Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What is wrong with this scene?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

What is wrong with this scene?

Okay, gang ... something to contemplate (SFW) this Monday. Groders/heshers/Westies in Sweden?

Could this be the ultimate Anti-El Guapo cult? Swedes driving big American beaters, as opposed to Americans driving Swedish beaters?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Where do you find all of these sites Dan?

I think that's freaking awesome, although it's not the first time I've heard about this. I remember that during an MTV interview with the Swedish band The Cardigans the lead singer said that two of the things she and her friends loved to do was listen to bands like Black Sabbath and drive around in big old American cars. Maybe it's something left in the Viking blood. Life in modern Scandinavia is so efficient and easy that clubs like this, and those strongman competitions, are one of the few ways they can still be bad-asses.

I'm curious about the Confederate Battle Flag though. I've never been to Sweden but I recall seeing quite a few on display in both England and Northern Italy. What's the fascination?

Registered
    Oct 2001

Stereotypes ahoy!

They are all too skinny. If they are going to be worthy of big American metal, they need to hoist a few more brewskis and eat a lot more fried chicken.

Either that, or learn Spanish

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I get nervious evey time that some one posts a web site on here... Our IT dept is stirct, and well, there have been MANY web sites that close out before they are finished loading.

BUT, I will check it more when I get home.

Where do you find these sites??
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Originally posted by michaelskis
    Where do you find these sites??
    I just have a knack for it. (SFW) I've been collecting 'em ... I should start work on my blog again.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Originally posted by biscuit

I'm curious about the Confederate Battle Flag though. I've never been to Sweden but I recall seeing quite a few on display in both England and Northern Italy. What's the fascination?
    They were also all over Dachau Germany when I was there in 1999

PS. Not that I give it a lot of thought, but for your FYI, that is NOT the confederate battle flag. It was only used by Robert E Lee’s Virginia Division, not by the Confederacy.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by Huston
    PS. Not that I give it a lot of thought, but for your FYI, that is NOT the confederate battle flag. It was only used by Robert E Lee’s Virginia Division, not by the Confederacy.
    Really? I had never really given it a lot of thought either but I had heard it was naval battle flag of some type. Some kind of southerner I am. Although, I suppose that most of those pro-flag people think that was the official flag of the CSA.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Really? I had never really given it a lot of thought either but I had heard it was naval battle flag of some type. Some kind of southerner I am. Although, I suppose that most of those pro-flag people think that was the official flag of the CSA.
    I went to OLE MISS undergrad and had to listen to flag talk for 4 years. And this was the determination by professors / historians there.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by Huston
    I went to OLE MISS undergrad and had to listen to flag talk for 4 years. And this was the determination by professors / historians there.
    That's good enough for me.

Kind of OT:
    I find this kind of weird but I've seen way more of the stars and bars on auto plates,bumber stickers, tee-shirts, etc... here in Pennsylvania than I ever did in South Carolina. Well, excluding that giant one in front of the statehouse in Columbia.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    That's good enough for me.

Kind of OT:
    I find this kind of weird but I've seen way more of the stars and bars on auto plates,bumber stickers, tee-shirts, etc... here in Pennsylvania than I ever did in South Carolina. Well, excluding that giant one in front of the statehouse in Columbia.
    Yes. I have family in Indiana and when I went to visit I saw more “rebel flags” there than I ever did in Georgia where I grew up. What is the deal with that?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Swedish Land Yachts - Big American cars were a collector's item all over Northern Europe when I was there. Like here, sometimes you want to drive something different.

As to the Confederate Flag, when I see it in the North being shown by someone obviously from the North, I just think racist. Of course, I think the same thing when I see a Southerner display it also, but I try to give them the mental benefit of doubt. Southern pride and all. But secretly I am on my guard with those redneckers. Like the swastika, it is a symbol of something so vile and nasty that I can't look at it academically.

(sorry pridefull Southerners without racist intent)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Strange how this topic drifted from Swedes driving American land barges to the Stars and Bars.

While I despise "me too!" posts, I'd have to agree with El Guapo. Despite claims of "Southern heritage!", most of the time a S&B is displayed prominently, it's usually in the context of something racist, such as a Klan or White Pride rally. Consider that historically, the S&B kept a low profile until the civil rights movement of the 1950s, when it made its reappearance in various Klan meetings and state flags of defiant Southern states.

Someone may display it as a symbol of "Southern pride", but that's not how the majority are going to view it. One could excuse a bunch of Swedes for displaying the S&B on their Web site, because they don't know how the display is interpreted Stateside. Still, though, Volkswagen fans know better than to assemble under a waving swastika.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Hey Dan?

Did you get my private message?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Where do you find all of these sites Dan?...

Ha Ha! My thoughts exactly when I opened the site.

As for the flag, etc I am reminded that the Hells Angels have some rather large (and violent) clubs in the Scandinavian countries.
    Cheers,
    UrbanRunner
    :)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The scene of the crime/event
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 11 Sep 2012, 12:59 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 20 May 2010, 4:47 PM
  3. Wrong Song or Wrong Singer?