Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chateau Tranplanner

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997

Chateau Tranplanner

Three weeks ago, I wasn't even looking at moving. I didn't particularly like renting, but I didn't think I could afford a house in the City.

Two weeks ago, my wife and I decided on the spur of the moment to stop in at an open house we were passing by (just to be nosy).

A week and a half ago, I contacted a Real Estate Agent.

A week ago, we spent a Saturday morning looking at houses (the open house house had already gone).

5 days ago, we put in a conditional offer on a little bungalow.

3 days ago, we signed the counter-offer, and I got financing secured.

Tomorrow, I do the house inspection, and hopefully sign off the conditions.

I think we lucked out - the housing market is pretty expensive in Toronto right now, but we managed to snag this house for a good price. It needs a fair bit of work, but nothing that can't be handled by ourselves, with some family help. It's small, but it'll be cosy.

And I can ride my bike to work (approx. 8km/5 mi. each way).

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Congrats! Hope everything goes well for y'all.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Congratulations! Looks like an interesting home. When was it built?

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    The tax roll says it was built in 1939. It has some nice original moulding, and hardwood floors too. Some of the windows are also original, but they need replacing.

It's a corner lot (30'x102'), with a detached garage accessed from the flanking street. The house itself is about 1400 s.f. total (including the basement).

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Thats a neat looking home. Good luck with the inspection.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Ah welcome to the joys of homeownership .... the kid is just around the corner now.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    OMG! It's such a cute house! It looks like a little hobbit house, but just not under a pile of dirt. Congratulations on your impending homeownership and subsequent patronage of Home Depot!

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Originally posted by Downtown
    OMG! It's such a cute house! It looks like a little hobbit house, but just not under a pile of dirt. Congratulations on your impending homeownership and subsequent patronage of Home Depot!
    Well, the ceilings in the basement are just barely 6' so I guess you could call it a hobbit house Eventually, we'll have the basement dug out...

My wife and I spent most of Saturday afternoon wandering through Home Depot...

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Originally posted by Tranplanner
    Well, the ceilings in the basement are just barely 6' so I guess you could call it a hobbit house Eventually, we'll have the basement dug out...

6' total? Meaning if I jumped I'd hit my head?James would surely look like Gandalf in the house! Oh, the charm of it all! I love the look, I wish we had older homes in AZ- nothing holds up in the heat.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Nice house... And I hope everything goes well

Too bad about the basement though :p only 6'... I'd barely miss the ceiling!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I like bungalows! Congrats!

We should have a "post pictures of your house" thread to consolidate 'em all.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    not to _______ on your parade
    but am concerned about digging out basement
    - un-earthing any buried _____?
    - going below footers or foundation?
    - level of water table/floodplain?
    - digging out by shovel and bucket?

sorry enough ? already
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Congrats on your new master, it looks like a great house! You might as well just go ahead and fork over the credit card to HD or Lowe's now, though. The consolation is that, despite the initial shock and pain of buying all the crap you'll need to fix it up, it's actually pretty fun.

God luck on inspection and closing.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Thanks all,

Did the home inspection today...a few minor surprises (I knew the house needed a bit of work), but nothing catastrophic.

As for the basement, I'm 5'10'' myself, and find that I involuntarily hunch over when I'm down there, even though there's a couple of inches clearance for me. My three closest friends are all over 6', so I think we'll be doing most of our entertaining upstairs.

As for digging out, well - I'm not worried about finding anything buried under the floor. We'll make sure to shore up the foundations and footings before starting - I was comtemplating doing it myself, but I think I'll end up getting a contractor in. It's more of a long-term project at any rate.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Seems to me you'd go below footing leval and would be hard to match back in. What about the possibility of raising up the house and adding a course to three to the top of foundation?

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Congrats on the new digs! cute place for sure

wheeee fun stuff
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Congratulations on the house. Now you can yell things about property values at public meetings

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Originally posted by Seabishop
    Now you can yell things about property values at public meetings
    I'm just waiting for the day I get to yell at the neigbour's kids to "get the hell off my lawn"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm just waiting for the day I get to yell at the neigbour's kids to "get the hell off my lawn"
    Sweet! Being an ornery, cranky old cuss to the neighbor kids is the best thing about home ownership.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Off-topic:
    Just wait until the first drunk neighborhood kid decides to drive up on your lawn. You hear it, then get up and drive around the the neighborhood and find the dirt tracks go straight to his house. You wake up his folks at 4:00 am with the cops on the way. When the cops put the braclets on him (vandalism, curfew and DUI) it is sweet satisfaction watching him beg you to drop the charges. Then you say, "Danny, I've sent younger boys than you to the gas chamber. I didn't want to do it, I felt I owed it to them." That is home owner satifaction in a big big way.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Now with the the joys of home ownership you will be spending all your free time and money at your local big box, no sense of place, home improvement retail establishment. I just built a home and moved in last weekend and find myself at 'home lowes depot' several times a week. It never ends. Congrats on the home.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Uh oh, you're not going to be one of those lawn-obsessed homeowners out fertilizing and mowing all weekend, are you?!

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Originally posted by Mud Princess
    Uh oh, you're not going to be one of those lawn-obsessed homeowners out fertilizing and mowing all weekend, are you?!
    No - we're going to tear up most of the front lawn and "naturalize" it (wildflowers, shrubs, etc.). The back garden will have a nice veggie patch, and more flowers. I'm actually going to buy a manual "pushmower" to cut the grass.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Nice bungalow. Try to look at a book called Outside the Bungalow by Duchscherer and Keister if you want some landscaping ideas, or comfirmation that you are doing it right.

You'll love the push mower! No noise or smoke. Theoretically, you can cut grass at 6 AM and not disturb the neighbors.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Great find... get some good landscaping done, and you will have neighbors stopping infront of your place and mentioning to one another how great the place looks.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Tranplanner enters the Clubbbbbe!!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 20 Jul 2007, 5:56 PM
  2. Tranplanner went Clubbbbing
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 16 Aug 2004, 9:31 AM