Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Who says planners aren't exciting people!

     
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    I haven't been back to Cyburbia for a few years. Its kind of nice to be back among the frustrated and deranged. I recognize a few of the names. So in the last few years, what have been the major changes in your lives? What has really happened to you in the last couple of years that has shaped your life?

Me? Let's see. Gotta a new boss and managed to break him in well. (Keep your thoughts "nice" everyone.) Got out of a lousy relationship and got back on my feet. Right now I am at a bit of a crossroads. ...a bit bored really. Maybe its a "turning 40" thing. I need some ideas. So come on everyone give me some options. Tell me about the exciting options for a planner in the fast lane!!!

I posted the original message a while ago and despite being read over 50 times no one has posted a reply. I guess planners really are boring. Is shuffling reports and feel downtrodden all we do? Or maybe that is just life in general as experienced by the majority. If I had known at 20 what 40 would be like, maybe I would have chucked university and spent the next 20 years selling cold drinks on a warm Balinese beach.

So all you planners, the meaning of life is....
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 17 Feb 2006 at 12:51 PM.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Yikes! One thing is that in the old boards, there was no registration, and a lot of users posted under multiple names -- it got us quite confused. Thus, the "no sockpuppet" configuration of the new bulletin board -- you have to regiater, you gotta' use one name.

What's this mean? Many here might not know who you are, if you posted under several different names in the old boards. Who do you recognize, aside from me? Drop some names ...

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Cosmic,

Changes in the last few years. Uggg. My life has become far more practical and focused. I used to go to ren faires, science fiction convensions, hang out with friends, and travel long distances across state to hang out with my boyfriend. Wondering why I was so busy.

In less than a year and a half I've moved across country. Driving with all my stuff in the moving van a friend a mine was helping to drive. I moved from Washington state to eastern Texas not a move I'd recomend without purpose. Icky hot and flat. New job... of course. Moved into the apartmet from the dark side. Met my boyfriends family and he met mine. Got Married. Broke a lease for the first time in my life. With enough justification that they gave me all my deposit etc. back with the hopes I suspect that I wouldn't take them to court. I didn't of course. Moved in with my man. Bought a home and moved into it. Had a baby. I believe that she's as cute and bright as a baby could be but I might be a bit biased. Went though a nice sized flood and a tornado. (First time I've ever been late to work due to tornado, but it was between me and the office after all.) The house turned out to be a lemon which produces it's own complications. Oh and I've also been diagnosed with MS now. Now I tell people I kinda miss the days when I thought I was busy.

All things considered I'd reccomend the joys of gardening and finding fun hobbies but then I wouldn't give up my marriage or baby for anything so I say find some things in life you enjoy and move forward.

Most of life is trade-offs and the only thing not worth doing is doing nothing at all.

     
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    Life is worth living if you make it that way.

I have never regretted trying something challenging and new. I have regretted NOT trying something challenging and new. I would rather give something a whirl than wonder later what it would have been like if...

Good thoughts Mary.

Cosmic

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 48
    Last post: 02 Jun 2013, 3:43 PM
  2. Exciting upcoming projects
    Environmental Planning
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 19 Nov 2010, 5:29 PM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last post: 28 Dec 2004, 2:51 PM