Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: How does it work?

Registered
    Apr 2003

How does it work?

I was looking at information on the Main Street Program (the National One). Can some one better explain how it works, and what we would have to do to get the program here in PA?
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    There is not easy answer to that question. The Main Street Program at the national level promotes a concept of downtown and neighborhood commercial district revitalization based on the four themes of historic preservation, organization, ecoomic restructuring, and promotion. Its success lies in that is is comprehensive. Too many efforts fail because they just focus on ne element. The reason I can't give you a good answer is that the Main Street Program is implemented at the state level, and is different in every state. In Wisconsin it is competitive, and only 1-3 communities are accepted every year. In Illinois, if you want to become a Main Street community, all you have to do is say "me too." In Wisconsin, all they receive is technical training. Other states provide grant funds. Your best bet may be to identify states that are considered good examples, and gather information about them.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    You already have a state downtown program affiliated with the National Main Street Center:

Pennsylvania Downtown Center

PM me if you'd like some specific info on how this works at the local level. I helped start a downtown revitalization program affiliated with NMSC in a previous job.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Nov 2002
    The Main Street program in administered in PA by the Department of Community and Economic Development(DCED).

http://www.inventpa.com/default.aspx?id=325

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I went to their conference in 2001 in Indianapolis, and really learned the ins and outs. Also at the time I was doing a report on the Mississippi Main Street Program, they have a great one. I met with the state organizer, and the coordinator for Natchez and Port Gibson programs.

Let me know if the info I gathered would help.

Also I am sure the checked the main web site, it is full of information on the organizational structure.

http://www.mainstreet.org/
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12
    Last post: 21 Aug 2008, 8:26 PM
  2. Replies: 37
    Last post: 10 Apr 2004, 4:40 PM
  3. This is why I do not work in FL
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 55
    Last post: 05 Apr 2004, 10:31 AM