Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Governor Terminator

Registered
    Jan 2003

Governor Terminator

Ahhnold defied speculation and announced his candidacy for the grab bag that is the California governor's office. Unless some other California heavy shows up, it seems to be his race to lose. Yes, he's Hollywood and has no experience in public office, but if he puts a good staff together, works a pragmatic agenda that appeals to members of both parties, he just may pull of a successful stint.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Why on earth would he want to step into the Kennedy Curse?

Registered
    Apr 2002
    I thought for sure Maria had talked him out of it. I just watched him on CNN and he sounded pretty good, but this is before the press and other candidates launch their attack. His immigrant story might resonate with some voters.

I also heard Ariana and I was pretty impressed with her. I would think she'd play better in CA, like how well Sens Feinstein and Boxer do.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Greenescapist
    His immigrant story might resonate with some voters.
    Just think - he'd be the first governor to show his arse on the big screen.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Originally posted by Chet
    Just think - he'd be the first governor to show his arse on the big screen.
    If Ahhnold couldn't handle 5-year olds in "Kindergarten Cop," how is going to handle the California Assembly?

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Originally posted by pete-rock
    If Ahhnold couldn't handle 5-year olds in "Kindergarten Cop," how is going to handle the California Assembly?
    Its noht a tuuuumah!!!!!!!!
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Does anyone else remember a reference in 'Demolition Man' to the Schwarzenegger Library or something - it was explained in the movie that he had been US president. But it was intended as a joke! Truth may be stranger than fiction.....

Registered
    May 2003
    Guffaw away. What we do in California now, you will be doing five years from now.

And you'll be loving it.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Hell, Jesse THE BODY got passing marks in Minnesota, Its worth handing it to him. The GOP has nothing to loose. If they put a heavy hitter in and he fails, hes done for, so put in the new guy with the name as hamburger meat. Who knows, he just might pull it off.

On another note, our politicians should have a little more background than just "I have a law dagree so I am qualified". Background unspecified because you can have lagitimate goals and ideas without being a professional policy wonk/beuracrat.

to Gray Davis, "Get Ooouuut!"
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Ugh, can you imagine a re-election signs.."I''ll be back! Vote Ahhhnold 2004".
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    eww thats funny Habanero
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    He already has used the "asta la vista baby" quote. That's going to get tired pretty soon.

Former republican actors from Cali have a pretty good track record.

Be interesting to watch.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    This morning on NPR, a commentator was asked about the strengths and weaknesses of Ahhhnold's candidacy. The reply (which was serious!) was something like, "He's a robot who kills people. That could hurt his campaign."

It's a MOVIE, you idiot!!!

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Hey at least watching this play out might be funny and thus break the boring "the economy sucks" stuff
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Oct 2001
    What other stars in the movie Predator will run for office? That is the true question. Will it be Carl Weathers, Elpidia Carrillo, Bill Duke, or Sonny Landham?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Originally posted by JNL
    Does anyone else remember a reference in 'Demolition Man' to the Schwarzenegger Library or something - it was explained in the movie that he had been US president. But it was intended as a joke! Truth may be stranger than fiction.....
    We would have to change some laws for him to be Prez: no immigrants allowed. But, hey, I think everyone else can just drop out of the California Governor's race now.

You know what's going to happen, Gray Davis will win the recall. There are so many hats in the ring now that votes are going to be dispersed all over the place. I read that Gary Coleman is running too.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Nov 2002
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Aug 1997

Kids POV

My wife used to teach 4th grade here in Texas, where you have to learn about Texas government and history. Luckily, our governor's names have been pretty easy to spell recently (Richards, Bush, Perry).

I imagine the teachers in CA would have to teach their kids to spell S-C-H-W-A-R-Z-E-N-E-G-G-E-R. That's tough for a 4th grader.

Also, some of them may have to explain to the kids that he's not really a robot from the future who kills people.

Also, were he to become governor, I wonder what would happen to the picture of the governor that's usually prominently displayed in state office buildings. Would they post pictures of his various characters, or pictures of him from his bodybuilding days? Would the caption read "Our Governor", or one of his famous movie lines? Would a normal picture be the target of vandals drawing in those terminator shades?

What about if he served a couple of terms and they erected a statue of him on the capital grounds? I can see that being a tourist attraction and/or subject of vandalism. Vandals might be wrapping the statue with a black leather jacket, putting on the black shades or the one red eyeball thing, putting firearms in his hands, etc..

(Note: I'm not advocating any of these things, just speculating.)
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    It is true Gary Coleman is running.

Is his summation in the debates going to be

"Whatchu talkin' 'bout gray"?
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Assumming Arnold knows his stuff these other celebrities like Larry Flynt and Gary Coleman just make him look like another unqualified celebrity. The more celebrities run, the more the career politicians look good.

You've got to give Arnold credit for being a republican married into the Kennedy's. I guess it helps during family political debates if you're a former body building champion.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    I'd vote for Huffington over Davis or Issa or the Gubernator. She's a badass.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Oh, how I pity my home state. Things will only get worse if Arnold or Anna win. What a waste.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I really don't buy the "lack of experience" arguement against Arnold. Sometimes the best way to fix a political problem is to bring in a fresh perspective from an outsider. Being in Texas, I don't keep up with Cali politics, but I know enough to say with some confidence that the status quo in Sacramento needs to go (and I mean both parties). My first impression of Arnold is pretty positive; he seems to have a good vision for the future of California. I think he's smart enough to know that to be successful he must surround himself with people that can implement his vision. Even though I tend to vote democrat, based on first impressions Arnold would get my vote. I'm not worried about Arnold being too conservative either; after all, his wife of several years is a democrat, and you don't stay married for that long without listening to your wife at least a little bit! I'm predicting Arnold will be fairly moderate when it comes to policy making. Of course I'm from Texas, so it's not like I can brag about our state government either!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!

Re: Kids POV

Originally posted by Joe Iliff
    Vandals might be wrapping the statue with a black leather jacket, putting on the black shades or the one red eyeball thing, putting firearms in his hands, etc..
    Those people would not be VANDALS, they would be impromptu artists.

Finally, we could get some interesting public art that would be worth the price of having. Just imagine the VANDALS running around all willy nilly, redoing their flagrant acts of public desecration every couple of days to keep the stautue fresh. All without public funding of the redocoration job.

THOSE BASTARDS!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 36
    Last post: 12 Jan 2009, 4:01 PM
  2. If you were Governor?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 15 Sep 2005, 1:32 PM
  3. Replies: 32