Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: I just needed to Vent...

Registered
    Apr 2003

I just needed to Vent...

OK I know it is Friday morning… but I need to vent. I do not understand the reverence that the Senior Planner as for the FORMER Senior Planner and now Chair of the Planning Commission. He is an Old School Planner, where is only planning knowledge comes from his job as the city planner. He does not feel that APA has anything to offer, that computers are a fad. He has done several redevelopment plans for the city, but only ONE has actually happened, and it failed to do what it was intended to do. Don’t get me wrong, this guy does know the area, and has a lot of hands on knowledge. But he is unwilling to learn from anyone else. He is the type that would follow the saying, “you can’t teach an old dog new tricks.” It is not because he can not lean them, but he does not want to. The part that bothers me is our senior planner, who is looking at going for his AICP next year, is willing to learn new things. The Senior Planner (current) was offered to teach members of other municipalities about Smart Growth. He recommended that the old senior planner (now chair of our commission) do it. I am confident that he does not know much if anything about Smart Growth. And he is recommended to teach it? WHERE AM I, THE TWILIGHT ZONE? I understand that we should have respect for those who have planned before us because they have a lot of hands on knowledge to offer us, but when it comes to new concepts for them, and how to apply them, when they are not willing to learn about new ideas, is that such a good idea?

OK… now I am done and I feel better.

Does anyone else deal with similar stressful situations?
    Last edited by michaelskis; 11 Jul 2003 at 10:26 AM.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

I have a similar situation with the Chairman of the County's Automated Land Information System (GIS) Committee.They basically create all kinds of digital maps for communities.

He thinks that computers are a fad, GIS is a fad, and people should not have access to GIS information, unless they really need it.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Michael,

As long as you work for a govt or quasi-govt agency you are always going to have what you've described to some extent. My advice, KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT ABOUT IT ON HERE!! These boards are read by alot of people who do not post, and you aren't exactly anonymous.

I sat and let my disgust with my former job brew for years until I finally belw up at some of the slackers that I worked with, not recommended for you to do it. Keep your eyes open for bigger and better opportunities, and try not to lose any sleep over it.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Maybe it is a trick and by teaching it, he will accidentally learn about it?
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Despite some problems, I realize how lucky I am here. The staff is always willing to learn and try new things. The elected and appointed officials usually support these things. It is a very progressive atmosphere. Even when some staff are reluctant to get too familiar with computers, themselves, they support other staff adopting new technology.

I guess the oint is that some places are better than others, and it does not hurt to keep an eye open for another opportunity. Just realize that while the next job may not have the issues you raise here, it will likely have others that you don't need to face now.

I'm not sure that I would echo Mike D's sentiments on keeping quiet here. Perhaps we are not entirely anonymous (some of us, especially), but I think the support we get from other Cyburbians helps to deal with the problem. Whether you post it here or not, your frustration is probably noted by others at your workplace.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Repo Man
    I have a similar situation with the Chairman of the County's Automated Land Information System (GIS) Committee.They basically create all kinds of digital maps for communities.

He thinks that computers are a fad, GIS is a fad, and people should not have access to GIS information, unless they really need it.
    Repo - are you talking about MCAMLIS? I could rant for an hour about how f-ed up it is.

edit: to stay on topic, I feel your pain. We deal with a lot of planners, especially at the county level, that are in "coast to retirement" mode. Its easier to do what I know and accumulate the pension, than contribute meaningful new things. I hat it too.

I do think you need to tone it down a bit, esp when ranting about your superiors.

Registered
    May 2003
    Also this board is indexed by Google. I have a friend who vented about an employeer on a board a bit ago, and her employer googled for her and repremanded her when they found it. Why she was working for someone who'd be so invasive as to google for an existing employee is another question, but I know googling for job applicants is getting popular now.

We have to watch what we say on the internet nowdays, unfortunatly.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I deal with the stress of ignorant superiors and coworkers by talking with them less and less. But I can do that as I have been given quite a bit autonomy in my job.

As for googling my name, nothing bad / improper comes up for the first 2 pages. Most are good things (volunteer work).
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by jordanb
    Also this board is indexed by Google. I have a friend who vented about an employeer on a board a bit ago, and her employer googled for her and repremanded her when they found it. Why she was working for someone who'd be so invasive as to google for an existing employee is another question, but I know googling for job applicants is getting popular now.

We have to watch what we say on the internet nowdays, unfortunatly.
    That's no problem for me because my boss is a genius who's good looks alone can lead this city to greatness.

Michael, I know its been discussed before, but I wouldn't hesitate to look elsewhere because you don't like the job OR the location. If its brought up by an interviewer you can just say you needed to get closer to family or something like that.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Ugh, I hear you. I took a few days off of work to get away from the job. We've got a coworker who thinks by stepping on people she'll get up the ladder faster. She's not a team player by any means and what's worse is the boss likes her work. She is one of four in the same position yet still refers to us as "her staff". She belittles, degrades, and makes fun of staff- called two of the new employees "wh*res", tells another he never works, and is alsways in everyone else's business- including looking through the vacation/sick log and reporting to the boss she didn't think someone was claiming all of their hours (instead of letting her know it's "nunya" they just took the book off the shelf so she couldn't see it anymore). She yells at people if they come in late or flex after a 14 hours day prior and come in a 9 after it's cleared by our supervisor, yet she takes 2 hour lunches when she's the customer service planner and has to cover the counter all day. I would say something, but it's better to have my ducks in a row and do my work than to go complaining to the boss. I doubt even if someone did anything would happen.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Originally posted by Habanero
    Ugh, I hear you. I took a few days off of work to get away from the job. We've got a coworker who thinks by stepping on people she'll get up the ladder faster. She's not a team player by any means and what's worse is the boss likes her work. She is one of four in the same position yet still refers to us as "her staff". She belittles, degrades, and makes fun of staff- called two of the new employees "wh*res", tells another he never works, and is alsways in everyone else's business- including looking through the vacation/sick log and reporting to the boss she didn't think someone was claiming all of their hours (instead of letting her know it's "nunya" they just took the book off the shelf so she couldn't see it anymore). She yells at people if they come in late or flex after a 14 hours day prior and come in a 9 after it's cleared by our supervisor, yet she takes 2 hour lunches when she's the customer service planner and has to cover the counter all day. I would say something, but it's better to have my ducks in a row and do my work than to go complaining to the boss. I doubt even if someone did anything would happen.

I think she works in my office as well. She refers to me as her staff, even though we are equal in status. But you are right, there is no use complaining, that only makes the complainer look bad.

Just smile and ignore, and take satisfaction that she is only like this because she is an un-happy person with most likely very low self-esteem.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Apr 2003
    The more that I read this, I am feeling better that every one has the same problems as I do.

The former senior planner knows that I do not think highly of him, and he has not thought good of me since I introduced GIS to the city.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I think just about every office has that one "special person" that seems bent on making life miserable for everyone else. I guess just grin and bear it. If they keep that attitude up for to long, it will come back to bite them eventually. That fall back down the ladder can be pretty tough if you weren't nice on the way up!

I try to be careful about what I post on this site since my mayor like to breeze around on here, especially in the economic development forum. Even if I wrote something negative about him, he understands the purpose of this site and probably wouldn't get to upset. Not all elected officials/bosses are like that though.

As for having a stubborn old school planner teach on Smart Growth: I know that the best way for me to learn something is to teach it to someone else. Maybe by teaching about Smart Growth, your Senior Planner may realize that some of these ideas from "young whipper-snappers" aren't so bad!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Feb 2003

As far as the privacy / caution topic…

That is why I use my real name on this site, so I will be careful what I say and it wont come back and bight me in the butt too bad when someone puts said “alias” together with said “real” name. But this is my choice, and I do understand why most people use aliases, I have often considered changing to one, but, as I stated above…

Although I do speak my mind, and often put my feet in my mouth both here, there and everywhere.

But, that’s the way it is.

Originally posted by Chet
    Repo - are you talking about MCAMLIS? I could rant for an hour about how f-ed up it is.

Indeed I am. This organization has spent 12 million dollars and the output has been complete crap. It took them 12 years to create something in ArcInfo format. They don't have any type of internet mapping either. They seem to conduct study after study with no output whatsoever.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I try and am pretty sure I say nothing that i would not say with my real name posted, but it is nice to be a bit separated from this place and the "real" world. In fact, I think I may be nicer about some items here then I am in real life. (sorry, white trash and inbreds)
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Originally posted by Suburb Repairman
    Maybe by teaching about Smart Growth, your Senior Planner may realize that some of these ideas from "young whipper-snappers" aren't so bad!
    Just to clarify, the current senior planner and I agree on many (but not all issues) and we learn from each other. I get along most of the time with him. The person in question, retired from the senior planning position a few years ago. He does not work for the city at all, but is the chair of our planning commission. He comes into the office on a regular basis and acts like he is our boss. But he has no impact on my employment.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    You know, I didn't even realize that you could read posts on here without registering. Duh. I just figured it out last week.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    James found that out- he asked me about something after he saw me on here on day. It's really sweet, he's making an effort to understand what I do everyday when I go to work (not the posting part- the actual work part ).
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I can relate to coworkers that make life hell

Ive got one that thinks i dont know what im talking about when i tell them i can see/use their calender on outlook and outright acused me of spying on them when i showed them how it worked. There is also a feeling that voicemail is bad thus we dont have it.

Oh yes and there is being told you dont know what your talking about for using a term that is the correct term in one state but apparently not where I am now. "stupid" has also been used.

Talk about pissed off.

I could rant for hours on my job but as others have said be very very careful.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. You can't do that! (I need to vent!)
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 04 Mar 2005, 4:49 PM
  2. Public notification (was: A vent)
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 24 Nov 2003, 9:24 AM
  3. Public notification (was: A vent)
    Friday Afternoon Club