Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Am I way out of line on this?

Registered
    Dec 2001

Am I way out of line on this?

So we're trying to get higher walls around the techs in the front area and the main admin got all sorts of huffy and said she's going to quit if we "section her off". I just wanted to turn around and say "resignation accepted". Seriously, work is NOT social time and the fact that she thinks that this is a horrible attempt to segregate her from socializing with the techs... Here's the deal:
    She bothers me constantly (I'm the closest to her). I don't get my messages until "she remembers" (like the time my sister called to let me know my brother came out of his latest M.S. fiasco okay and was being released from the hospital, she didn't "remember" for 3 hours!!). She doesn't follow the dress code. I asked her to type a letter for me and she actually said "no, I don't have time". The entire admin staff thinks it is social time 24:7 and then gets upset when you put someone on hold and ask them to be a little more quiet. Now, we're having to change up all of the "wall plans" so she doesn't get upset.
    I mean, this isn't to say that I want to work in a stiff environment and don't socialize every now and then, but if you want your own office you should go get a degree and not threaten to quit because the department is trying to separate the techs from the admin staff and create offices for them.
    So am I completely out of line?
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Sounds in line to me

Excellent rant!

It would be a shame if the door hit her on the way out. Dump the broad before she brings everyone else on your support staff down to her level. Oh wait - sounds like she already might have.

The "I don't have time" is NEVER an acceptable answer. If she is busy she needs to inquire as to urgency and prioritize her tasks. Are you supervisory to this person? Who is? Start the write-ups. If you don't have authority at least document the incidents in writing to her supervisor. Starting a written history tends to scare the living buh-jesus out of most folks.

BTW - We have 8 foot cube walls for our tech staff, 4 foot walls or none at all for the rest of the support staff. The logic is sound to me.

Registered
    Dec 2001

Mu-hahahahahaha

That is my maniacal laugh while I rub my hands together with an evil grin. Technically, she is the tech secretary, although I'm not sure who to go to on the wall issue. She actually had the nerve to go to the senior planner on this, although I doubt she said the whole quitting thing to her.. She can't be that senseless.
    Good call on the documentation. I did that before on the messages issue and went straight to the admin supervisor.. but then when I asked her to be more quiet when I was on a call she went and told the admin supervisor I cursed at her. ARGH!
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

     
    Registered
    Feb 2002

Why is this your problem?

From what you are saying, it sounds like you do not have direct authority over her. Go talk to the person who does and let them know (in a nice way) that they have managment problem effecting your efficiency. Tell them what you need in order to get your work done and ask them what they want you to do.

Instead of listing problems. Proactivly list the actions you need this woman to do in order for you to work effectively. What is your manager going to say? ... no, I don't want this woman to do these things so that you can be effective? Hand your manager the solution that you need.

... and give your sister your direct phone line and rely on your voice mail as opposed to call forwarding to this woman!

Registered
    Aug 2001

Re: Why is this your problem?

Cosmic wrote:
    Instead of listing problems. Proactivly list the actions you need this woman to do in order for you to work effectively. What is your manager going to say? ... no, I don't want this woman to do these things so that you can be effective? Hand your manager the solution that you need.
    Excellent advice, Cosmic!!!!!!!!

Registered
    Oct 2001

I have a dream!

Circulate a memo the day before requesting that everyone in the office report to the parking lot ten minutes before work the next day. That morning line them up in a straight line. Then in a loud voice say the following: “OK, everyone that works here take one step forward. Then as they all do you yell out: “Not so freaking fast there (fill in the name).” and have someone else hand her a box full of her personal items. The remaining staff will now get the message. And you have effectively delivered the message that she is welcome to explore other career paths. At least that is how it works in my dreams.

I sure miss the Army. There was NO mis-communication there. Often the communication was very direct!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 10 Apr 2012, 11:41 AM
  2. CNN on line 2
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 20 May 2010, 10:29 PM
  3. Best Development Line of the DAY!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 06 Feb 2004, 9:02 PM