Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: My street

Registered
    Jul 2002

My street

I took some photos on the weekend with design for pedestrians in mind, and then I realised that they give quite a good idea of what my street is like. It's quite a long street, as it takes about 25 mins to walk from one end to the other, and it goes from central city out into the 'burbs.

I've put 9 photos of various aspects of my street in the Galleries under Cities and Places > Other places, named 'my street' 01-09. 01starts at the city end through to 09 at the other, suburban end.

I'd be interested to hear your comments - does it look pretty similar to streets in your area, or do certain aspects stand out as quite different?

Oh and yes, we drive on the left over here

Last edited by JNL; 29 Jul 2003 at 8:46 PM.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I liked.

Around here the architecture you depict would be 'quirky' but accepted, I think.

I like the scale, it is comfortable to me.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I like the mural in picture 02.
    Picture 01 was that top floor an add-on?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Interesting. I really like posts like this that show the everyday (I'm never very interested in "tourist" stuff in cities I visit).

The street looks a lot like older parts of the Bay Area, like Oakland, Martinez, or even some of the working class cottage districts of San Francisco (I get a real "Bernal Heights" feel to those wooden cottages).

I've always read that Wellington feels like San Francisco (and vice versa, of course ) These pics kinda confirm that.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    The building in photo 01 would be considered quirky here too.

The building in the background of 03 is an historic brick building that used to be police barracks.

And the apartments in 09 are brand new and not typical of new developments. I like how each unit is unique somehow, through the configuration of the windows and balconies. It's actually just one side of a much bigger complex of maybe 30 units which also have street frontage on the next street over.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Originally posted by JNA
    I like the mural in picture 02.
    Picture 01 was that top floor an add-on?
    I like that mural too. Re the add-on, not sure, but quite possibly as add-ons like that are quite common in the inner city. I'll see what I can find out.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I like they way the houses and buildings are up close to the street, with little set back. this gives a nice feel.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Apr 2003
    It looks like a walk from University City to the beach but with the 100km compressed to 15 blocks.
    Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Originally posted by jresta
    It looks like a walk from University City to the beach but with the 100km compressed to 15 blocks.
    Interesting comment as there are connections through to a university campus 1 street over, and the street goes from the waterfront to the university, and there are about 13 blocks! Whole street is just under 2km long.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    love the MURAL on the second photo!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Here are 2 more shots from the city/sea end:

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Notice the mismatched kerb ramps here

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Originally posted by Duke Of Dystopia
    love the MURAL on the second photo!
    It's on the side of an Italian restaurant, which apparently has really good food but I haven't been there yet.

Maybe I missed it ... but what city is this?

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Sorry -it's Wellington, capital city of New Zealand

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Nice pics!
    In the first photo the add-on on the building makes it look like a ship (IMO)
    The mural on the scond pic is awesome.. at first I didn't notice it was a mural..

In the eight pic I can see a cherry blossom tree.. I see they're blooming there too.. I find it kindda weird for those trees to start blooming so early. And here in Valdivia by the end of August there aren't many flowers left, because the rain washes them off...

Registered
    Oct 2001
    When are we going to see similar pics of Valdivia, Skel?

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Originally posted by BKM
    When are we going to see similar pics of Valdivia, Skel?
    Good idea. I quite like the idea of making a study of one street, or small area, at a time - helps capture the feel of a particular part of the city. I might look at a new suburban area next.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Originally posted by SkeLeton
    In the eight pic I can see a cherry blossom tree.. I see they're blooming there too.. I
    It's quite unusual, we have another month of winter to go yet, so it's blossoming very early. Always nice to see an early hint that spring is coming!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Good idea. I quite like the idea of making a study of one street, or small area, at a time - helps capture the feel of a particular part of the city. I might look at a new suburban area next.
    I recommend another discussion board where the site owners post lots of interesting photos of "everyday" urbanity.

http://pub42.ezboard.com/bcafeurbanite

There are several London threads that are fantastic. Architectural photography is a hobby of mine, so I really enjoy that board.

I think I'll borrow the office digital camera this weekend and shoot my neighborhood (downtown Vacaville, California). Not very exotic, but I still like it.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Originally posted by JNL
    Here are 2 more shots from the city/sea end:
    JNL - if you want to impress the Americans, I think you should post some pics of the Wellington Library. I think it is Wellington's best building (you should move the Parliament into it).

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Lovely, sort of reminds me of Portland, OR. Definately not what you would find in the Midwest. Any of those apartments renting now??

Registered
    Jun 2003
    I like this kind of view of a city as well. I could care less about the tourist part of a city I'm visiting. I like to see how the poeple live there, where they go, what they do. From these pictures, Wellington looks like a wonderful place. There's a very comfortable feel to the pictures. I especaily like the first picture(I love architechure that pushes normality), as well as the cottages. They look small, but very comfortable. I'll have to get down there soon.
    You're more boring than you know.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Originally posted by martini
    From these pictures, Wellington looks like a wonderful place. I'll have to get down there soon.
    Thank you I like it. On the weekend I visited a seal colony on the outskirts of the city that I hadn't known was there, very rugged, exposed beaches - yet only a short drive out of the city!

Visitors to Wellington are welcome, and my Texan flatmate is teaching me how to speak American

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 09 Nov 2012, 2:51 PM
  2. Street name ideas
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 47
    Last post: 13 Feb 2006, 4:28 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 12 Sep 2005, 2:05 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 15 Sep 2004, 2:29 PM