Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Old School Candy

Old School Candy

I was in a gas station at lunch and I saw that they had "Now and Laters" I haven't had one (or even seen them) in a long time so I bought 2 packs, my old favorite, Grape and this new "Red Radberry" flavor. As I was chewing on them I fondly looked back on the candy that I enjoyed as a kid. Some of my faves were

- Lik-em-Aid (Sugar stick that you dipped in more sugar!)
    - The Ferra Pan (?) candies like Alexander the Grape, Atomic Fireballs, Lemonheads.
    - Black Cow (basically a Sugar Daddy covered in chocolate)
    - Candy cigarettes

What about you?
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

     
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    I used to love sweet tarts, pixie sticks, wax coke bottles, hubba bubba, fun dip (lick m aid), and Thrills, the gum that tastes like soap.

One of my favorite candies was mojos

Registered
    Jul 1998
    I still eat a bunch of atomic fireballs in the winter
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Stix (I think they were just long flat jolly ranchers).
    The 5 cent suckers that burst into powder the moment you bit into them.
    The gum from Topps sports cards.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Fun Dip/Lik-m-aid
    Red Vines!!!!
    Pixie stix (sugar in a straw!)
    Now n later
    Abbazabba
    Bazooka gum
    Smarties (the US kind, not the Canadian kind)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    POP ROCKS!

Pixie Sticks

Dots (the kind you had to peel off the paper but never got all the paper off but you didnt care)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Candy I *never* liked: black licorice and neccos. Neccos are just nasty nasty nasty.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I loved warheads, o henry, and mr goodbar.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    resse's peanut butter cups, skitles, starbursts, bazooka gum.. hmm at least those are the ones that come to mind, form what I ate in the US (no good mentioning local candy :p)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Waiting for the inevitable "candy in Canada/Australia/NZ/the UK is better than American candy" post in three ... two ... one ...
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Originally posted by Chet
    POP ROCKS!

Pixie Sticks

Dots (the kind you had to peel off the paper but never got all the paper off but you didnt care)
    You know, some people still think that if you drink warm dr. peper with a mouth full of pop rocks you will die.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I liked a candy named Fruit Punch. They were little tablets, like Pez (good, too).
    GoodnPlenty
    licorice, black and red
    baseball bats, kind of taffy lollipops
    AS an adult, I loved a candy bar that I think was called Bar None, made by Hershey. I don't think they make them anymore.

Once, at a mall, a marketing company invited to a room to taste test and compare chocolate bars!! but they wouldn't give me a sample of the new bar they were testing, and it never made it to market.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Dan
    Waiting for the inevitable "candy in Canada/Australia/NZ/the UK is better than American candy" post in three ... two ... one ...
    Candy in Canada is better than candy in the US. Damn. I suppose it will soften the blow when they take over, though. I'm with Repo on the candy cigarettes. There were two kinds, chocolate ones wrapped in paper, and the sugar ones which I loved. I wonder why I don't see them in stores anymore.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Re: Old School Candy

Originally posted by Repo Man
    I was in a gas station at lunch and I saw that they had "Now and Laters"
    Nomalaters! Well, at least that's what the folks in my neck of the woods called them. There's also the related Good n' Plenty and Mike and Ike, which I don't see much of lately.

I loved those chalky, sugary candy cigarettes. Other treats that I remember fondly include Nerds, those colored candy dots on long rolls of cash register tape, Necco wafers, bubble gum cigars, and rock candy.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

     
    Registered
    May 2003
    Those candy necklaces that you could eat a piece at a time always were fun.

What about the wax candy that had some sort of flavored water inside? You were supposed to take the top off and drink the liqid inside. My frinds and I always ended up chewing on the wax. It tasted better than the juice inside.

Did anyone save mallo cup points ( 1, 5, 10, 50 etc) in order to get free candy? I remember saving for years and never did get enough points.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Reese's Peanut Butter cups ...... mmmmmmm

....and you can't forget the Lemon Heads, and the Grape candy?

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Was at a local store last night and they had Hot Tamales, a cinnamon flavoured candy, remember them fondly from being a kid. Bought a box and they were as good as I remembered.

I love black licorice, Panda Brand is the best it is all natural and really good.

Big Turk Chocolate bars - basically a chocolate covered grape jube jube.

With you guys on the Fun Dip/Lik-m-aid.

Jelly beans, especially black.

just remembered another one - bottle caps, basically a sugar candy in pop flavours in the shape of a bottle cap.
    Last edited by donk; 06 Aug 2003 at 10:00 AM.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by nerudite
    Candy I *never* liked: black licorice and neccos. Neccos are just nasty nasty nasty.
    Sorry, Nerudite. I've got to disagree. Licorice Necco wafers are my favorites.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Jul 2002

yum

We used to take Lik-m-aid and put ir in a bottle of Lotta Cola and then hold it to our mouths and try to keep ahead of the foam. Along with foam out the nose, I swear it came out my ears.

How about B B Bats and for the movie Ju-Ju-Bees, those little hard plastic things that would pull the filling out of your molars.

Blue popscicles were good.

Did anyone have 1c bublegum machines that gave 5c "winners" that looked like little orange baseballs?
    Last edited by Tom R; 06 Aug 2003 at 10:39 AM.
    WALSTIB

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I liked the little plastic garbage pails filled with hard candy shaped like bottles, etc. And the little UFOs, also filled with hard candy.

I also liked candy cigarettes - they're actually back again, strange as it may seem. My nieces' got a whole punch last halloween.

"Bubble King" bubble gum. rock hard, and the flavour lasted about 10 seconds...

Can't beat good old chocolate bars though....

My friend's mom worked at one of the Necco plants in Pewaukee, Wisconsin. They always had boxes of them around their house, so we had an endless supply. I kind of like the chocolate ones even through they kind of taste like cardboard with a dusting of cocoa powder and chalk.

I also loved Ju Ju Bees, which I can't seem to find anywhere.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Apr 2002
    When I was little my dad was in adverstising/marketing for various products, including the Willy Wonka candy line. It made me temporarily the coolest kid in the neighborhood and most popular on long school bus rides. My garage was full of samples of Nerds, sour candy, lollipops, gummy candy, etc - all the stuff that my mom though would rot the teeth out of my head.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Fun-Dip
    Nerds
    Runts
    Sweet Tarts
    Pixie Sticks - After watching the drug movie Less Than Zero, me and a friend tried snorting lines of Pixie Stick sugar. Needless to say it wasn't near as cool as it looked in the movie.

I always loved candy but, because of my natural overabundance of energy, my Mom would only let me have it as a special treat.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Chocolate Charlston Chews - straight from the freezer - yum.

I also used to love the banana penny candy - now I am dating myself!

There are a couple of candy stores in downtwon Halifax which have some of these things. I also have noticed some stores now have Lik-m-aid but there is only one flavour and it is waaay smaller.

     
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    ...Smarties (the US kind, not the Canadian kind)
    Fortunately we have those kind of smarties here too...they're called rockets here.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Ask Dandy about Candy
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 01 Aug 2011, 6:45 PM
  2. Easter Candy
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 01 Apr 2011, 7:00 PM
  3. Candy Sale Banned to Minors