Urban planning community

Poll results: Which would you rather have in your neighborhood?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Subway

5 13.16%
  • McDonalds

0 0%
  • Walgreens

4 10.53%
  • CVS

3 7.89%
  • Radio Shack

7 18.42%
  • Starbucks

19 50.00%
Closed thread

Thread: What would you rather have in your neighborhood?

Registered
    Mar 2003

What would you rather have in your neighborhood?

Which of the following businesses, known for their abundance across the US, would you rather have on a busy corner in your neighborhood?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Starbucks blends in with a neighborhood. Starbucks provides a service more important than drugs or food. Starbucks will build a store for pedestrians. Starbucks is an indicator of a healthy retail environment. Starbucks attracts good-looking women.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Starbucks. No corporate architecture, a good, quiet, alcohol-free environment that is condusive to conversation and meeting others, and an indicator of the demographic desirability of an area.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Dec 2001
    CVS...there's one there now. In a blizzard it is the only store open. Convenient.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    A vote for CVS is a vote for Walgreen's...or is it the other way round? I voted Starbucks, more out of pedestrian friendliness than anything else. Ok, that and the caramel macchiato. Subway would be ok, too, though. There's a 1950's-era diner in our city that's been turned into a Subway--they just put their signs around the top, so the essential diner look is unchanged. Pretty cool reuse, considering it could have been torn down.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Definately Radio Shack. Most are locally owned, often found in downtowns and other small locally owned commercial buildings.

Electronic toys & accessories. Need I say more?
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I voted Starbucks, Food, and they can move into just about any location, with out having to build a new building, unlike CVS or Mc Donald’s where they have mostly cookie cutter buildings. That, and Starbucks is pedestrian friendly!
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

It was a tough choice between Starbucks and Radio Shack. However my love for all things electronic led to my vote for Radio Shack.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Feb 2003
    There is a time and place for all, if they behave themselves and have good design. I am not anti corporations as I may seem, but I do prefer mom and pops.

If I had to choose it would be McD’s, because I would spend the least $$ there

Starbucks has automatic withdrawal on my checking account.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Starbucks. Drug stores are already everywhere and they seem to only build them big and ugly today, always with those gd drive-thrus. I hate those.

Where are all the anti-Starbucks people? I remember when I first stared reading/posting messages here last year that I defended Starbucks in some thread and got pummeled with criticism.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    starbucks. I hate their coffee, but LOVE their heath bar brownies.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Originally posted by Michael Stumpf
    Starbucks attracts good-looking women.
    Starbucks for that reason.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I voted Walgreen's only because we're probably getting one anyway. They have an application in for a plan amendment/rezone at the end of my street, and as a county planner I really don't want to go up in front of the commission as a private citizen protesting this.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I voted Walgreens. I have a Long's (a California regional drugstore chain) in my neighborhood two blocks away. If you want to "be able to walk to a store to get a carton of milk," that's the place. Plus, they have a pretty good garden supplies section, including a department manager who likes Mexican pots.

Its a semi-ugly ugly strip building, but since its on a major arterial anyway, I'll choose the convenience. Also, Walgreens in Northern California will actually hire good (or at least interesting) architects, if a neighborhood or city forces them too. Not that "any corporate architecture is ok with us" Vacaville WOULD force them too.

Registered
    Jul 2003

Starbucks

I emphaticly agree with the reasoning for starbucks. To all those who listed CVS/Walgreens, I advise you to come and visit the vacated drugstores within the City of Detroit and its ring communities. These companies will not hesitate to abandon facilities if short term profit (3 years) is not what they expect it to be, and can be notoriously difficult to get to maintain landscaping! Of course, proper site plan review and ordinance enforcement can always help sustain a pleasant environment!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    CVS is headquartered here and employs hundreds of people so they can do no wrong! Walgreens sucks!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I voted Walgreens. When you're on your death bed with the flu at 3am, you dont want to drive 5 miles to get drugs.

That and:

1. We dont have CVS around here

B. I hate starbucks

3. I avoid McDonalds and only eat it as a last resport (plus they stink up the neighborhood when they dont maintain their traps).

4. Subway is just 'okay'

5. I cant remember the last time I was in a Radio Shack.

Registered
    May 2003

Caffeine Fix!

Starbucks for me. While they are the 800 lb. gorilla of their industry, they sure have increased the availability of good coffee. When I moved to Denver 10 years ago, I was working in a part of town that was entirely devoid of decent brew and I'd Thermos my own stuff for the day just to get by. Thanks to SB, I no longer have to do that.

From what they add to the bult environment, I have yet to see one of their sites that hasn't been an improvement to what existed previously. The typical site succcess story is the tired strip center that gets rejuvenated by virtue of their occupancy.

And, at least in this market, I've yet to see the arrival of a new SB blow away the small independent coffeehouse ala the WalMart model.

Registered
    May 2003
    I chose starbucks too, but it was the "best of a bad lot" choice. I don't think any of those adds anything to the community.

What I think is important in terms of chains is to get stores that offer things neighborhoods generally can't provide for themselves. For instance, there aren't a lot of meat markets (any?) anymore, so the only place to buy meat is at a supermarket. So a supermarket with a butcher shop would benefit the community.

I like my neighborhood's Jewel store for that reason, although I only buy about a quarter of the food I eat there. Also Jewel is willing to make their stores fit the neighborhood if pressed. Unfortunatly, mine dosen't.

Actually, I remember seeing a lot of independent supermarkets on Devon St. I'm not sure if they had butcher shops or not. Meat probably isn't in high demand in that area anyway.

By the way, BKM, I buy my milk at a place run by an Arabic family called "La Fiesta". You don't need Walgreens for that. :P

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Sadly, I usually drive to the supermarket

Because the Nugget Market across town is simply too cool to resist. They totally transformed an ugly strip center. Colored concrete floors, wine tasting every weekend, great produce, salsa, and soups.

But, this topic has been endlessly debted on another thread

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I voted starbucks, even though I don't drink coffeee. i like the way they smell and anything that may attract good looking women is fine by me.

Maybe this list needs hooters?
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jun 2003
    I voted Starbucks simply 'cause they're the best of a list of poor choices. Like many have said. SB generally DOES improve the 'hood into which they move simply through image, and we all know how vain we are in this soceity! Would I frequent it? Probably would, it IS a good place to meet and greet, but any coffee shop would be able to do that. A close second would be Radio Shack. They're locally owned establishments and do provide a service not often found with in walking distance.
    You're more boring than you know.

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 19
    Last post: 26 Feb 2011, 3:28 PM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last post: 04 Nov 2008, 6:18 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 04 May 2002, 8:35 PM