Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: I got to ride Budgie's Segway

Registered
    Aug 2001

I got to ride Budgie's Segway

I know, I know, another segway thread is like another Wal Mart thread, but WTF....

I was really impressed by it. Although I have to admit, there is a learning curve to understand how your center of gravity affects your movement. With a little practice, its very intuitive though.

And for those of you that haven't met Budgie, he is a very cool dude in person.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Oh... so that's why Budgie is missing (joking)

I imagine that it takes a bit of practice to ride it... too bad I'm not gonna be seeing segways anytime soon

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Hey, SkeL:

If Segways do start appearing suddenly down there real soon, make sure the one you try has the updated software!

All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Oct 2001

Re: I got to ride Budgie's Segway

Originally posted by Chet
    I was really impressed by it. Although I have to admit, there is a learning curve to understand how your center of gravity affects your movement. With a little practice, its very intuitive though.
    Chet,
    Thanks for sending me a photo of your first ride.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    If you remained upright, does that mean you are more qualified to run the country than the incumbent?

PS. elGuapo - nice photo, pity Chet was obscured by his girlfriend.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Damn hanging out with Budgie, and riding the Segway. That seems like way to much to pack into one weekend.

Now that you've ridden it give us your honest opinion, are these things going to be the wave of the future?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I really wish I could have made it. My meeting went on until 10:15 last night and I couldn't sneak out early. I suppose I'll have to wait until the APA conference in DC next year.

Registered
    Feb 2000

Re: I got to ride Budgie's Segway

Originally posted by Chet

And for those of you that haven't met Budgie, he is a very cool dude in person.
    Our time was all too short. After you left for your meeting, the pilot we met in the parking lot bought a round. Then I went back to my hotel and gave a dozen demos in the lobby, had a couple beers and watched the ballgame. There was a hip hop/rapper and his posse (damn fine looking women, it's all pink on the inside) at the hotel. Anyway, I gave the headliner a demo and he was talking about buying a couple for his stage show. A couple more frosty barley pops and it was time for bed. I freaked out when Sammy it his long ball with 2 outs in the bottom on the 9th to tie it. WOW !!!!

Chet, how did the presentation go? You just disappeared, I know you're really busy. I met alot of nice WiscDOT, HNTB, Strand and other folks. I hung around the ITE gathering till 2:30 pm and gave everyone a demo (some snuck in two rides). The County's bomb squad was there as well and they wanted to get on of there geared up bomb disposal guys to ride my Segway, since the military are using them for bomb and mine clean up. i had a 3 hour layover in O'Hare and got back to K.C. around 10:30. Bout ta hit tha sack.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Re: Re: I got to ride Budgie's Segway

Originally posted by Budgie
    Chet, how did the presentation go? You just disappeared, I know you're really busy.
    I had to reschedule some meetings for 11AM so I only got to see your presentation then run. You did a great job, definitely held everyones interest.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Budgie, has anyone tried to become the first person to cross the United States on a Segway. This might be a great opportunity to begin in San Francisco and end in DC at the start of the APA conference. You can do it! Get people to sponsor you at so much per mile. I'll contribute!

Registered
    Feb 2000

Insane

Cardinal:

That is the most insane suggestion I've ever heard. Do I really come off as being completely insane? No doubt some fool will try, someday. A group glide across Rhode Island might work.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Re: Insane

Originally posted by Budgie
    Cardinal:

That is the most insane suggestion I've ever heard. Do I really come off as being completely insane? No doubt some fool will try, someday. A group glide across Rhode Island might work.
    People said it was insane to cross the oceans. It was insane to try to cross the continent to California... well, that probably was. It was insane to think of harnessing steam to power a boat, or to think man (and womyn) would ever fly. People drive across the continent, ride their bikes across the continent, and even walk across the continent. Why not glide on a Segway? One day, perhaps, we will even see an around-the-world Segwrace. Seriously, I'd be tempted to do it myself.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Chat posted
    I was really impressed by it. Although I have to admit, there is a learning curve to understand how your center of gravity affects your movement.
    No chet that was all of the beer you guys consumed prior to riding the segway.

Also is ther room for a set of straight pipes on one so everyone knows you are coming?
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 175
    Last post: 05 Jun 2010, 3:57 PM
  2. Replies: 71
    Last post: 08 Dec 2006, 11:02 AM
  3. Replies: 21
    Last post: 06 Apr 2005, 5:28 PM
  4. Segway - What do you think now?
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 09 Feb 2004, 9:28 PM