Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Do you have Glass in your Windows?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.

Do you have Glass in your Windows?

I was wondering if anyone had any parts of there property maintenance codes that worked to prevent things getting run down. I remember hearing about some place that requires glass in all the windows. No boarding up vacant buildings. Does anyone have any unique ideas to prevent building from going into disrepair?
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Philly is doing that right now. Requiring glass in everything. Fines daily until brought into compliance and after so much time the city takes the building. Its a sneeky way of taking over all the vacant properties and tearing them down.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We have a pretty good commercial property maintenance code you can get here . We dont have a dense urban core like you do, so its mostly used to compel folks to screen dumpsters and mow their grass.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Originally posted by Mike D.
    Philly is doing that right now. Requiring glass in everything. Fines daily until brought into compliance and after so much time the city takes the building. Its a sneeky way of taking over all the vacant properties and tearing them down.
    Intresting.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Village of Dobbs Ferry, NY

Property Maintenance
    § 204-44. Outdoor premises and exteriors.
    Owners and occupants shall maintain the outdoor premises and the exteriors of residential and accessory structures thereon such that the appearance of the premises and structures shall not blight adjoining properties nor lead to the progressive deterioration of the neighborhood.

Village of Bronxville, NY

The exterior of every structure or accessory structure, including signs, fences and awnings, shall be maintained in good repair, free of any condition that would present a safety or fire hazard or adversely affect adjoining properties in the neighborhood, to that end all surfaces thereof shall be kept painted or otherwise provided with a protective coating sufficient to prevent structural deterioration and to maintain a reasonably good appearance. The same shall be maintained free of broken glass, loose shingles, crumbling stone or brick, excessive peeling paint or other conditions reflective of deterioration or inadequate maintenance.

Village of Mamaroneck, NY

Vacant Stores
    § 320-1. Covering required.
    When a commercial or retail establishment in the Village of Mamaroneck becomes vacant and remains vacant for a period in excess of thirty (30) days, the owner, lessee or other responsible individual or entity shall place a covering in the storefront to block the view of the interior of the premises to public view. The covering shall be of such material as provided below.
    § 320-2. Covering specifications.
    The covering referred to in § 320-1 shall have at least a Class C flame-spread rating as defined in Section 772.2 of the New York State Uniform Fire Prevention and Building Code, and it may not consist of any substance sprayed onto storefront windows. The covering may consist of:
    A.Venetian or similar blind;
    B.Drapes, curtains or shades; or
    C.Such other covering as approved by the Board of Architectural Review.
    § 320-3. Maintenance of window display areas.
    Any and all window display areas shall be kept clean, free of hazard and free of debris. Further, cracked or broken glass display windows shall be replaced with glass.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Originally posted by Chet
    We have a pretty good commercial property maintenance code you can get here . We dont have a dense urban core like you do, so its mostly used to compel folks to screen dumpsters and mow their grass.
    Your from Muskego? I have a CD that I picked up at the 2001 APA confrence in Chicago about your "Conservation On The Urban Fringe."

I like alot of what was in there. Your staff has some great ideas.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Our state will probably adopt the ICC's International Property Maintenance Code within a year. State law prohibits us from adopting it locally. We need it.

Do any of you have property maintenance codes built into your zoning regs or just in your building codes?

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Our property maintenance code is separate from both zoning and building codes.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    What we do have for our property maintenance is part of our codified ordinances, and separate from our zoning ordinance.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by michaelskis
    Your from Muskego? I have a CD that I picked up at the 2001 APA confrence in Chicago about your "Conservation On The Urban Fringe."

I like alot of what was in there. Your staff has some great ideas.
    Yep! And thanks. Me and Prudence presented it at the 2001 Conference. That Plan won our States APA competition that year.

EDIT: We cant take full staff credit. We had a ton of help from Vandewalle & Associates, a Madison based consulting firm.

(Too bad you missed the first annual Cyburbia Ale Fest when you were in Chicago!)

Registered
    Apr 2003

EDIT: We cant take full staff credit. We had a ton of help from Vandewalle & Associates, a Madison based consulting firm.
    I applyed for a job with them in the Spring of 01. They never called.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by michaelskis
    I applyed for a job with them in the Spring of 01. They never called.
    I dont think that should be a refelction on you. From what I've seen of their operations, it seems they pull their entry level folks from UW Madison after an internship.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    There is usually a fatal flaw when zoning is used for code enforcement. Under most zoning schemes, enforcement is hampered by the appeal process. When property maintenance is under nuisance or building codes, you can simply write a citation for violations.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I dont think that should be a refelction on you. From what I've seen of their operations, it seems they pull their entry level folks from UW Madison after an internship.
    I did not think of it as a bad thing, but it would have been nice to get in. As it is, before I applied I did allot of research on the projects that they have been involved in, and I was very impressed. They seem like the type of place that has a good reputation for making a positive difference in the communities that they work with, and every one that I have spoken with from the firm has been very positive. So I will just look at it as a future goal, and that some day, maybe I will get enough experience and a good reputation in the planning world (or at least the mid west planning world WHEN I do come home), and maybe they will come looking for me.

It is a goal, and everything happens for a reason. I look at all the problems here, and I think that maybe I am hear so I can learn how to work with people who just don’t care about the real good of the community, and just care about there pocket book, or political standing, I should be able to work with good people.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    It is a goal, and everything happens for a reason. I look at all the problems here, and I think that maybe I am hear so I can learn how to work with people who just don’t care about the real good of the community, and just care about there pocket book, or political standing, I should be able to work with good people.
    That is what I figured after the first year of my job and having bought a house, 4 years later, things have not changed too much, except I get more negative every day. My suggestion, if you are really as unhappy as you sound and the place is as messed up as the news papers report, run from the place that is making you unhappy before you become what you hate.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Originally posted by donk
    My suggestion, if you are really as unhappy as you sound and the place is as messed up as the news papers report, run from the place that is making you unhappy before you become what you hate.
    Yes. Learning experiences only good for a little while. Life is short. But then, I am a hypocrite

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Well I was planning on being here for a few years to get the experience I needed, and then going back to the mid west. Well, I am going to go back to the mid west as soon as possible.

At times I enjoy living here. There are some wonderful parts of the city. But then I get into work. 20% I love my job, the other 80% person I hit my head on the desk and wonder how things can be this messed up.

That, and my friends and family are all in the mid west. I only get to see people once every 6 months or so. The people here are not as friendly as they are in the mid west. (Well, at least in the Reading Area)

SO... Codes Ideas

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Google Glass
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 09 Apr 2013, 9:50 AM
  2. Virtual Glass Blowing
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 17 Jul 2005, 7:43 PM
  3. Retail Spandral Glass Options
    Design, Space, and Place