people lost (and ended up here) on the internet because they don't know how to type the address.
    Yep, and I imagine that they are all either bored, confused or very, very scared.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    I was also amazed by the explosive amount of traffic going on...I was about to send a PM to Dan or to some admin just in case it was some weird hacker attack or something... I didn't do it because nothing out of the ordinary happened... just the user number sky rocketing... and no aparent effects of a hacker attack.

I remember the user max was at about 87 or so.... and last night I entered and each time I refreshed the page the number kept going up! (of course there were some times when it went down a bit)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by SkeLeton
    I was about to send a PM to Dan or to some admin just in case it was some weird hacker attack or something...
    Perhaps some planners from Houston returning our visit?

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Originally posted by SGB

That would take nearly all the fun out of Cyburbia. It would be like going to work - wait a minute that's where I am.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Work the counter much?
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 30
    Last post: 21 Apr 2010, 1:50 PM
  2. Counter offers
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 29 Aug 2006, 1:54 PM
  3. My proposal for a counter suit-
    Friday Afternoon Club