Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Long Weekend

Registered
    Sep 2001

Long Weekend

This weekend is our long weekend for teh summer. it is NB Heritage Day, in Ontario it is Simcoe day and in NS it is Natal Day.

Anyone else have a long weekend and if so what does it celebrate?

My plans are to visit my parents, ride my bike and do laundry.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Going up to Ottawa for the weekend...I don't know what my wife has planned for us to do up there - we're visiting with some of her family.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    My rugby game is cancelled so that opens up my weekend a bit. I will probably go to an antique auction tomorrow and work around the yard/house on Sunday and put my feet up on Monday.

I used to work for a company where we took a half day on the Friday before the long weekend - so sweet!!!!!!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Monday is the ubiquitous "Civic Day" in Alberta. I guess I'll have to be civil.

We are staying in town, enjoying the beautiful smog-free 79F/25C weather (although unfortunately today it is 93F/34C)... and looking for a house. That will probably be the better part of the weekend: going out with Realtor on Saturday, maybe hit some open houses on Sunday.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    whats "civic day"?
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Originally posted by PlannerGirl
    whats "civic day"?
    They couldn't decide on a name for the holiday - so it's officially called the "civic holiday". As Donk mentioned, it's got various names in different provinces. Ontario calls it Simcoe Day, after our first Lieutenant (that's LEFT-tenant) Governor

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Next Monday (11th) is Victory Day in Rhode Island - formerly known as Victory over Japan Day. We're the only state politically incorrect enough to still celebrate it. I'm guessing it has more to do with strong labor unions who don't want to lose a holiday than political conservatism.

Registered
    May 2003
    This weekend is the Decatur Celebration, Illinois' largest free street festival. All of downtown Decatur is roped off, and up to 300,000 folks show up to eat fried foods, drink beer and wine, and listen to music on twelve stages. We got Paul Revere and the Raiders, we got Ray Parker Jr. (Ghostbusters), we got Mark Farner from Grand Funk Railroad, and we got Theron Denson, America's only African American Neil Diamond impressionist. It's gonna be a party! Whoo-ee!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by DecaturHawk
    This weekend is the Decatur Celebration, Illinois' largest free street festival. All of downtown Decatur is roped off, and up to 300,000 folks show up to eat fried foods, drink beer and wine, and listen to music on twelve stages. We got Paul Revere and the Raiders, we got Ray Parker Jr. (Ghostbusters), we got Mark Farner from Grand Funk Railroad, and we got Theron Denson, America's only African American Neil Diamond impressionist. It's gonna be a party! Whoo-ee!
    Wow, those are some big entertainers. Y'all must be wetting yourselves in Decatur.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    taking a week off for vacation
    flying (4 hrs) this time instead of driving (14+hrs)
    going to the Jersey Shore - been there every summer for 30+ yrs.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

     
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    In addition to the house hunting, we may go to a local festival here (Edmonton). It's called Heritage Days, but some just refer to it as Meat-On-A-Stick Days.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Ugh...It's SO FREAKIN' HOT! I can't imagine doing much of anything outside this weekend. I foresee trips to the mall or spending large quantities of time in the walk-in fridge at the liquor store. I can't wait to live in a place that has a nice cold finished basement. *crosses fingers*

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Plans for the long weekend?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 13 Feb 2004, 10:02 AM
  2. Plans for the Long Weekend?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 49
    Last post: 27 May 2003, 5:13 PM
  3. long weekend?
    Friday Afternoon Club