Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: el Guapo gets a bike

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Irish,
    I still enjoy and occasional afternoon with Mr. Limbaugh.

As to my riding, I have made much progress in increasing my fitness. I started off riding a few blocks. Now I ride about 15 miles after works every week day. I average about 15mph on a hilly course. The big chainring helps going down. I hit 35 mph the other night. Saturdays I go for about 25 miles. Sundays I rest. Please note that this is toting an old Schwinn Cro-Molly mountain bike up and down the hills of Northwest Missouri. We do indeed have hills. I seek them for the challenge. I rode up the worst hill in town yesterday.

I have changed out to semi-slick tires and keep the bike set up with fenders and a lighting system for rainy days and evening rides. I have a front bag and rear rack (softball for you Chet) for toting spare tubes, locks, wallet.

I started doing the occasional commute to work on days when I was sure i was going to do field work, but no showers are available in my neck of the woods and the ride is too short to make this anything other than a pain in the ass. The ride is only three miles and I need my car at work 70% of the time. Thus, it just makes more sense to go for a long ride after work.

I have used the bike for local erands and even went grocery shopping the other day with it. I made a set of homemade panniers to haul loads with. It is a supprisingly utilitarian device.

I really enjoy bicycling. I am fitter and feel better and I like the community of riders. The other day I went out without my normal cloth shorts over my bicycling shorts. The world wasn't ready for that much lycra covered ass.

I'm looking to get a used roadbike once the beergut is gone. Any suggestions. Keep in mind, I have a kid in braces and a frugal wife.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Welcome aboard, El Guapo. It sounds like you are riding more regularly than I do!

For "unsociable" people like myself, that cycling community can be great.

Not sure how much you want to spend, but I would suggest you look at Trek's line of road bikes. Its an American company (Wisconsin), and they offer a wide range of models and pricing. And, they are very widely distributed. Bianchi, Cannondale, and Specialized also offer moderately priced bikes that can be recommended.

The key, of course, is to find a shop that knows bike fit and matches you to a bike that is right for you.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    My LBS is a Trek dealer. I was thinking this one: http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2003/road/1000.jsp

It is all I can afford.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    A decent starting point. I might suggest an upgrade to Shimano 105 for the derailleurs, shifters, and brakes. But again, my first "real" road bike was a Trek, and it was fine until it was stolen.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Maybe this should be called el Guapo gets a new bike.

How tall are you and what is your inseam? (sizing is important) If you are of the right stature there are always good deals at the end of the season.

You may also want to look at used, bikes don't hold their value too much and you may be better off buying a 2-3 year old used bike in good condition(105-Ultegra level parts) vs a new sora bike.

For good value check out giant bikes. They are the manufacturer for just about everyone, even treks low end bikes.

Sora vs 105 for the shifters is preference thing. The shifters on sora are more like the campy ones then the rest of the shimano line. (you'll know what i mean when you look at them).

I'd also budget to get clipless pedals and shoes, they make riding much more comfortable and efficient.

If you are cruising at 15 mph on an old mountain bike you'll fly on a new road bike.

You are making me feel bad about not riding too much for teh last 2 weeks (weather related)

I see the group get together in DC including a bike tour.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

I road around with a beer gut for a while and I still won't wear those shorts alone! It's a big step in a bikers life when you go to the tights, big step. I've worn them before. Congrats on all the riding, that sounds great you're able to get that much riding in with a wife and kid. I think any trek is a great bike. I have a trek right now and I love it -it's about 5 years old and I have no complaints.

I see the group get together in DC including a bike tour.
    I'm in the process of planning out my Northern Tier Tour or Transamerica tour for the Summer of 2004. Oh what fun. I'm looking at buying Ortlieb panniers -it's like Christmas.

here are the routes
    http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Donk,
    Yeah the clipless and shoes are in the plan of acquisition. Got any recommendations? I also need a jersey. Got a suggestion for an entry level high- visibility brand? Right now I wear a lightweight reflective vest, because I ride exclusively on the road and in real traffic.

My sizes are 5'11 and 29-30" inseam. Call me el Torso. Can you recommend a frame size base upon that information?

I'd have NO problem buying a used 2-3 year old bike. In fact that is what I'd prefer. I'm doing my own maintenance now. My wife and I cut a deal. When I get 1000 more miles on this bike I can go get a better one.

I also bought a copy of Effective Cycling by John Forester. I'm about halfway through it. Next purchase is Zin on Bicycle Maintenance.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Another Trek rider here, my first and current road bike is an 8 year old trek (2100 carbon/aluminum 105/RSX). I have broken one frame, but they were pretty good about warranteeing it, even though the replacemnt's colours are ugly.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Sep 2001
    If you are short legged and have torso the compact geometry frames will probably be better for you. (they have a short seat tube and sloping top tube for stand over, but lots of distance from teh seat tube to teh head tube).

You can probably ride a 56 through 59 depending on the bikes geometry. One thing I'll look for on my next bike is a bike with a long head tube that puts the handlebars in a good spot.

For shoes and pedals, considering that it sounds like you are doing some utilitarian riding I'd go with mtb shoes and pedals. You can walk in them as the cleats are recessed and the shoes can look like hiking boots. For mtb pedals I use shimano pedals. Many people have good things to say about time (french) and egg beaters (US company)

If you are concerned with speed then road shoes and look pedals are the way to go.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I've always road on Looks. The cleats do wear out, which means another $10-$15 every few months.

Shoes: Specialized have some decent entry level shoes. If you have big (wide) feet like I do, you might try (pricier) Deodoras (my favorites)-but that's probably after you get serious.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I am all over the diadoras. I have a pair for mountain biking.
    The problem is that I got them for free and am having a helluva time justifing spending $350 on a new pair of shoes.

The only problem I have with look cleats is slipping on the floor of the gas station I refuel at on my 60 mile loop.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Look Cleats

I know what you mean. I was on a ride once, and went into a country store. The doorway to the store was at the top of this half-ass little asphalt ramp leading down to the street. Of course, when I walk out, I slip on the "ramp" and fall right on top of my bike, pretzeling the wheel. 30 miles from the starting point It was a very wobbly ride back!

I like my current Sidis from a fit standpoint (they are comfortable), but I'm about to give up on them. I have severe pronation (flat footedness) and they don't give enough support/I can't get them adjusted right. I'm gonna wreck my achilles tendon.

Sorry, El Guapo for hijacking your thread with bicycling stories

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Originally posted by donk
    Maybe this should be called el Guapo gets a new bike.
    Done!

hijacked baby

Anytime somebody else starts riding I get the fever for more riding. 30 miles a day and I'm good.

Has anybody here been on an extended self supported tour?

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I'm with you, all the talk of riding made me go for a monster ride last night.

I did a solo 70 mile (115 km). I maxed out at 40 (65km) miles per hour on a killer downhill.

I've never had anyone to go touring with, i think it would be fun to B&B hop for a week with a few changes of clothes and a credit card.

One of these years when I have a lot of cash I'll definately do the B&B thing especially a tour in the north east when the colors are raging if temps permit.

I do solo camping tours. One of the cool things about touring is that you'll hook up with some people along the way. Sometime they ride slower but hey big deal -I like to kick at some one else's pace for a while. In California (my location) you can camp for 1 dollar a night at the state hiker biker sights. Going down the coast is a lot of fun. On the central coast you can easily get a 100 mile day in with the wind at your back. It's nice to pull that off and not be in great shape and have 45 lbs of gear all over your bike.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Irish one, can't find it/don't remember if it has been mentioned, what type/brand of bike do you ride?

all of my local road riding is done on a Trek 7300 multitrack, a really fun bike to ride. I had to buy new handlebars and seat cause the fit sucked now the bike is a great ride. For touring I use a GT Palomar mountain bike-it cost me US$ 315. And it rides sweet with very few modifications.

My brother lends me his cannondale road bike often -can't remember specifically.

Registered
    Nov 2002

Enter Dumb Guy

Allow me to be the dumb outsider here. What's the difference between more expensive road bikes and your average 10 speed Schwin or mountain bike?

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Trying to get an image and just was'nt sure if you were touring on a mtb, hybrid or road bike.

here are the bikes I own and ride

1) Road Bike - Trek 2100 with 105/rsx parts- probably has about 20000 km on it
    2) MTB - Dekerf team SL - syncros (from when they were good) and xtr - probably has about 5000km on it
    3) Town bike - Brodie Climbmax - my old custom built racing bike - xt, and lots of cool old CNC parts. probably has about 12000 km on it.

Lustin gafter a new road bike(want custom or Ti) and a new mtb bike (suspension). Too bad I am a planner.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    The primary difference between cheap bikes, less expensive bikes and expensive bikes are

1) Cheap bikes are made from cheap materials and parts. They are typically sold at department stores and when parts need to be replaced are a pain (unusual sizes / seized together). These bikes usually come in a few sizes that you have to figure out which one fits you.

2) inexpensive bikes are bikes that are put together by a quality retailer (LBS) and use the low end parts from recognizable manufacturers (shimano, rock shox etc). Better selection of sizes and help from a shop.

3) expensive bikes use hi tech materials and parts. (Titanium, carbon fibre, aircraft grade steel and aluminum) They tend to be expensive because people/artists put them together vs machines and factory workers.
    Expensive bikes also tend to come in more sizes and the shop will work to fit you on the proper bike and parts.

Road bikes tend to have narrow tires (23-28 mm) vs the wide tires of a mtb (1.95 inches -2.25 inches). Road bikes are great where you have good roads, mtb are for offroad or rotten roads.

Hope this helps.

The best part about cycling is that you can afford (if you choose) to buy the exact same equipment that the pros ride. Can't do that in many sports.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I've got a Specialized hybrid. It's a solid, basic bike that I use for commuting to and from work. (about 6 miles round-trip)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I did an extended, self-supported ride from Chicago to LaCrosse a few years back. We peddled anywhere from 40 to 100 miles each day, depending on terrain and the location of state parks where we camped. Rain presented the biggest problem, not just because the cycling was more dangerous, but becuase the 35 pounds of gear we each carried got wet and much heavier (ex., wet tent). If I did it again I would skip the camping and stay in hotels along the route. There would be more room in the panniers for extra clothing, and less weight. Another option might be to mail yourself packages at different points on the route, then just send the old stuff home.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    A family I know road across Canada, they used BOB Trailers instread of panniers. Out MTB club uses one of these trailers to move tools around in the woods. They work well and don't mess up the handling of the bike too much. They can also carry more than panniers.

If I were to go long distance touring I'd probably use Michael's suggestion and have things drop shipped along the way.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The Trek is a good choice, El Guapo. I've mentioned before that they are made in my city. Their plant borders my back yard, barely a quarter mile from the house.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Thank you El Guapo
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 18 Jul 2006, 5:29 PM
  2. Replies: 41
    Last post: 12 May 2004, 5:35 PM
  3. El Guapo, We Need You
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14