Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Are there any good examples of retail incorporated into a transit center?

Are there any good examples of retail incorporated into a transit center?

Hello,

Looking for good examples of smaller cities (>100,000) that have successfully integrated retail establishments into a transit center. I'm looking a contact name and number so I can follow up.

Thank you!

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Hmmm...I've thought about this a bit, and for the life of me I can't think of any that fit the criteria you are looking for. The only one that might come close incorporated a small cafe and lottery/magazine kiosk. However, I'm not sure how successful it is - I believe the cafe may even be gone now that a Tim Horton's (think Krispy Kreme, only better) opened up right next door to the terminal.

Is this an intercity or a local transit terminal?

Typically I think you could only expect to support convenience-type retail uses, unless you also have an on-street presence.

It could be either an intercity or local transit terminal. I've come up with a few examples of transit agencies that have done this on the west coast: Santa Cruz Metro (CA); Golden Gate Transit (SF Bay Area); Lane Transit (Eugene, OR); and Cherriots (Salem, OR). All of these incorporate small retail spaces, such as a coffee shop or small convenience store.

I would like to find examples in the mid-west, east coast or Canada.

thanks for replying!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    They are more like 300,000 but Spokane, Washington put in a new transit center a few years back and it seemed to work really well. Especially as it was working in a dying downtown. I'm afraid I don't know who you should contact.

Yes, I've found a number of larger cities that have successfully incorporated retail... Spokane, Denver, Portland, Seattle...

Smaller transit agencies seem to have a hard time making this happen, presumably because tenants are reluctant to invest in such a strange concept...?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 05 Dec 2010, 2:28 AM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last post: 15 Jun 2010, 1:15 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 06 Mar 2009, 3:15 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 01 May 2000, 10:39 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last post: 01 May 2000, 10:31 AM