Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Hawk - 1, Ren - 0

Registered
    Sep 2001
    That is what you get for having a punt dog and not keeping it on a leash.

I used to wear a white cycling helmet and I was attacked by a hawk. It hit me in the back of the helmet so hard that it knocked me off of my bike and out for about 30 seconds. My helmet had claw prints in the styrofoam from its talons.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I don't see a need to stop the program just because of a single incident. I like the thought of using natural predators to keep the pidgeon population at bay.

Registered
    Jul 2002

Hawks

I have heard of Redtailed Hawks attacking dogs as big as german shepards, especially when times are tough like a drought. Cats dissappeared too.
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Aug 2001
    No lie: I saw a bald eagle take off with a toy poodle once when I was living on Whidbey Island. It was awesome (mostly because the dog was always chasing the wheels of my car, so I was glad that something else killed it besides me). But that's what happens when fish is scarce for the season and people let their little dogs run around unsupervised. I had an eagle start diving for my cat once (during that same spring), but it got away in the nick of time.

When I was a kid we had a bunch of lhasa apso puppies, and we almost lost one to a turkey vulture. He had just landed and was edging closer (presumably to pick at it) when we shooed it off. It was probably about four feet away from the puppy (which was only a few weeks old) when we got to it.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I took Maggie for a walk this week in our usual place and heard a strange noise. I thought it was a seagull blown a little off course (we have had big rain and wind for the last few days). But just as I came around the next turn - a hawk (I think...redtail, I think) was flying towards me - about 4 feet off the ground - with Maggie running after it. The hawk landed in the tree above me and I called Maggie over - snapped her lead on and walked out. They had come from around a bend so I am still curious about what might have been there - but not that curious.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    I now have some ideas on how to deal with my prairie dog problem.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    The doves and pigeons in Green Bay have been dissappearing. The Hawk population is coming back with a vengence now that DDT is leaving the environment. When driving on the highways, you will see them sitting on the fence posts. Highways are great habitat for the hawks to hunt in.
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I was traumatized as a child. *Ok stop laughing. I was sitting on the back deck at my parentís house one day, and we had noticed a litter of bunnies in our garden a few days earlier. Well, I see this large bird (I think it might have just been a crow or something) swoop down, and grab one of the bunnies. The screaming noise was horrific.

I went inside got a b.b. gun, and took the bird down.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Nov 2002
    About four years ago I was driving down I-26 to Charleston when a large hawk swooped down in front of the car into the median and went straight up into the air with a rabbit. I was amazing to see how fast they can move, considering that I was doing 70mph and saw the whole thing.

Registered
    Jul 2002

akron

Like a lot of cities, Akron has Peregrine Falcons nesting on one of the higher buildings down town. I've seen them swoop down main street screeching. Very cool, and it seems that all the flying rats have some place else they want to be at the time. A co-worker saw one of them take a pigeon. I haven't been so fortunate.

One of the licensed eagle watchers near Kent told this to the local papers. He was observing the eagles one day when a Red Tail came swooping down to harass it or scare it away. He said that the eagle just rolled over and grabbed the hawk and flew with it back to its nest. Lunch delivered!
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Aug 2001

Re: akron

Originally posted by Tom R
    One of the licensed eagle watchers near Kent told this to the local papers. He was observing the eagles one day when a Red Tail came swooping down to harass it or scare it away. He said that the eagle just rolled over and grabbed the hawk and flew with it back to its nest. Lunch delivered!
    Heh heh. I like redtails, but you just don't mess with an eagle. Watching them fish on the Mississippi or Wisconsin Rivers is a great way to spend a winters day. I shot this one a couple years ago, it is the closest to a catch that I have managed.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I was working at Marquette Mountain Ski Area during the winters in college, and we would see eagles on a regular basis in the early morning hours. It was amazing to see these massive birds, sitting on trees covered with a glaze of ice and snow.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Jul 2002

birds

Ospreys are fun to watch too and they're more common around here.
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Sep 2001
    The ospreys down by my parents are hilarious to watch, especially right now when this springs kids are nearly grown. The mother and her 2-3 chicks barely fit into the nest, the kids just have feathers and don't really fly so well and are always falling out and sitting on the ground crying to get momma's help to get back into the nest.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jul 2002

osprey

Originally posted by donk
    The ospreys down by my parents are hilarious to watch, especially right now when this springs kids are nearly grown. The mother and her 2-3 chicks barely fit into the nest, the kids just have feathers and don't really fly so well and are always falling out and sitting on the ground crying to get momma's help to get back into the nest.
    Sounds like my sister's kids.
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Was riding my bicycle down the road out by one of the sloughs in the Suisun Marsh and saw an osprey grab a fish right out of the water. Pretty cool!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12
    Last post: 29 Dec 2010, 6:16 PM
  2. Black Hawk, CO bans bikes
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 13 Jul 2010, 4:01 PM
  3. Happy Birthday Decatur Hawk
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 31 Dec 2003, 11:06 AM