Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New cyburbanite here

Registered
    Aug 2003

New cyburbanite here

Hi there,
    I found out about cyburbia from the planetizen, and found out about planetizen from a classmate who also works for a city planning department. These forums are fun and informative.

I am a non-traditional student (read: old bored housewife) almost finished with a bachelor's in urban and regional planning from Eastern Michigan University. It does have a reputation as a party school (it is located practically in the shadow of the illustrius U of M) and has almost non-existent admissions requirements, but at least its program is accredited, one of the few undergrad programs in the country that is. Before that, in my former life, I finished a year of architecture at U of D-Mercy, and 3 years of civil engineering, before I realized that engineering really wasn't very fun. So I got married, had a bunch of kids, got an associate's degree in Construction Technology, and eventually ended up living within commuting distance of EMU.

I declared my major in planning 2 weeks before Sept. 11. That event really did change this country and the world.

I would love to eventually work for any municipal planning department, but face the very real fact that going into an interview cold with no work experience, wearing my muslim head-scarf, is going to put off alot of prospective employers.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Welcome!

Registered
    Apr 2003

Re: New cyburbanite here

Originally posted by Cityscape Dreamer
    Eastern Michigan University. It does have a reputation as a party school
    Yes, it does. I went to Northern Michigan University, and I been to more than a few parties when I was visiting friends.

Welcome to our party!
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Aren't bored housewifes usually found on a different type of website?

Welcome to cyburbia!

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Welcome!
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Welcome!!

Happy to see another person who is familiar with the Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti combo.

Keep on going and don't let the "head scraf" bigots be of any concern. I got a job and I wear a Rebel flag tie to all interviews.

(LOL)
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Welcome!

As for future career prospects, you've read it elsewhere in these forums, but it's worth repeating: internships, internships, internships.

Your life experiences and diverse background should/may be considered an asset to many municipal planning departments.

We look forward to your thoughts and participation!
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Sep 2001
    welcome and keep a positive attitude, with your education you'd make a welcome member of most small-midsized planning departments.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Welcome!
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    May 2003
    Welcome to our little group. Back in the early '90's, I was City Planner for Ypsilanti and have fond memories of my time there. Ypsi is a nice little town that is perpetually on the verge of greatness. Not to mention the world's most phallus-like water tower. Post early and often!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Welcome to the forums... the more the merrier.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    welcome from a bored planner
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Welcome.....

There is a real ying yang thing going on... .didn't someone just leave???
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Welcome!
    Have fun and post regularly.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Welcome.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Howdy from a EMU alumni

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Welcome

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Welcome aboard!
    Cheers,
    UrbanRunner
    :)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Originally posted by Tranplanner
    Aren't bored housewifes usually found on a different type of website?

Welcome to cyburbia!
    No, no. I'm also just a bored housewife/college student. This is apparently the place to be for such types. After we get done running our household, we figure we are qualified to run a city or county -- and, next, The World! (When I say this, I have in mind that cartoon where the lab mice try to Take Over The World every night and it is hard to figure out if Stinky or The Brain is really the dumb one or the smart one. Gosh, having children really exposes one to such grand cultural experiences.)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Oh, yeah, I meant to also say welcome to my fellow bored housewife/college student. Oops.

Welcome Cityscape Dreamer.

Registered
    Aug 2003
    Originally posted by DecaturHawk
    Ypsi is a nice little town that is perpetually on the verge of greatness.
    Really? I assume you mean the City of, not Township...

"Ypsilanti is faced with a declining population, a high poverty rate(18%), limited opportunities for tax base expansion, adeteriorating infrastructure, and a higherunemployment rate than surrounding communities." -Fromhttp://www.epa.gov/brownfields/html-doc/ypsilant.htm .

You may remember the Water street area, south of Michigan ave just east of the river, with its junkyards and scrapyards, and an old injection well, among other charming amenities? Well, the city recently got $200,000 from the EPA to redevelop 35 acres on the bank of the pristine Huron river from abandoned industry to high-density mixed residential with new-urbanist undertones.
    http://www.biltmore-homes.com/hc_wat...ncept_site.htm .

Gene Jaworski had us traipsing around back in there among the rusting cars, snapping pictures for a report in his Environmental Assessment and Planning class . (By the way, he is retiring from teaching, along with Rocky Ward. The two of them started the Planning program at Eastern years ago, it won't be the same without them!)

Registered
    Aug 2003
    Originally posted by Michele Zone
    it is hard to figure out if Stinky or The Brain is really the dumb one or the smart one.
    I believe you mean PINKY and the Brain? I must have seen "Wakko's Wish" a zillion times...

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Originally posted by Cityscape Dreamer
    I believe you mean PINKY and the Brain? I must have seen "Wakko's Wish" a zillion times...
    Uh, yeah. I realized it was Pinky, not Stinky, a while ago but was not in the position to get online to correct it. lol. I figured someone would correct me before I got back. Thanks. I should have known it would be you.

I homeschool my gifted- learning disabled kids. So I find that show particularly funny. When Pinky says something that is all whacked out but, in a weird way, far smarter than anything The Brain ever says, it reminds me of my kids (especially one of them).

I have a little stuffed 'doll' (for lack of a better word) that my sister sent me (possibly when I got my Associate's) dressed in a graduation gown and hat that says "I is a brane" across the front of his shirt. I keep it on the same shelf with my Associate's degree (summa cum laude) and some of my academic awards. lol.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Hello and welcome.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 10 Nov 2003, 6:52 PM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last post: 22 Oct 2003, 9:22 PM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last post: 10 Oct 2003, 6:59 PM