Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What's wrong with this picture?

Registered
    Jul 2002

What's wrong with this picture?

This is a photo of a new PUFFIN crossing facility in my city.

Can you spot the problem?

Hint: the glass structure to the left is meant to be a weather shelter, to protect you from rain. The yellow pads are pressure sensitive and you must remain standing on them to activate the pedestrian crossing signal.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Here's a shot from the other side of the road:

So - do you use PUFFIN (British term) crossings in your town/city? Have you had any problems with them?

I took a whole lot of pics of poor design for pedestrians around the central city yesterday.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Here's some background info on Puffin crossings:

PUFFIN crossings differ from Pelican crossings as they do not have a flashing green man/flashing amber signal. The overall crossing time is established each time by on-crossing pedestrian detectors. The demand for the crossing is still triggered by the push button unit but kerbside pedestrian detectors are fitted to cancel demands that are no longer required (when a person crosses before the green man lights). At the latest Puffin crossings the red man/green man signals are above the push button unit on the pedestrians' side of the road. This layout encourages pedestrians waiting at the crossing to look at the approaching traffic at the same time as looking at the red man/green man signal. It is understood that DLTR/DFT intend that Puffins will replace Pelican crossings in the future. Studies have shown that Puffin crossings produce less conflict between pedestrians and traffic than a Pelican would.
    http://www.southglos.gov.uk/traffic_...nt/signals.htm

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    We have four basic types of mid-block pedestrian crossings...

1. "uncontrolled" - no lines, markings - but we provide a refuge in the middle of the road with "cross here", and "wait for gap" signage. The design of the refuge forces people to turn to their right and face oncoming traffic before crossing the next travel lane(s).

2. Pedestrian Crossovers - equivalent to a "Zebra" crossing. Flashing overhead lights activated by a pedestrian-operated pushbutton.

3. Signalized Pedestrian Crossover - equivalent to a Puffin/Pelican. Mid-block crossing, activated only when a pedestrian presses the pushbutton. Unlike UK/NZ crossings, there is no "flashing amber" phase, and motorists must wait for a green light before proceeding. We also provide more crossing time for peds (wider roadways ya know).

4. Intersection Pedestrian Signals - no real UK/NZ equivalent. Similar to the above, except that the signals are located at a side-street intersection, which is STOP controlled for motorists. Signals are pedestrian-activated, but side street traffic can use the mainstreet red to make their turning movement (and hopefully not run down the pedestrian in the crossing).

We are not as advanced in the use of these facilities - no pressure pads, microwave detection, etc. We do have some bicycle-activated facilities though.

I'll try to get some pics for you this week.

Registered
    Nov 2002

Re: What's wrong with this picture?

Originally posted by JNL
    This is a photo of a new PUFFIN crossing facility in my city.

Hint: the glass structure to the left is meant to be a weather shelter, to protect you from rain. The yellow pads are pressure sensitive and you must remain standing on them to activate the pedestrian crossing signal.
    Well you shouldn't be out walking if you don't want to get caught in the rain in the first place

Registered
    Nov 2002

Re: What's wrong with this picture?

Originally posted by JNL
    Let's see:

1) If it's raining, someone must get wet in order to activate the pedestrian signal. Looks like the wet sucker standing on the pressure pad is also a prime target for puddle splashes from passing vehicles, too.

2) What's with the pressure pads being right on top of each other? Don't you folks like your personal space, or is this just some way of encouraging camradery?
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Sep 2001
    One of the best things about the city I live in (see I'm not always negatice),and most of the maritimes for that matter is how drivers treat pedestrians. all you have to do to cross the street is look both ways and most of the time (90%+) the cars will stop, regardless of where you are in teh block.

in Saint John this is used for traffic calming in teh uptown.

The down side of this is that I was almost killed about 10 times when I visited Toronto, as I forgot that traffic tends to have the right of way.

On teh hi tech traffic signals and pedestrian devices, my aunt used to live in a town with a huge ultra Orthodox Hasidic Jewish population, they had all of the lights changed to motion sensors so that the Jewish population would not "have to create fire" on the Sabbath.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jul 2002

Re: Re: What's wrong with this picture?

Originally posted by SGB
    Let's see:

1) If it's raining, someone must get wet in order to activate the pedestrian signal. Looks like the wet sucker standing on the pressure pad is also a prime target for puddle splashes from passing vehicles, too.
    You got it - it just makes a joke of the weather shelters. Both the shelters and the pressure pads have been installed around the same time.

2) What's with the pressure pads being right on top of each other? Don't you folks like your personal space, or is this just some way of encouraging camradery?
    Ha ha, not sure about that one... must ask the local traffic engineers...

Registered
    Nov 2003
    I live in Fredericton NB and all I have to do is stand on the side of the road and people will stop for me. I rarely use the traffic signals as I really hate stopping traffic for durations of time, especially during rush hour. On my university campus, the roads are pretty narrow and the drivers are aware of the pedestrian traffic so crossing is not an issue. Growing up in calgary, we learned to simply put your hand out to let motorists know that you want to cross. The growth of Calgary over the last few years has lead to the cities driving attitude to deteriorate. Small and midsized cities seem to have more pedestrian freindly environments.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Wrong Song or Wrong Singer?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 06 Nov 2006, 5:40 PM
  2. What is wrong with this picture?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 31
    Last post: 30 Sep 2005, 11:16 AM
  3. What's wrong with this picture?
    Friday Afternoon Club