Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Miniature horses

Registered
    Apr 2002

Miniature horses

Is anybody else forced to deal with miniature horses and pygmy goats as pets in single-family neighborhoods? We passed an ordinance allowing pot-bellied pigs a number of years ago; and now the horse and goat owners want to play, too.

If you've dealt with this, I would appreciate knowing:

Do you allow these animals in your city? Which districts or neighborhoods?

Is a permit required? Who issues it? Is there neighborhood notice? What findings are required?

Do your regulations address noise, waste, walking them on city streets or public parks, leashes, vaccinations, or limits on the number or size of the animals?

Which agency and department enforces the regulations?

Any other words of advice greatly appreciated.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    The typo in the subject line makes this topic more interesting! We happen to allow any type of livestock, as long as they do not violate the nuisance code. We are trying to ban most everything though. Goats for milking for people that can not tolerate cows milk seems to be an issue. In the proposed ordinance the fact that the animals are miniature would not matter.

Registered
    Dec 2001

Aw shucks

I was thinking that this was going to be a great thread to brighten my ESRI class day, but alas, noooo.. It's about 4 legged animals.. oh well... must go back to class now.. *sigh*
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Prudence has a miniature whore story...

He has a great story about Outlaw bikers, a female midget, alcohol, and a display case. It put me to tears.

Registered
    Dec 2001

bturk

You forgot to add in the jar of green olives and case of Bass into the mix-
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I just happen to be working on my ultimate Land Development Code project. Here's what I wrote ...

310.2 Animal - companion

310.2.2 Definition
    Companion animal -- domesticated animal kept as a pet, including dogs, cats, rabbits, ferrets, birds, or non-poisonous reptiles. Household pets do not include exotic canines normally found in the wild (wolves, ≥50% wolf hybrids, foxes, coyotes, dingos, etc.), exotic felines normally found in the wild (lions, tigers, cougars, etc.), poultry, game and fighting birds; hoofed and cloven animals; and any species that has not been domesticated and bred to serve as a companion animal; such animals are considered inappropriate in residential areas.

310.2.3 Permitted locations
    * One to four companion animals at a dwelling are permitted by right in any zoning district.
    * Any number of quiet small animals such as birds, fish, rodents and non-poisonous reptiles at a dwelling are permitted by right in any zoning district, if there is no commercial activity other than a home occupation, and no breeding operation.
    * Five to eight companion animals at a dwelling unit are considered subject to administrative review. Considerations include lot size and location; and breed traits such as size, energy, temperament and potential for noise. Denial by the Town Planner may be appealed to the Planning and Zoning Board, through consideration subject to special review.
    * Nine or more companion animals at a dwelling unit are considered subject to special review.
    * Sales of companion animals, excepting quiet small animals, are prohibited in the C-V, C-G, and I-G districts.

310.2.4 Conditions
    For litters, refer to the requirements for a kennel (§306.25).

306.25 Kennel

306.25.2 Definition
    Kennel – facility where the overnight boarding of dogs, cats or other household pets; and/or breeding of household pets, is conducted as a business.

306.25.3 Permitted locations
    Kennels are considered subject to special review in the A-1, R-1-A, R-1, R-2 and R-NC zoning districts. Keeping a large number of pets will require special attention to determine that determine if they will have an adverse affect on the surrounding area, and that the pets are kept in a humane environment.

306.25.4 Conditions
    * The kennel operator is a “hobby breeder,” breeding occasional litters (two a year per unsprayed female) only to supply pets to individual owners at minimal profit (not pet stores, wholesalers, laboratories or “bunchers”); or a legitimate animal rescue operation that works to rehabilitate and rehome pets.
    * “Puppy mills” and “cat mills,” where pets are bred solely for profit, are prohibited.
    * Animals must be kept in a clean, safe and humane environment.
    * Animals must be considered and treated not as mere breeding stock, but as an integral part of their human host family.
    * Noise and odor must not be more significant than what would be expected for a “normal” resident with a companion animal.
    * Pet owners may have up to two litters for every unaltered female pet at a residence per year.
    * Pets <26 weeks old are not included in the overall count of pets at a residence.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Miniature Golf
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 11 Jul 2011, 3:32 PM
  2. Horses on non-motorized trails?
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 12 Feb 2006, 11:54 PM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last post: 18 Mar 2004, 6:46 PM