Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Super Walmarts in Urban/Inner City Areas

Registered
    Dec 1998

Super Walmarts in Urban/Inner City Areas

I'm looking for information on Super Walmarts or other big box retailers that have located in urban/inner city areas. This information can be in the form of staff reports, TIA's, feasibility studies, pictures, personal testimonies, etc. Thanks in advance!

Registered
    Jul 1998

Have they ever done that?

Registered
    Dec 1998
    If they haven't, then New Orleans will be the very first to get a Super Walmart within its inner city.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996

Try Rutland, VT

I know that Rutland, VT has a "downtown" Wal-Mart, but it's not a Super. It may be a start.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Dec 2001
    East Peoria has a super wal-mart right across from the downtown Peoria. There is the Illinois River seperating the two towns.

I am extreamely opposed to super-walmarts in city/urban areas, it's like throwing an Ikea in there. it'll just generate a insane traffic problem, and de-densify a mass-transit orienated area. (as most inner city areas are)

opinions?

Registered
    Aug 2001

WalMart in "the core"

There is one going up right down the 'hood from me i Milwaukee. They tore down the City's first indoor shopping mall (which by rights was a good idea in itself), and they are replacing it with the Super Wal Mart and a variety of mom-n-pop stores. Neat thing is, it's ped-friendly and recreates the "downtown feel" even with the box!

article about it:

http://www.jsonline.com/bym/news/sep...ol21092001.asp

This is the firm that did the plan:

www.pdisite.com/

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Chicago started a program, "Retail Chicago," a few years back. They have had some good success attracting retail to all parts of the city, and are one of the best sources I can think of.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I read a story in either the Chicago Tribune or Sun-times yesterday about a proposed wall mart in Chicago. The developers wanted several million dollars from the city to account for anticipated theft because it is being proposed in a low-income area.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Theft in Chicago? There are some people who would suggest the biggest source of theft in Chicago is the political system. At least that used to be true back in the machine days. I think things in Chicago have cleaned up. Now it is the State of Illinois which appears to be corrupt.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Yes, I think it is a quite insulting to demand money from the City on the assumption that there will be theft.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    It's crazy to my way of thinking. They are the ones that want to put a store there and then they expect someone else to pay them money just in case they miscalculated so they wont have to risk loosing any. Their in business they can take the breaks like everyone else.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Mary wrote:
    It's crazy to my way of thinking. They are the ones that want to put a store there and then they expect someone else to pay them money just in case they miscalculated so they wont have to risk loosing any. Their in business they can take the breaks like everyone else.
    didn't you pay attention to anything lately. All corporations need governement assistance. Enron made $200 million plus of taxes every year. They didn't pay a dime and took $200 million EXTRA from the government. Comparably, that means that i should have got ALL of my taxes back, PLUS about $1000 bucks.

Chicago seems smart with retailers, they denied an IKEA near the bucktown neighborhood because the amount of QOL issues and traffic problems it would generate outweighed its' return in taxes.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    boiker

"didn't you pay attention to anything lately. All corporations need governement assistance. Enron made $200 million plus of taxes every year. They didn't pay a dime and took $200 million EXTRA from the government. Comparably, that means that i should have got ALL of my taxes back, PLUS about $1000 bucks."

What can I say I keep hoping that Capitalism has at least a little basis in reality.

Registered
    Jul 1998

planasaurus wrote:
    I read a story in either the Chicago Tribune or Sun-times yesterday about a proposed wall mart in Chicago. The developers wanted several million dollars from the city to account for anticipated theft because it is being proposed in a low-income area.

So, since we have a town of 10,000 and lower than average crime rate, they should pay us for what they don't lose? Sounds like fair logic to me, I may ask them that when they show up for their permit.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Conservatives Against Corporate Welfare

This is another hot button of mine. In another thread we are talking about the loss of values. Corporations play one town against another. “If you give us this we may locate in your humble hamlet.” I would like to ban incentives nation-wide. Not very conservative...I know. Corporations should have to play by the rules I as a citizen have to obey – all of them. A large pork processor once flirted with a town I worked and lived in.

The locals couldn’t kiss enough hinney. When they were all discussing possible incentive packages I suggested we offer our wives and daughters for their carnal pleasure. We were offering everything else, why stop short. That would surely separate us from the other towns. Perhaps we could attract more jobs if we employed talented service personnel at the EcoDevo Office. For some reason I was not asked back to future meetings.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    yes.. and corps expect special treatment. What i was told by a vetern planner. If they really want to locate in your city, they'll do anything to make it a reality.

Usually most stores have invested so much money into demographics, growth trends, real estate, etc.. that they basically commit themselves to a location even before they talk to the city. I know this is how home depot operates. As an intern, i worked iwth a planner and we got them to use wrought iron around their store yard, add decoritive columns to the facade use multiple shades of color, reduce their sign size, etc.

for once, it seemed the corp jumped through hoops for us, and not the reverese.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    elGuapo,
    you weren't invited back because they had a picture of your daughter. the populus out here is up in arms because we don't have a (fill in a favorite store/restaurant) that our competing neighbor was able to land. problem is the neighbor doled out $600K in bribes (I'm sorry...incentives) to get it. economic development is total madness.

Registered
    Oct 2001

She's your daughter too...you heartless @^&^&*

Our little secret is out now. At least that's what you said when we went on Springer!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    As an economic developer, I know how frustrating it is to work the incentives game. There are a couple nearby communities that I can talk to and we agree not to compete. Then again, there is one neighboring community, with no professional staff, only a committee of locals, who will approach companies in our cities with the "Free Land!" pitch. They are the only ones within at least fifty miles doing that. What complete idiots. Get a clue or get out of the game.

SUper Walmarts in Urban Areas

The City of Dallas Plan Commission just defeated one that was planned in an urban neighborhood near Love Field (our inner city airport). It will now go to City Council. You might try the Dallas Morning News website to see if they have the story still. It was just last week.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Here is the link to the story mentioned.

http://www.dallasnews.com/latestnews...art.339ff.html

Re: WalMart in "the core"

[QUOTE]bturk wrote:
    There is one going up right down the 'hood from me i Milwaukee. They tore down the City's first indoor shopping mall (which by rights was a good idea in itself), and they are replacing it with the Super Wal Mart and a variety of mom-n-pop stores. Neat thing is, it's ped-friendly and recreates the "downtown feel" even with the box!

As much as I dislike Wal Mart, this project is needed in the area and I looks like something you would find in an upscale suburb, not the inner city.

I did find it funny that Milwaukee's mayor called the development patriotic. Does that mean that whenever a Plan Commisison denies big-box development that they are anti-American?
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Dec 1998

UPDATE

When I first posted this message, the developers were preparing to submit the application for the Wal-Mart in addition to a myriad of other requests that I don't care to go into right now. The Commission staff worked long and strenuous hours to devise the best set of recommendations that we thought were possible given the circumstances. The Commission upheld the staff's recommendations much to the dismay of Wal-Mart, et. al. This issue split the community straight down socio-economic lines (read between the lines - black vs. white; rich vs. poor). The mayor appointed a so-called independent blue ribbon committee to make a recommendation to the City Council. They suggested ignoring the Commission's recommendation (as if they never existed). To make an extremely long story short, the City Council bent over and took it up the....by completely disregarding the Commission's recommendation and conceding to the developers.

Once the story about the Dallas Wal-Mart leaked across the state lines into New Orleans, everyone has been running around screaming "I told you so!!!" and so on and so forth. The CPC staff requested many of the same things that Wal-Mart offered to build in Dallas. They, Daphne Moore to be exact, stated before the entire city that a two-story Wal-Mart could not be built. The parking could not be reduced. A structured multi-level garage was not feasible....blah...blah....blah.

That was the last project I worked on before I left the CPC for the private sector and it was a HUGE learning experience for me.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Hee Hee, substitute a different national chain name, and I've got the same story (first half).

In the review stages we actully took the road trips (for the story sake we'll say to Dallas) to get the digital photos of their enhanced sites and used them to assert our point that a dryvit box wouldnt be accepted when they are using face brink in Dallas. The petitioner looked our Mayor square in the eyes - on TV - and said in snotty tone "Yeah, well it's not like you are Dallas" That statement was followed by "Motion to Deny" then "second" . It was a unanimous kick in the A$$ to the petitioner.

Oh, I just love the "Well you're not _____" comment whenever you ask for something nicer.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. [OMG!] urban areas
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 05 Apr 2011, 9:11 PM
  2. Interstates in urban areas
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 12 Apr 2008, 11:56 PM