Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cause Heads

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Heifer.org is a really cool organization. I've gotten their catalogue before, think other 1/2 and I will do that for holidays this year. Helps a lot of people, plus it's great to see the look on your label-snobbish Trixie and Chad-ish friends' faces when you tell them you're giving them a cow (in their name, anyway) for Christmas.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I've been involved with various environmental groups and non-profits, but nothing much since I've moved to Edmonton. I keep meaning to look around, but time seems to slip away from me somehow (and money goes even faster). The closest I've come to supporting anything lately were gift subscriptions for others. I got my stepdaughter a gift membership to the Cousteau society for Christmas because she wants to be a marine biologist... maybe this year it will be greenpeace or something of that kind.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Originally posted by Plannerbabs
    Heifer.org is a really cool organization. I've gotten their catalogue before, think other 1/2 and I will do that for holidays this year. Helps a lot of people, plus it's great to see the look on your label-snobbish Trixie and Chad-ish friends' faces when you tell them you're giving them a cow (in their name, anyway) for Christmas.
    Maybe your urban chicken people actually are involved with Hen.org.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I've been involved with local watershed groups here, and I have coordinated toy collections for Christian Appalachian Program

     
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    I've done volunteer work for the Red Cross and the Multiple Sclerosis Society (my stepfather is afflicted with MS)

http://www.mssociety.ca/en/default.htm

Registered
    Aug 2001
    In no order:

American Diabetes Association
    United Performing Arts Fund
    Hope House (a local domestic abuse shelter)
    Camp Heartland (summer camp for children with HIV)
    UW Oshkosh Foundation
    Keeshond (a dog breed) Rescue

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Oh yeah... I recently found out that I was born in this halfway house/hospital in Los Angeles. This will be the next organization I try to help out in some way...

Registered
    Sep 2001
    My list

Cycling pretty much consumes all of my volunteer time. It feels good to know that this year we are going to put 5-8 people on theNational Team for various World Championships.

Most of these are not all that altruistic, I am banking on future good will and research. For money I support(not much but I do)

I donate to the cancer society, everyone on my mothers side of the family has had it, with two people dying from it. Tick Tock

The kidney foundation, after my kidney stone anything they can do to figure out kidneys is appreciated. They say I'll be back to see them. Not looking forward to that trip.

Girl Guides, when they come around with cookies.

Local sports teams, when they come around for bottle drives.

Local Hospital board, sponsor walkers other people involved in fund raising, less over the past year since my run in with most of the edical staff in our City.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Maybe your urban chicken people actually are involved with Hen.org.

Of course!! How obvious, I didn't see the connection between urban poultry farming and heifer.org!

Registered
    Aug 2002
    We make contributions to a list of organizations every year. Examples: Humane Society of the U.S., The Nature Conservancy, Habitat for Humanity, our local land trust, a "no-kill" animal shelter, an environmental education center...

I've also served on the boards of directors of a conservation organization and (currently) a bird(watch)ing club and our local neighborhood organization.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Mud Princess
    a "no-kill" animal shelter
    Where's the fun in that? I made a donation to the Ruger Foundation for the Elimination of Feral Cats last Saturday.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Just the NRA, SPCA, and USO for me.
    Last edited by Jeff; 28 Jul 2003 at 9:36 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Lets see in no order

Brother help thy self-kind of a mini united way for alternitive groups
    Arlington Co Animal Shelter
    Human Rights Campaign
    American Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (cuz has it bad)
    Hospice

Im sure there are more i just cant think of at the moment
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I support my local community run radio station www.wyce.org you can listen online!

Also suport a few local environmental and land conservancy organizations. And I usually buy whatever kids are selling to support a school cause, they usually stand there mute, with the catalog or candy in stuff outstretched arms so I make sure they give me the low down, like what position do they play or what instrument, and how is this money going to help them? They gotta sell me first!

Registered
    Oct 2000
    The groups I wrote checks for this year
    Nature Conservancy
    Sierra Club
    American Cancer Society
    NPR and PBS
    NARAL
    Disabled Veterans
    Cyburbia

Registered
    Mar 2002