Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do you consider yourself "too materialistic"?

Registered
    Oct 2001

Do you consider yourself "too materialistic"?

Inspired by the "too many cars" thread, a semi-serious thread

Do you consider yourself excessively "materialistic"? Are you a consumer drone, the hero of the American economy? Or are Gandhi and the back-to-the-earth for simplicity's sake movement your icons?

I am way too materialistic and not very "spiritual" (agnostic). I hate the thought patterns that make me do things like "want" a V8, overpowered luxury car like an Audi S4-or to read architecture magazines about houses I can never afford or should never need.. But, will that ever change? I don't know

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I often pass on things that I want due to the costs and realization that those things are not necessities. However, when it comes to those things that I really want, I conquer.

Right now, I really want a computer notebook and I will eventually get one. Oh, hell, I'm not fooling myself. I am materialistic, but not too damn materialistic!
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    i may be materialistic... but not for the excessive cars... just shear procrastination due to the fact that I hate the process of selling a car.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I becmome less materialistic every day. But I do have lust in my heart for certain toys. But these are not the toys mainstream society says a successful person should have. Thus, I am getting more comfortable with a disconnect with pop culture.

The real question is could you mentally survive if you had to start over if all of your stuff went away one day?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by el Guapo
    The real question is could you mentally survive if you had to start over if all of your stuff went away one day?
    Am I too materialistic? Yes. In our recent move I learned that I own more stuff than I think is either reasonable or necessary.

Could I survive if I had to start over? Probably, but it would not be fun.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I admit to being on the road to Trixiedom

bad bad planner
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm not a slave to fashion but I enjoy new clothes. I enjoy eating out in nice restaurants. On a regular basis I drink expensive California wines. I occasionally smoke Cuban cigars (thanks Canada and the internet). None of our two cars (with the exception of the 1970 truck with the snow plow), is older than 3 threes. I suppose that places me in the materialistic column.

Materialism

I have two kids (ages 6 and 4). I last saw my own materialism the day my wife first told me she was prego. Now life is entirely about the kids and how I can prepare them for the future.

I never thought I'd like being in this position, because I was very materialistic. But it really is much easier.

Anyway, I never saw a hearse with a luggage rack.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Oct 2001
    PlannerGirl: I bet you are not a "Charter Subscriber" to Dwell magazine like I am Part of that side of me is the wannabe architect that lies beneath many planners' cold bureaucratic exteriors.

El Guapo: I sorta agree with you a little bit. A lot of my materialism is not really tied to "standard" consumer stuff. I don't want a big screen television (hell, I refuse to subscribe to cable-I hated writing that $35 check each month), I don't want a really BIG house (just a nice arhcitect-designed one), etc. I buy a lot of artsy things that I find cool. I buy way too many books and CDs.

Maybe with some things....I drive a nice, fully loaded Accord because I didn't want to buy another junker car (I had never spent over 2000 for a car up until this point.) I couldn't afford a new Accord, but I wanted things like a V6 engine, leather interior, etc., so I bought a used one instead of a more practical new Civic. I didn't need leather seats and power everything, but I really wanted it, which is pretty materialistic, I suppose.

I also find myself looking in awe at better cars like BMW 3-series, VW Passats, and Audi's thinking that I would like one of them as my next car. Do I really need an 8 speker system and a navigation system? No, but it is nice to dream.

I also have problems with electronics and gadgets. If I see something really cool, no matter how much I don't need it, I find it hard to resist. Some recent examples:

An in-dash mp3 player.
    A wireless MP3 transmitter that allows me to play mp3s from my computer to any stereo in the house.
    Outdoor speakers for my deck.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I don't know if I am materialistic or not. I think I may be, but don't own much or really want that much, so it is hard to tell. It is also probably a function of where I live.

What I do know is that I either buy exactly what I want or nothing at all. The main thing is that what I usually want is expensive, and I'd rather wait then suffer buyer's remorse.

Here are some juxtapositions in my life.

1) Own about $10 000 in bikes that I paid cash for, yet drive a 10 year old car that was a write off/repair.
    2) Don't own a VCR or DVD player or computer.
    3) Own 2 chairs for the living room a dining room table and 4 chairs.
    4) Have about 50 pint glasses in my collection, yet only have silverware for 4 people.
    5) Own over 1000 books plus another 1000 comic books
    6) Own about 200 CD's and 200-300LPs
    7) Only art I own is a signed vonnegut print.
    8) house is not done, even though if i did not buy books or CD's for about 2 months it would be.
    9) The total I owe on my house is probably less then anyone else's mortgage payment for a month.

I can go 2-3 weeks without buying anything, other than food without any problem.
    Last edited by donk; 10 Sep 2003 at 2:59 PM.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Living in this area has made me more materialistic than i thought i could ever be. That and who I have dated.

I live in the trendy part of Arlington
    my car is 3 years old and im looking for another
    i have 2 computers
    my dogs eat high end food and go to a puppy resort when i travel.
    the dogs eat hand made cookies from a "Shoppe" for dogs in a trendy part of Old town.
    I have all sorts of trendy electronic "stuff" and want more

though i am proud to say i dont own a TV

I drink my various drinks from Starbucks and talk stupid politics stuff at the Barns and Noble down the street.
    my personalized tag has my sorority letters on it.
    I shop in Georgetown
    I wear designer parfume
    my body products come from a trendy little place in Chicago
    Though it was a gift my watch costs more than my rent
    I eat out more than in
    I go to snoby outdoor classical concerts at Wolftrap and drink my South African or Chilaien (sp?) wine.
    I get my hair done at a "Salon"
    I tan at a snotty place
    i have 3 leather coats, 3 fleece jackets, a ski coat (bought just so i could go to Vail) etc etc

i own Burberry and wear it proudly

*hangs her head* next thing ya know Ill marry a republican and Ill be doomed But I did stop dating the BMW driving lawyer..is there hope for me?
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Oct 2001
    That's quite a library. I am in awe.

I've gone through a bad patch of overspending (which I periodically do), so my buying days are over for a few months

Plannergirl: I am in awe of you, as well. Not quite Burberry, but Banana Republic is not as cheap as I should dress. (Dammit, their new dress shirts just fit better!). I like yuppie coffee drinks, too.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Compared to most people my age, & socio-economic background - no. I'm not into cars or clothes. I do lust after certain hobby things I can't afford though. I grew up with much less stuff so I think I would fare well without it.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Forgot this one, and PG's comments made me think about it. Have a 150 bike computer, but don't own a watch.

My book collection is almost 20 years in the making. I started really young buying books with my allowance and money I earned from odd jobs. Same with the records, however, I left them at my parent's because I can't afford a turntable I would like, nor do i have the space for them or a good stereo.
    Some other juxtapositions.

The shoes I am wearing today are 8 years old, but have been resoled and healed 8 times at least and were pretty expensive when I bought them.

I have no problem spending $20 on a pair of cycling socks.

Oh, and all of the prices are CDN$$

I'll add another, i like good soaps too.
    Last edited by donk; 10 Sep 2003 at 3:24 PM.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    I have lots of toys and hobby's. Love each and every one of them. Materialism is a good thing that a person should not feel guilty of. The problem comes when it is the be-all and end-all of life.

After military service, a person figures out what they really "need" to subsist on. Everything else is just fluff. I have strong belief in something outside myself as well as a desire to acquire a lot of crap for no good reason The two things are not incompatible.
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    No, I'm not materialist... How dare you think of me in such way, you know, I really need the rolex, and the expensive clothing, trips to Europe and Caribean. :-P

No... I'm actually a cheap bastard :-} Though I like some special tastes, as long as I'm not paying

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I consider myself materialistic but not "too." I love to buy quality clothes, accessories, etc. at bargain prices. No, you probably won't see me in a thrift store but you will see me at a one day sale or sifting through the final clearance racks at the mall. I'm not afraid to mix Walmart clothes with my Ann Taylor clothes and I do carry what some may call ridiculously expensive purses.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I don't think I'm overly materialistic. Although I wish I had a nicer car (more for the reliability/gas mileage reason), I scoff at a monthly payment. I'll just keep driving my little truck until it finally dies.

In my adult life (until I moved to Edmonton) my materialism played second fiddle to my wanderlust. If I was still single I'd probably still live that way: simple living, exotic vacations.

I think my materialism will come out more when we buy the new house. I grew up in very nice houses, and I have definite ideas about what I want in my 'dream home'. I don't need a large house, as long as it has the amenities I want. Like... someday I want an ensuite bathroom with a jacuzzi tub. I want french doors in the living room that lead out to a deck and spa. I'd like a solarium so I can grow the plants I miss so much from So. Cal. I want a wet bar and a pool table... Okay, so maybe I am materialistic after all. :-C

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Yes and no. Bought a new car so I could save on gas mileage and repairs, but kept the old one, which is nearly paid for. Used to work at Ann Taylor, so I have a wardrobe that is 60% their stuff-but about 4 years old. Shop obsessively at Target, including groceries. Buy my doggies fancy dog food--and both dogs were free rescued hounds. Live in an old ranch house filled with a mix of hand-me-downs, Target, and IKEA furniture--but really want a Phillipe Starke chair. So, a mix, like most of you, looks like. Yes on the things that count, like good food, books (3,000 and counting, but worked at a used bookstore for years), music, and dogs. No on almost everything else.
    I don't dream. I plan.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Yes, but I tend to pick and chose what I am materialistic about. I don’t care about cars or clothes and such; and they do not impress me. I would rather spend my money on travel or eating at really nice restaurants. Buying art or gourmet food, coffee etc…, the things that make “me” happy, that "I" enjoy, not just to impress others.

I would also rather have a crappy car and a crappy boat that just a one nice car. More items, less quality. So does that make me more of less materialistic?
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    how this for being cheap or frugle,
    when I moved all I had was a roll-away cot. I made due for a couple of years before i bought a bed.
    or
    I have a 10 yr old car with only 115,000 miles on it.
    or
    have a 15 yr old tv without a remote.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Originally posted by Planderella
    No, you probably won't see me in a thrift store but you will see me at a one day sale or sifting through the final clearance racks at the mall. I'm not afraid to mix Walmart clothes with my Ann Taylor clothes and I do carry what some may call ridiculously expensive purses.
    I can get better stuff at the thrift store than at Wal-Mart...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Only on some things. I like driving newish cars but not expensive cars. I never got close to spending 20K on a car until I got the CR-V this year. My house is 1200 s.f., built in 1957. I lived here 6 years with a harvest gold fridge that came with the house, and finally got the dream fridge a few months ago. I'm just looking at replacing the hideous drapes.

I used to buy tons of books, but now mostly use the library, altho' I love to buy cookbooks.

I rarely eat out, but I send my son to a private school, and buy him too many video games. But I have only a $99 bike.

Hardly ever buy new clothes anymore, and will actually wear dockers knock-offs from Wal-Mart. I only buy dresses at the mall, but only on sale. I buy expensive make-up because it's the only brand that doesn't give me a rash.

Guess that's about it.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    I get a sense of materialistic satisfaction when I buy fishing rods/reels, wine and tools (not only power tools).

I don't think you can be a little bit materialistic. We might try to play it down by referring to how cheap or utilitarian the items we buy for pleasure are. Truly non-materialistic individuals are hard to find. Those I've come across seem to be in the middle of an experiment.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Apr 2013, 5:10 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 14 Sep 2011, 8:38 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 25 Jun 2007, 10:39 AM
  4. Replies: 25
    Last post: 11 Sep 2003, 11:14 PM