Urban planning community

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Music to Plan By

Registered
    Aug 2001

OK this is mean

I just downloaded the Primus cover of "Cotton Eye Joe" just to annoy eveery sane person in the office.

Registered
    Dec 2001

Re: OK this is mean

Originally posted by bturk
    I just downloaded the Primus cover of "Cotton Eye Joe" just to annoy eveery sane person in the office.
    what?!? not Wanda's Big Brown Beaver? Geez- that could get everyone to storm your office!
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Current Times Music

All of you planners and music lovers are very inspiring!
    Right now, with all the world turmoil, I am listening to "Monster", a 1960s peace and justice song from Steppenwolf.

"America, where are you now, don't you care about your sons and daughters......"
    Also "draft resister."
    and "rock and roll war"
    Gives some comfort.
    What are some of you listening to, inbetween talking heads on 24 hour cable stations?
    Earl
    Earl the Farthest North Cub Fan

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Today is mellow music, Norah Jones, Chick Corea, Diana Krall, etc. Something to sooth keep my entertained while I look over house permits.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I am pretty anti-war, but my commute car CD of choice this morning was Satyricon's new album "Volcano." Classic song: Black Lava! Not peace and love music by any means

Registered
    Nov 2001
    Todays it's

James - Getting Away With It...LIVE

brilliant stuff...great live sound and presence.
    "Dear Prudence...won't you open up your eyes? "

I've got a nice mp3 cd with The Eels, Beastie Boys, Beck, Ben Folds Five, Older REM, Grabage, and The Gorillaz. I am hoping it carries me through the afternoon.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Milwaukee---that's my home town. I thought polkas were king there-----
    Hey, all you great planners, whatever gets you through the day----I continue to be amazed at the diversity of tastes ----war or no war.
    Earl

Hi all--
    I saw the number of people looking under this thread was 1999---so just had to jump in and get us to 2000!
    Wow, I think planners are the most musical, and most diverse musical, professional groups in the land.
    Really, with all that is going on in the world, check out the 1969 Steppenwolf concept song --"Monster," with lyrics like "Now we are fighting a war over there---no matter who's the winner, we can't pay the costs.
    and "America where are you now, don't you care about your sons and daughters" ---with America standing for freedom and justice,........"dont you know we can't fight alone against the monster." America!!!!
    Makes a person think
    Let me know what music helps you to think at times like this.
    Peace to you all
    Earl

Quote Originally posted by Earl Finkler
    Here is a question that incorporates several of my passions.
    Does anybody have some good songs (including classic rock) to play while they are planning, writing, creating, etc?

Here are some of mine:
    1. Magic Carpet Ride ---Steppenwolf
    2. Out in the Country--Three Dog Night
    3. We Built This City ---Jefferson Starship
    and.....one of my recent favorites:

4. I am a Man of Constant Sorrow
    (from O Brother Where Art Thou?)

Stay wild fellow planners
    Earl
    Hey, it must be the aurora or an incredible swath of boredom, but this initial post apparently has had over 3,000 hits. But no new posters in quite a while. Meanwhile the world of music keeps going round and round.
    I thought I had discovered something new --World Music---recently when I interviewed the son of Alaska Native Leader Willie Hensley, Eric Mason, who lives in Florida and is part of a World Music Group Brother Roots.
    I've now interviewed him several times for KBRW public radio in Barrow, Alaska and it seems like World Music has the potential to help us understand each other a little better across international boundaries and in spite of intense conflicts like the Iraq war, and reaction to 9-11.
    Any interest in starting again on planners and music and maybe world peace? I could discuss it at length in person some summer night with friends.....but it would be neat on Perry's great site here.
    Earl
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 17 Feb 2006 at 12:48 PM.

Registered
    Dec 2004

diggin in the crates

this is a great thread. its always enjoyable to talk about music, lets you know a little something about people. heres what i got goin right now:

claude bolling - original ragtime
    always some Django Reinhardt
    and of course oscar aleman
    most of the quannum projects albums
    talib kweli
    dr octagon
    tons of dancehall reggae
    the General Electrics album
    Duke ellington's latin american suite
    a benny goodman early trios/quartets albums (i think we're tlkin teddy wilson on the keys)
    and a couple red norvo albums, including all the trio sessions were mingus rocked it on the bass

lets keep this goin!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Master Plan
    this is a great thread. its always enjoyable to talk about music, lets you know a little something about people. heres what i got goin right now:

claude bolling - original ragtime
    always some Django Reinhardt
    and of course oscar aleman
    most of the quannum projects albums
    talib kweli
    dr octagon
    tons of dancehall reggae
    the General Electrics album
    Duke ellington's latin american suite
    a benny goodman early trios/quartets albums (i think we're tlkin teddy wilson on the keys)
    and a couple red norvo albums, including all the trio sessions were mingus rocked it on the bass

lets keep this goin!

Thanks--great diversity of music. I'll bet the plans really flow with that playlist.
    Let's keep it going. We all seem to love music in some form. Warm holiday wishes
    Earl

Registered
    Aug 2001

The Music of 1960s, or 2006's

Wow, wow --over 11,000 hits on this topic. Planners must be the most musical professionals around.
    Just saw that Jerry Lee Lewis has a new album out at age 70 -- titled Last Man Standing, with appearances by a number of music greats ---Eric Clapton, BB King, Willie Nelson, Bruce Springsteen, etc.
    He is still standing, still rocking hard, and not in a rocking chair!

Keep going Killer! You inspire many of us who are still standing ----no electric scooters or wheel chairs yet!!!
    Earl

Registered
    Aug 2001

You can sometimes get what you want ---Rolling Stones

Inspirational ----Ben and Bonnie Nageak of Barrow flew 2200 miles from Barrow, Alaska to Seattle (no road connections anywhere from Barrow) just to see Rolling Stones concert on Oct. 17 at large Qwest field, home of the Seattle Seahawks.

They loved it and shared the aura and wide smiles with the 4,200 residents of Barrow upon their return. Ben said Mick Jagger came down a runway into the crowd right near their seats and that he was within 5 feet of the legendary rocker, almost could touch his hand.

This was a heck of a concert! The warm up group was The Dave Matthews Band., and the Stones played over two hours.

And then the souvenirs ---Ben got a heavy duty Rolling Stones jacket and Bonnie got a heavy-duty Stones stadium blanket. Just in time for another long Barrow winter. Hey Hey!
    Earl

Registered
    Jan 2007
    ANYTHING Dave Matthews Band. (except Stand Up album-blah).

Registered
    Aug 2001

A Jam for You to Enjoy While Writing One Zoning Report

Just downloaded "Headphones Jam" by Phish, 47 minutes in length
    done in Vermont studios in Feb., 2004, just months before they split up.
    I'd think that would cover any planner having to write up a zoning report, maybe two if they are minor cases.
    Or writing yet one more memo to Planning Director asking him or her to have the department take on some burning issue, i.e. big box stores, lack of open space, lack of non-car transportation, unchecked growth, etc.

Rock on, and write on, with Phish, or group of your choice
    Happy Spring
    Earl in Alaska

Registered
    Sep 2001

Morning awakening......

to some nice coffee and NU: jazz Italia - a complilation of 'new' jazz via (duh) Italy, lively modern jazz. Wow, I really do need my coffee.......this is a lame post.
    I wonder if birds know it's Tuesday?

Registered
    Aug 2001

Wake up to Jazz and Smell the Coffee

Great planner ideas ---some straight-ahead jazz, and maybe some gourmet coffee to start the planning day.

I forgot to add another ingredient to my previous post on long-form Phish music
    and long-form Planning communications. Dogs ----try to have at least one dog in your office or cubicle at all times. They are great, lower your blood pressure and always think the very best of you.

Earl

Registered
    Oct 2008
    Unlike my kids, I can't think while listening to music with lyrics, so my preferred background music while working is an eclectic mix of mozart and random new age stuff. What some refer to as elevator music.

Registered
    Sep 2001

Reggea

My lil brother just gave me a copy of one of the Aggrolites CD's!!! I this CD!!! It's in 'heavy rotation' in my CD player in my car. I can't take it out to load it onto my iPod..........

Anyone else have more suggestions??
    I wonder if birds know it's Tuesday?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 18
    Last post: 26 Feb 2010, 11:59 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 17 Jun 2009, 11:02 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 26 Aug 2004, 1:46 PM
  4. Plan Maker or plan Implementer?
    Make No Small Plans