Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Travel

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997

You can take my Kitkat when you pry it out of my cold, dead fingers!

I don't know how he does it, but Dan always seems to nail those unique little "Canadianisms", or at least those that I am partial to. They have Kitkat "chunky" now, ya know.

What's so bad about Canadian pizza? Depends where you go I guess - the worst pizza I ever had was in Chicago of all places...

As for beer - well, I stay away from the big brands anyhow. I would say the best Canadian micro-brews would hold their own against anything from south of the border. We'll have to have a taste-off or something.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Do I hear a challenge?

I can bring along a selection of Wisconsin microbrews, cheeses and some dead buffalo to put on the grill.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Michael Stumpf wrote:
    Sam Adams? OK, but far from great. Try a New Glarus "Uff-da" Bock, a "Moosedrool" from Kalispell, MT, or Alaskan Amber. Now those are beers.
    Not Sam Adams. Sam Adams Millennium. $200 a bottle. Considering what went into my tasting glass, I probably quaffed about $150 of it at the last Great American Beer Festival.

From the Sam Adams Web site ...

Millennium is an example of the brewers' art at its most remarkable: a rich though very drinkable amber essence with mouth-filling flavors of malt and oak, overtones of vanilla, butterscotch and pear, with a hint of cinnamon. Rare Noble hops give Samuel Adams Millennium a crisp, balanced finish.

Served at cellar temperature (about 60 degrees) in two-ounce servings, Millennium makes a wonderful aperitif or after-dinner drink.

As the world's strongest beer at about 20% alcohol by volume, it's been likened to a fine bourbon.

BTW, for Tranplanner ...

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Michael - I went to a wedding in New Glarus, the whole weekend was spent glutting ourselves on Spotted Cow Beer and Deep Fried Cheese Curds - please allow me a moment for some Homer like drooling. Yuuuuhhhm.

As for Wegmans, a trip back to Geneseo just isn't complete without a drunken 2 am trip to wegman's for a spree through their bulk food bin aisle. We're dying for them in Albany, let alone Florida.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Thanks Dan, but damn - I think I'm going to have to go out to the corner store...shame though that this being Ontario I can't get any beer there.

Challenge accepted - I'll bring the back bacon and donuts, as well as some fine local beverages. My current picks: Amsterdam Nut Brown Ale, Wellington County Best Bitter, Steam Whistle Brewing Co. Pilsner.

Just as an aside - how many of you out there can get a beer at your City Hall? I can - but they rip you off big time. At least it's good beer...

Registered
    Oct 2001

That would make my life complete

Beer at work? Is this heaven you speak of or Germany? Can you keep a keg in the office and have a cold one with the developer? Can you play quarters to determine the merits of an application? Can you sleep it off at the office on the clock because it was a work related bender?

Is there a Miller Time, Canada? Don't tease me!

Registered
    Oct 2001

I messed up whilst moderating

KMateja
    Senior Planner
    Posted the following:

As for Canada....
    Hundreds and hundreds of underaged upstate New Yorkers love Canada for their 18 year old drinking age and superior nudie bars.

El Guapo's note: I was trying to move this thread and accidentially deleted it. So Sorry.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Sorry if I misled you El Guapo, sir - it's not like you can drink at your desk. There is a restaurant/cafeteria on the main floor of City Hall that serves wine and beer - at tourist trap prices though. Planners head down the street aways to drench their thirst.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Our Public Works Department had Blatz in their vending machines until 1993. They were allowed to have it on breaks at the time... My how political correctness has impacted the workplace!

     
    Registered
    Feb 2002

Better at hockey and doughnut diplomacy

With the Olympics over Canada can now categorically state that our national identity is intact. We do hockey good!!! In Canada the hockey game for the gold medal between the US and Canada was presented like a virgin defending her honour. "Can we hold them off!? Will our virtuous hockey purity honed on the frozen ponds in back yards across Canada stand up to the tainted, industrialized hockey assault from the States?"

I think also that we get "Smarties" chcolate bars and you can't get that in the States. They are like M and M's only with milk chocolate and not as rich.

Canada makes THE best doughnuts. Tim Horton's is the champion when it comes to that. After all, we are the country that believes that there isn't a problem that can't be solved by sitting everyone down with nice hot coffee and a plate of fresh doughnuts. Actually I've tried it at a couple of tough meetings ... it works!!! Everyone kind of mellows out and focuses on the yummies. If feathers start to get ruffled just take a break and put out more doughnuts. It settles things right down. I am not kidding. Try it.

Who need missles and spending huge amounts of money on the military when you have honey cruller, jelly filling, and maple glazed in your arsenal! Doughnut diplomacy!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Tranplanner wrote:
    Just as an aside - how many of you out there can get a beer at your City Hall? I can - but they rip you off big time. At least it's good beer...
    No beer. Sigh. We get free coffee and Pepsi products, though.

The closest thing was my first job, where birthdays were celebrated during lunch over several pitchers, and the coffee cart that was at City Hall at my last job.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Cosmic - donuts are a staple at staff meetings here as well, though the chocolate frosted ones seem to go the quickest. If anyone is in Thermopolis, Wyoming, try the donut stand on the main drag there. Best donut I've ever had, bar none. There's also a hot spring and nice historic hotel.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Sorry Cosmic...

I've been living in Canada for a few months now (thank you NAFTA!) and I must say that Tim Horton donuts are nothing to get excited about.

The one thing you can't get north of the border??? A good margarita!

But they do have dill pickle flavored potato chips here, and that's got to count for something. Yum!

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Looking for a new road to travel
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 08 Aug 2008, 12:32 PM
  2. Travel Destinations Near You
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 19
    Last post: 12 Aug 2006, 10:56 PM
  3. How We Travel (On Land)