Urban planning community

Poll results: What does it take to be a planner?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • A thick skin

16 43.24%
  • A self-abusive personality

1 2.70%
  • A constant flow of 'joe'

5 13.51%
  • insanity

1 2.70%
  • other, or all of the above

14 37.84%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: the planning career

Registered
    Dec 2001

the planning career

i am a member of the village hall softball team. That being so, i'm meeting other people from village hall that I didn't know existed. You just never need to bother them, visit, etc. anyway..

they'd ask where i work.. i'd say....planning and that is responded with an....".....ooooohhh" and sometimes with..."you guys are crazy."

are we crazy? do we have the least lax governmental job out there? are we control freaks? do we get high on conforontations with irate individuals?
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    I voted "thick skin", which I think kind of ties into being able to handle high amounts of abuse.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Today is not a good day to be asking any questions to me about planning. Our council did the stupidest, two faced thing ever last night. After bitching and whining for the past year about a lack of qualaity development occurring in the City and how we need new affordabale homes they turned down a rezoning for a land lease community (upscale trailer park) There goes 8-10 million in assessment and 70-80 homes. The location is good, the land is suited, the services are in the ground, but neighbours from 2000 feet away complained. They even used the line we did not know this was happening, yet they were there.

This is pretty much strike 3 for the inbred mutant piglets of this hell hole.

Anyone know of jobs for a person with 8 years experience?
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Feb 2003
    the biggest issue I have come across is that no matter how much education or experience (be it I am short on the experience side) a planner seems to have, if the project in anyway involves person Xs checkbook, it all goes out the window.

planning theory does not apply to the NIMBY, planning theory does not apply to the developers checkbook. to them you are an idiot.

unless of course you are on their side and then you are a genious. :P
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

It takes a thick skin and an uncanny ability to deal with idiots, jerks, and racists. I am pretty good at not taking anything personally and I think that helps. However there are times when boards/commissions do and say stuff that makes you want to scream.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I plead insanity...

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I don't like dealing with people. People suck. If I could find a job where I didn't have to relate to them but still did something worthwhile it would be great. Unfortunately I don't have a specific area of expertise so I'm a "generalist."

Donk, if you haven't seen it, the Connecticut APA Chapter has a number of jobs in CT and beyond. Its pretty thorough and is updated more frequently then RI or MA.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I voted thick skin too. And the ability to leave the whole freakin' mess at the office at the end of the day.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    We are like a hockey goalie. We have things slapped at us all the time, and only the good ones get though. We have to fight for our ideas, and protect our area.

Oh, and a left hook to the face from time to time is needed.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by donk

Anyone know of jobs for a person with 8 years experience?
    Hey... I posted that opening in Nunavut.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by nerudite
    The name of the place sounds like a skin care product.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Since I am more on the economic development side of planning, I may have a different perspective. The most important thing for me is to be a facilitator. You have to be able to be flexible and offer compromises, usually without getting any credit for the work you do. I guess that is why I went with "all of the above."

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    Thankfully, and according to Huston, i am a genius. I would add that it takes none of those things to be a planner. What does it take to be a good planner, well that's another question.

Hell a clerk at 7-11 needs thick skin and an ability not to take the work home.

You have to be in it because you want "good" development for your community and want to help bring that about. You have to be in it because you actually have an ability to hold private property rights and the public welfare in equal standing. And you have to be in it because you like facilitating the process--giving the elected and appointed the best information available with which to make a decision, regardless of outcome. Its all about process right?

My experience is that very few planners actually combine what I have described.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I am looking for a place a bit less isolated with "real" people, then again Nunavut may have a higher quality of people then where I am now.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Originally posted by gkmo62u
    Thankfully, and according to Huston, i am a genius....
    nice job twisting my words, gkmo62u.

I should of added the word ‘perceived’, so I’ll take the L on that one. or is it a W? remember I am also a consultant, many times for the developer (other times a city/county). Although they (developer) are the clients, I see it as my ‘duty’ to ‘help’ them do the ‘right’ thing.

Sometimes it works out for best!

other times, no
    Last edited by H; 25 Jul 2003 at 12:21 PM.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by donk
    I am looking for a place a bit less isolated with "real" people, then again Nunavut may have a higher quality of people then where I am now.
    Off-topic:
    You can always try my dream job ...

Ahhhhh... I miss the San Juans...

Registered
    Dec 2001
    All of the above, you have to be a little crazy to come back for punishment everyday. You have to have thick skin. You have to have the want to see a City grow. Oh, and don't forget you have to find a sense of humor that lets you relax when you've got a citizen yelling at you for dog poo in the alley (now that's a sh*tty situation, folks).
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002

wink

Huston I should have included a wink

Registered
    Sep 2001
    OT

You can always try my dream job ...
    Looks nice, but the job descripton wants someone who is highly motivated. Currently, on a good day I just barely have a pulse.

Registered
    Feb 2003

Re: wink

Originally posted by gkmo62u
    Huston I should have included a wink
    I figured, but I had to respond anyway

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    and you forgot the teflon coating on the thick skin.....or a greezy coating like a duck.....
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    a little attitude always helps
    as long as you have self-control in how you interact.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Sep 1999
    The ability to remember copious amounts of arcane information and make cogent analyses on the fly, all while watching the back of the commission room in case there's some nut out there with a gun. Harder than walking and chewing gum at the same time...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I voted thick skin too, but not for having to take abuse -- for having to emotionally disconnect yourself from bad decision making then work around it and stay positive.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Originally posted by ts corbitt
    and you forgot the teflon coating on the thick skin.....or a greezy coating like a duck.....
    Or the ability to duck.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. A career in planning? Equity and urban planning
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 24 Apr 2011, 12:51 AM
  2. Planning as a career
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 31 Mar 2008, 2:30 PM