Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Incredible - Five Times!

Registered
    Aug 2001

Incredible - Five Times!

Lance Armstrong wins record-tying fifth Tour de France title

PARIS (AP) -- Sipping champagne to celebrate, Lance Armstrong won his hardest but sweetest Tour de France title Sunday -- a record-tying fifth straight victory that places him alongside the greatest cyclists ever.

The 31-year-old Texan and Spanish great Miguel Indurain are now the only two riders to win the sport's most grueling and prestigious race five times in a row -- a record Armstrong plans to break next year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/sc/news?slug...v=ap&type=lgns

Registered
    Dec 2001
    ....and Katie Couric jumps on the bandwagon at 7 am EST this morning. God I hate her.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    is it me, or does that picture look photoshopped?

Hopefully next year no one will get hurt (hamilton/beloki) and ullrich will have a real team.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Dec 2001
    ....and then the streak will be over. LA is just too lucky. He was clearly not the best rider out there this year, just the luckiest. But that is all you need sometime.

Registered
    May 2003
    Originally posted by Mike D.
    ....and then the streak will be over. LA is just too lucky. He was clearly not the best rider out there this year, just the luckiest. But that is all you need sometime.
    Mike, you gotta be kidding me. When was it, Thursday, when he was knocked down by that spectator (bad luck), got up, powered past Ullrich and the rest, and won the stage? That wasn't luck, that was pure power, guts and skill. This guy is a stud, a man's man, and while getting number 6 might be beyond him, there is no tougher athlete on the world stage right now. Lance is da man.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Yeah!

So what's his deal with mouthing the trophy girls on the podium? Lance was all over those girls kiss kiss kiss kiss smack lick and kiss. Proving another side to his studliness?

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Jan Ullrich ... no team, crashes on the final TT, forced to wait for LA after his crash for fear of not living up to the dumb European cycling courtesies.

Tyler Hamilton ... busted up on day 1

Joseba Beloki ... crashed and forced to abandon

Alex Vinokourev ... no team support because he is the one supposed to be supporting Zabel

Not to take anything away from LA, but everyone keeps hooraying about overcoming a crash and winning the stage. He crashed going up at mountain, probably 15 mph at most, and he knew it was coming. Little kids crash their bikes at that speed and get up again.

Now Ullrich's crash on Saturday....that is something to get up and ride away from.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Originally posted by Jen
    Yeah!

So what's his deal with mouthing the trophy girls on the podium? Lance was all over those girls kiss kiss kiss kiss smack lick and kiss. Proving another side to his studliness?
    If you notice there were only 3 podium girls on the Champs Elysses (sp?). 1 was kicked off the Tour for giving out too many kisses to a rider who never came close to wearing yellow.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I have a difficult time understanding why riding a bicycle is considered a sport.
    I think that one of the great signs of security is the ability to just walk away.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    RichmondJake quipped
    I have a difficult time understanding why riding a bicycle is considered a sport.
    Because golf and figure skating are.

Hope you were kidding.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by donk
    RichmondJake quipped

Because golf and figure skating are.

Hope you were kidding.
    I wasn't kidding....and don't put the knock on golf, dude.
    I think that one of the great signs of security is the ability to just walk away.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Richmond Jake. . ..

Them are fighting words! (You do understand the incredible pain and strength involved in climbing a 10%+ grade at 20 mph?)

For the same reason that standing around scratching yourself on a grassy field and occasionally throwing and hitting a small round ball is.

Or breeding steroid enhanced monsters and sending them crashing into each other while drunks rain beer on each other in the stands.

And, I'm sorry, Golf is a GAME. It is not a sport!

Registered
    Aug 2001

Re: Richmond Jake. . ..

Originally posted by BKM

And, I'm sorry, Golf is a GAME. It is not a sport!
    Unless you've played the "game" under a competitive situation, you'll never understand.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Unless you've played the "game" under a competitive situation, you'll never understand.
    Cycling is the same way.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    I agree with both donk and richmandjake:

Cycling is absolutely a sport. So is golf.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Originally posted by RichmondJake
    That's quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Why are childrens games, i.e. basketball, football, soccer, baseball, etc considered sports?

I challenge you to ride your bike to work 1 day, and then come back and criticize a sport which puts on races covering 2,500 miles through the Alps and Pyrenees.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Re: Richmond Jake. . ..

Originally posted by BKM
    (You do understand the incredible pain and strength involved in climbing a 10%+ grade at 20 mph?)
    Six cylinders, leather seats, A/C, CD player... not at all painful, even at 60 mph.

Registered
    Oct 2001

I'm hooked.

This was the first TdF that I watched from start to finish. I learned so much about the sport that I never even would have guessed existed prior to my becoming more involved with cycling. I was simply amazed at the conditioning and strategy the sport requires. These riders have my respect, especially the domestics. The commentary by the staff of OLN was also very informative. They took the time to explain the subtleties of the sport in a way that novices like me could comprehend. It was a fun month and I look forward to next year's TdF.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    "Incredible - Five Times!"

Funny, that's what my wife said last night...

Registered
    Sep 2001
    El Guapo,

You've joined the dark side. Next year we'll have to do a tour pool. Stay tuned for teh Tour of spain in the fall. You may want to book at rip to Hamilton for World's too. (The world's biggest sporting event of the year)

next you'll know what a domestique and a stagiaire are, then you'll be looking for a C40 and shaving your legs.

Plus they do make gun racks for bicycles.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    But Lance isn't getting any special privledges like that golfer guy that is getting to ride his cart while the other golfers walk. Sorry, but I don't consider golf a sport, it's a game, and a lot of the time it's a competitive drinking game.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I agree with donk & richmondjake

Cycling - when i lived in Colorado, there was the Coors Tour, seen in the movie American Flyer and there is still the Denver Post Ride the Rockies. Try any of those mtn. climbs!
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Originally posted by Habanero
    But it's a game, and a lot of the time it's a competitive drinking game.
    Competitive Drinking IS A SPORT!

There is the Beer Blader Bust
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Mike D.
    That's quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Why are childrens games, i.e. basketball, football, soccer, baseball, etc considered sports?

I challenge you to ride your bike to work 1 day, and then come back and criticize a sport which puts on races covering 2,500 miles through the Alps and Pyrenees.
    When weather permits, I ride my bike to work twice a week. And I didn't criticize, I only questioned if it were bona fide a sport.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Most alcahol consumed

Best 12 oz can sculpture

Fastest 1 Ltr beer chug

Fastest upside down chug

Most inocuous but inapropriate grope of a server!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. the times they are a-changing
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 22 Feb 2006, 8:05 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 02 Feb 2004, 4:36 AM
  3. AIB Dan: Old/incredible books
    Friday Afternoon Club