Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: regulating design of pole signs

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003

regulating design of pole signs

I could use some help here...

We're in the process of re-writing our sign ordinance and have come up with a few issues regarding pole signs. Our city has lengthy frontage on a 70mph freeway. Currently, we allow only monument signs. We've had some justified complaints from business owners that having monument signs block each other when several are in a row. They don't want to lose aesthetics, but would like the option for some pole signs along the freeway with restrictions. Does anyone have any experience in restricting materials or designs of pole signs? This is only for the highway, not the other arterials in the city. I would prefer to keep just monument signs, but if we can put together a good set of restrictions for pole signs, perhaps I can sleep at night.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Oct 2001
    There are pole wraps that can be installed to make the signs more architectural in character. Even in the freeway signage areas, we require a decorative pole wrap as a matter of policy.

Also: push for single poles.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I am wondering why people need to see the signs from the 70 mph freeway. I assume you have a frontage road system? Or are these signs at the backs of the buildings. Frankly, I would not encourage people who are driving fast to read signs instead of pay attention to their driving.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Thanks everyone! Yup. We've got damn frontage roads-gotta love Texas! I've tried the "people should not read signs at 70mph" arguement as well as the "if their going 70mph, by the time they read the sign they've already passed the exit" arguement. My comments have fallen on deaf ears, with the exception of the City Admin. I like the idea about pole wraps and I would definitely prefer single-pole signs.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Pole poll
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 01 Apr 2011, 6:37 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 17 Jun 2010, 9:26 AM
  3. Signs / billboards Regulating homemade signs
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 12 Nov 2007, 4:29 PM
  4. Signs / billboards Pole and ATM signage
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 26 Oct 2006, 10:11 AM
  5. Signs / billboards Removing on-site pole signs?
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 01 Jun 2006, 4:31 PM