+ Reply to thread

Thread: Dying Shopping Malls Article

maudit anglais
    May 1997

Dying Shopping Malls Article

Found this on CNN.com this morning. It even mentions The Town Next Door TM

Mar 2003
    Blacksburg, VA
    Its kind of a related question but I'm looking for info specifically on the reuse of empty big boxes. Any tips would be appreciated.

Re: Dying Shopping Malls Article

Interesting article!!!! Yeah, there are some interesting trends out there..here in Louisville the downtown area is becoming revived and reinvented in some ways. two of the suburban malls have been in financial trouble and there are stores leaving, even anchors, as a result of low traffic.

May 2003
    Near the Geysers
    That's a good question for planners. We have built so much excess commercial space over the past 40-50 years that we need to consider how it will be re-used when abandoned. Will it be the fake downtowns, like those in the CNN article? Or is something else on the way?

Starting with shopping centers, retail paradigms have had a short life span.

Prior to 1960, virtually all major retail took place in the downtown, which had been the retail center for generations.

Malls started in the 1960's. In 20 years the market was saturated, and very few were built after 1980. And the big boxes were starting to come on line.

Category killer big boxes came into their own in the 1980's. They are still being built but there aren't many new markets left.

The same is true for discount department stores like Wal Mart and Target.

Mega movie complexes have very quickly saturated their own market.

The key element is that these retail trends require a large market area and they are parisitic either on the previous retail trend or on themselves.

Any ideas on the next retail paradigm?

Aug 2002
    I can't help but wonder if these dying malls will result in a revival of the downtown retail model. Personally, I hate going to malls because they have gotten too big, too sanitized... and there's nothing interesting to look at.

Last weekend a friend and I went on a historic house tour, then drove to a nearby city, known for its art galleries and antique shops, to have lunch and walk around. We had a great time strolling along the main street, browsing the merchandise in the storefronts and people-watching. We both enjoyed the experience of being in an interesting, friendly downtown, instead of a bland, boring, corporate mall...

Sep 2001
    skating on thin ice
    My take on this subject.

Downtowns with independent merchants will serve a purpose for two segments of the shopping market. Those that shop for entertainment (non buyers) and those that shop for specific items that are not chain related (luxury / discretionary items)

Malls will continue to house the american eagles and gaps of the world and continue to attract people who want the homogeneity of the mall and brand lifestyles.

Big boxes will battle one another for market share and provide goods and services based soley on price and perceived value.

I think the next wave of shopping is a return to service based retailers or retailers that can distingush the products they sell or the manner in which they sell them from others.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Jun 2003
    NSW, Australia
    I think the likely future in retailing is more choice. People critical of mall type shopping complain about loss of choice through the repetition of chain stores. Also the typical mall store will have to compete with the internet in some categories, whereas for smaller businesses the internet is more of an enabler (especially in non-food categories). It doesn't necessarily follow that malls can't respond to this criticism but the business paractices of many franchise and chain store organisations will make it hard for them to compete in that sort of sub-market.

I agree with DONK that the chains and franchises will not implode - the WallMart discussion emphasised that for many, shopping on price and perceived value is critical - but variety and choice should return.

I hope variety and choice win out...all malls seem to be the same despite their geographical location..so uniform and controlled places that have a sterile feel by and large.

Apr 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    the problems with the economics of malls and "fake" downtowns is that one company owns everything.

When one landlord has too many holdings in suburban downtowns (that may seem oxymoronic to those of you from the south and west but it's not) we see the same problems.

If a handful of developers were invited to the table, they had certain design guidelines, and properties were built to spec. it would take away a lot of the "fakeness" that people percieve in these new shopping centers and it would keep the place dynamic. Big malls can hold out for a wealthier tenant because the cost is spread out over a hundred or so units. If a landlord has two or three holdings he has to move on it - fast.
    Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 9
    Last post: 30 May 2012, 9:08 PM
  2. Replies: 33
    Last post: 15 Dec 2009, 8:39 AM
  3. Shopping malls and urban sprawl
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 05 Jan 2009, 7:08 PM
  4. Query: the history of shopping malls
    Design, Space, and Place