Urban planning community

Poll results: Tongue Splitting - Is it too much?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • No. Imagine the sexual impacts!

7 17.95%
  • Yes. It gives me the Heebie Jeebies!

30 76.92%
  • Other, explained below.

2 5.13%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tongue Splitting

Registered
    Aug 2001

Tongue Splitting

CNN just posted an article on tongue splitting.

Is this going too far?

Registered
    May 2003
    I voted 'no'...
    I think it would be great (on someone elses
    daughter)

I would probably vote 'yes' if you asked
    what if one of my children wanted to
    mutilate themselves.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    No its not....

Penis splitting takes it to a whole new level though.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I thnk it is going too far and I'm going to have the heebie jeebies all day - especially after Mike's post. After a while its a surgical procedure that should be done by a plastic surgeon not a piercer. I always think its hilarious when someone who thinks they're so cool with a toungue piercing talks with a lisp. I think that as medical technology advances people are going to have the option of doing all sorts of weird things to themselves and regulations are going to have to keep up.
    [vomits on zoning ordinance]

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    I'm with Seabishop...that pic will freak me out all day....I'm quite content with my wife's pierced tongue, thank you.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Aug 2001
    That article needs a companion piece: High School Students Form Tongue-Splitting Oral Sex Club.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Sorry - way too gross. And definitely should be done by a surgeon, not a guy with a scapel and a blow torch. I wouldn't be in favor of banning it, but I do think that it is definitely creepy.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Originally posted by Seabishop
    I always think its hilarious when someone who thinks they're so cool with a toungue piercing talks with a lisp.
    Probably the same someones who teased and tormented the kid in their class who had a lisp!

It definitely grosses me out but I am pretty prudish - no piercings; no tattoos - my only claim to fame is large surgical scar. Despite my wimpiness, I don't think it should be banned - blowtorch???? there must be a better way!!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I voted "no". I didn't get an indication from the article that it is a particularly dangerous procedure... no more than other procedures I guess. It doesn't even wig me out... I'm kind of interested in how it feels when you kiss someone with a forked tongue like that.

On a separate note, I wonder if any lawyers with a good sense of humor have had this procedure.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I could not find any good/safe links and photos, but I find inserting beads under the skin even creepier then the split tongue.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by nerudite
    I didn't get an indication from the article that it is a particularly dangerous procedure...
    I would imagine its not. I had a frenulectomy a few years ago. (TMI?) and it wasnt painful at all.

edit: I am told that my kissing improved afterwards...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Chet
    I would imagine its not. I had a frenulectomy a few years ago. (TMI?) and it wasnt painful at all.

Thank goodness you provided that link for the definition... because I was so sure you had something else removed that would have been uhhhhh a little more painful.

Did you have to have it removed for medical reasons or was it for extra-ciricular activity?
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Repo Man
    Did you have to have it removed for medical reasons or was it for extra-ciricular activity?
    The former, but it benefitting the later.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by Chet

edit: I am told that my kissing improved afterwards...

You had the ol' Gene Simons procedure, huh?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Seabishop
    You had the ol' Gene Simons procedure, huh?
    That sums it up better than WebMD ever could. LOL

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2002
    Originally posted by donk
    I could not find any good/safe links and photos, but I find inserting beads under the skin even creepier then the split tongue.
    This is one of the more disturbing methods of body modification I have seen, surpassed in the creepy factor only by scarification (slicing designs in your skin) and branding. I am personally rather horrified by the tongue-splitting thing as well. While I don't think these procedures should be banned, perhaps a waiting period/counseling session should be in order. I suspect that most of the people who engage in these extreme forms of modification are either very young or a bit off psychologically.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The only thing that creeps me out a little are the people that have little devil horns surgically implanted. Even then, it's more weird (worried about the individual who would do such a thing) than gross.

Case in point (I'll remove this if people get too grossed out)...

Registered
    Dec 1998
    These pictures have killed my afternoon snack cravings.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I have a friend who has 30 different piercings, and one of his friends had some serious scarification done over a period of months - he had angel wings scarred onto the whole of his back. Those things didn't bother me but the tongue splitting definitely gives me the heebie jeebies!! But I kind of agree that it's a personal choice. And making it illegal won't stop it.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    To each his own...those who want to get back to their tribal roots and stick bones through their noses, devil horn, whatever...so be it.

I want to know if those people who keep making their ear holes larger (like the above photo) have any clue that the hole will not close up. I had my ears pierced and I haven't had an earring in on over 5 years and there are still holes from that tiny little post. Sticking something the size of a quarter just seems pointless.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Jul 2002
    They do realise, it's part of what makes it 'different'! I've seen guys with tunnels in their ears (I think that's the correct terminology) of more than 5cm diameter. If you decide you don't want them later on, you have to have surgery to remove most of the stretched skin and then sew up what's left.

Registered
    Nov 2001

Question...

Do these people understand that people like me will NEVER hire them?? If you can hide it, fine, but if you can't you won't be working for me.
    "Dear Prudence...won't you open up your eyes? "

I agree with prudence. I think that people who get tattoos on their faces or have ear tunnels don't think about the ramifications of these actions. Yeah, you may think you look cool now, but how will you look when you are 50 and you have drooping holes in your ears and a fading, wrinkled face tattoo. There is a fine line between being "different" and being "stupid"

I had a nosering and 5 ear piercings, so I am not opposed to these things, but at some point you have to stop being different and start thinking of how these things will affect the rest of your life.

- Homer Simpson

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 27 Aug 2008, 9:59 AM