Urban planning community

Poll results: What will the sentence be?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • He will be cited for traffic violations and lose his license.

8 20.51%
  • He will be charged with manslaughter and given probation.

22 56.41%
  • He will be charged with manslaughter and spend the rest of his days in jail.

4 10.26%
  • Other (explain)

5 12.82%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: Eight killed and forty injured, the punishment will be...

Registered
    Aug 2001

Eight killed and forty injured, the punishment will be...

Another thread is already discussing the California guy, in his 80's, who mistook the gas pedal for the brake and mowed down a crowd of people at an outdoor market. Eight people have been killed and over forty were injured. This sort of thing happens all too often, but how does our judicial system deal with it? What do you think the charges and outcome will be?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I would assume that he'll get manslaughter of some sort. With at least 9 counts so far, I don't see how he could just get probation. I foresee a "house arrest" situation, so I picked "other".

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I sincerely doubt that they'll give an 80-odd year old person jail time. Maybe if this had been in Texas...

Registered
    Sep 2001
    If I was a sick 80 year old, time in prison would be good. Free medical care and drugs to keep you alive. He'll probably get time in some minimum security "club fed".
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Nov 2001
    This is sickening...wow...

He'll get probation and they'll take his drivers license away.
    "Dear Prudence...won't you open up your eyes? "

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    GIVE HIM THE CHAIR... (just kidding)

I think that they should do a house arrest, that he should loose his license, probation (for remainder of his life), Manslaughter, and require him to serve community service to pay off his fines, (unless he is rich, then fine him to the point where he has to worry about money)

I think that the bigger picture here is elderly people driving. I feel that in today’s society, elderly people (past the age of 70) should be required to have yearly driving tests, and have a doctors approval for mental, physical, and emotional health to keep there license. I have almost been hit by a few old people.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Feb 2000

Here I go again !!!

Revoke his license and give him a Segway.

Registered
    Apr 2002
    I don't understand how this could happen? Was this man a Catholic priest?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries

Eight killed and forty injured, the punishment will be...

I chose "he will be cited for traffic violations and lose his license" because that was the option I saw as most likely what he should be charged with.

He should be charged with vehicular homicide, 9 counts, and a variety of traffic offenses. He should both lose his license and his car. Sending him to prison, given his age, is not a viable option. The State would end up paying for his care and medical costs. He should receive house arrest, with the accompanying requirement that he wear a tracking bracelet.

As Dennis Miller used to say, "That's my opinion. I could be wrong."

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Revoke his license and give him a Segway.
    And if he falls off like W? He'll break all of his bones and then sue Segway big time!

He should get at least home arrest, if not jail...He won't last alive much, but at least we know he's going to hell :p
    Last edited by SkeLeton; 18 Jul 2003 at 10:23 AM.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by michaelskis
    GIVE HIM THE CHAIR... (just kidding)

I think that they should do a house arrest, that he should loose his license, probation (for remainder of his life), Manslaughter, and require him to serve community service to pay off his fines, (unless he is rich, then fine him to the point where he has to worry about money)

I think that the bigger picture here is elderly people driving. I feel that in today’s society, elderly people (past the age of 70) should be required to have yearly driving tests, and have a doctors approval for mental, physical, and emotional health to keep there license. I have almost been hit by a few old people.
    I wouldn't worry about him having much money. The lawsuits will take most of that.

As for testing, I am not sure that 70 is the time to begin annual testing. Many people I know who are that age are just fine. It probably is a good age at which to do a test and screening, but I would not begin the annual testing until 75.

I wonder what impact insurance companies could have on elderly driving. What if the insurance rates began to get progressivly higher after age 70 or so? Would seniors on a fixed income be less likely to drive if they were paying $500 a month for state-mandated insurance? Or might they instead drive without insurance? I don't think all of the states require it yet.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Every time I see a story along these lines, it seems that the ultimate determination is that the old guy had some sort of a seizure and gets completely exonerated.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I think nothing will happen to him personally, but to the elderly in general, I think alot of them are going to have their licenses revoked soon because of this.

The public transportation industry could benefit from the elderly losing their license's.

Registered
    Jul 2003

The toll is up to ten now...

I have a hard time suporting testing the driving abilities of the elderly at some predetermined age. There are probably 90-year-olds who drive just fine, and 25-year-olds who really have no business being behind the wheel.

Until I start seeing legislation about a nationwide ban on using cell phones while driving, I don't want to hear about revoking the licenses of the elderly.

Registered
    Jun 2003

Re: The toll is up to ten now...

Originally posted by moose
    I have a hard time suporting testing the driving abilities of the elderly at some predetermined age .... I don't want to hear about revoking the licenses of the elderly.
    Testing doesn't mean revoking.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I'm sorry, you're right, Rem. But I think my point is still a valid one.

Registered
    Nov 2002

Re: The toll is up to ten now...

Originally posted by moose
    I have a hard time suporting testing the driving abilities of the elderly at some predetermined age. There are probably 90-year-olds who drive just fine, and 25-year-olds who really have no business being behind the wheel.
    To be honost I have no problem with requiring retesting for all drivers, not just the elderly, every time their license is renewed. Typically this is every five years in most states.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    One of our local papers published the statistics. Young and old drivers tend to be the worst. A 75-year old is about as bad as an 16-year old. The 16-year old tends to improve, but the 75-year old will only get worse. Some places have begun implementing graduated licenses for youger drivers, based on the higher risk associated with this group. If the same risk exists for senior, then why not require more frequent testing as a means of taking the less safe ones off the road?

     
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    They should put him in front of a car moving at the same speed at which he killed the other people, and let him deal with the consequences if he can't get out of the way in time. (Put me down for 'other')

Registered
    Nov 2002
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Honestly, I expected something like this to occur in Florida before San Diego with all the blue-hairs running around down there! I guess the media is going to start covering this everyday, just like they did with shark attacks. I guess I was fortunate in that my grandparents understood they were becoming a hazard and voluntarily gave up their keys. They need to test people every couple of years so we can attempt to get the bad drivers off the road. By testing everybody, AARP and other groups can't use the "age discrimination" arguement.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    When, oh when will we realize the dangers of elderly drivers and finally put an end to street sales, open air markets, and farmer's markets?

Registered
    Apr 2002
    There may or may not be some political gyrations implying punishment but ultimately nothing significant will come of it. I'm afraid most people have been desensitized to automobile deaths and just accept it as a part of modern life
    Cheers,
    UrbanRunner
    :)

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    when you talk about about retesting
    I would encourage the complete package
    written exam - change the questions every couple of yrs.
    eye exam - beyond the standard alphabet/numbers by line
    but include signs and night vision.
    driving exam -
    driving record check - just don't take the applicant word for it.
    also increase the penalties.
    insurance check - same as above.

how should underlying medical conditions factor into testing/retesting?
    any thoughts on those defensive driving courses seen offered?
    the insurance companies will love this, increase the minimums of coverage?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. It Was Forty Years Ago Today...
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 10 Nov 2009, 9:09 AM
  2. Crime and Punishment
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 30 Jul 2009, 2:17 PM
  3. Forty-Second Street Light Rail