0 0%
  • Not enough information to make an informed decision

18 62.07%
Closed thread

Thread: Kobe Bryant

Registered
    Apr 2002

Kobe Bryant

All right, I don't think we've discussed this yet: Kobe Bryant. What do y'all think? Is he guilty of rape? Or, is his accuser looking to see how much $$$ she can get out of him in an eventual civil suit?

He used to look like a squeaky-clean NBA player to me... but it looks like the bloom has come off the rose. Adulterer yes, rapist, I'm not so sure.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I hate him. I say lock him up!

I love seeing famous people getting in trouble. Is that wrong?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Anybody know some young women who'll be willing to accuse the entire Yankee pitching staff of sexual misconduct?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Greenescapist
    I added an option to your poll, with my magic Mod powers. I hope that was okale-doke-ale with you neighbor.

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Originally posted by EG
    Greenescapist
    I added an option to your poll, with my magic Mod powers. I hope that was okale-doke-ale with you neighbor.
    Thanks, that was a good idea. Since we don't really know the evidence, it's all just gut guesses right now. But, I don't feel like he's guilty.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by Greenescapist
    But, I don't feel like he's guilty.
    Same here. I just don't see why - short of a violence thing and I've heard no news that it was a violent rape - someone that famous would need to force himself on a women. He could have them linedup around the block willing to do whatever he desired if he wanted. However, I do think there is more to this story and will have to hold off judgement until it all comes out.

At first I thought it was a situation where this girl went to his room and they had consentual sex and she either got mad at him or felt ashamed and therefore called the cops. But after thinking about it for a while, why should I assume that because Bryant has this nice guy image, that he is innocent. Maybe she went up there and they were messing around and when things got heated up, she said no and he forced himself on her.

Look at OJ. Everyone loved him. He was in all those Naked Gun movies and on the sidelines for ABC. He had this nice guy image (although I hear he was a real a-hole behind the scenes) and then he kills two people and then it was revealed that he had beaten Nicole in the past.

Most people don't know the real Kobe. His teammates don't even know the real Kobe and nobody but those two knows what happened in that hotel room.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Jul 2002

Hmm...

I voted for consensual sex between Kobe and the girl, but I admit that's a gut feeling. Realistically, I'd say I need more info.

Just goes to show that character and reputation is everything. If Allen Iverson was accused of this, he'd be tried and convicted in the court of public opinion based on his past. However, Kobe's squeaky-clean image earns him at least a little reprieve from the same kind of scrutiny.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    It should be "back page" news.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    I love the reaction other people have when somebody famous acts like a normal person.

Tell us old school types, did they teach that the life of a hero always ends tragicly back in the day? They don't do it now.

We say to ourselves "they have everything, why would they do that, why would they waste, why would they feel the need". They are human, wild success in one area does not transmit knowledge or ability to another.

We are talking about somebody with a self inflated ego, he travels with an "entourage" because he "needs the protection?". Many are the nights when Bret Favre was still drinking that I saw him in a packed bar all slumped over in a stupor (but still awake) at Knights on Main in Green Bay.

Then were amazed when they do stupid things.

Is he guilty? Thats not up to us. Should people buy his crap just because he can run fast and jump high? Only if your stupid and do not know how to shop

$4 million dollar rock he gave to the wife? If I were her, I would loose it as an insurance policy against the civil suit that is coming. Might be all that young woman gets in the end.
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Ya know Duke I think you might be on the right track. Guilty or not i dont care, if he were just anyone else hed be locked up in jail.

Stars get away with WAY too much. Hopefuly he did not do it but if he did...

badddddd juju
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Originally posted by Duke Of Dystopia
    They are human, wild success in one area does not transmit knowledge or ability to another.
    Getting OT, but I think that is the mantra we all need to recite when looking at the lives of athletes and entertainers.

Inflated egos and distortions of reality can make one successful in a very narrow arena. The same ego and reality distortions can make one a menace to society everywhere else.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Originally posted by Duke Of Dystopia

$4 million dollar rock he gave to the wife? If I were her, I would loose it as an insurance policy against the civil suit that is coming. Might be all that young woman gets in the end.
    I don't know, I think she's a smart cookie- support the man you've been with since you were 17, support him through a rape trial... then you lay down the law, act like a saint but say you have never felt safe after the chanrges and no amount of counseiling will do, take him for everything he's worth, including full custody of his child, and then be done with it.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Originally posted by Habanero
    take him for everything he's worth, including full custody of his child, and then be done with it.
    Esp. if she signed a pre-nup which can be broken by adultery...no better evidence than him admiting it on national TV...

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Originally posted by Habanero
    I don't know, I think she's a smart cookie- support the man you've been with since you were 17, support him through a rape trial... then you lay down the law, act like a saint but say you have never felt safe after the chanrges and no amount of counseiling will do, take him for everything he's worth, including full custody of his child, and then be done with it.
    That's stone cold, man! Hope James knows what he's getting into

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Originally posted by Belle
    Esp. if she signed a pre-nup which can be broken by adultery...no better evidence than him admiting it on national TV...
    Part of the reason Kobe's family did not support the marriage is because he did not want a pre-nup, at least according to "published reports."

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Originally posted by Tranplanner
    That's stone cold, man! Hope James knows what he's getting into
    I made him watch the end of Braveheart.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 23 Jan 2006, 2:10 PM
  2. Humor in Eagle County - Kobe Bryant
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 22 Aug 2003, 4:13 PM