Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Urban Sprawl in USSR

Registered
    Sep 1998

Urban Sprawl in USSR

Was watching the news the other night and saw a story about rural areas outside Moscow being overrun by the soviet "nouveau rich" (some legit, some criminals).

Apparently during the good old communist days, poor Moscovites whould build cottages (datchas) in the woods and retreat to them on weekends. These days ,however, the new rich are displacing the poor and are building Monster Homes with no zoning and little concern for the environment.

Commets or observations?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Vast stretches of land, low population, probably nowhere near as bad for the environment as to have innefficient heavy industry with no control belching crap everywhere.

the building will be good for thier economy. People will have jobs, people will make money, new business will start. People with money will attract manufacturers, goods and services.

GOD DAMN BOUGUIOS BASTARDS! Bring back Joe Stalin to kill those upstarts!

Same old story, new place. It was bound to happen and probably needs to. Other places on the planet WANT to develop, and that is a good thing. Russia has a LOT of natural resources to use and sell, let them do it.
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Geez. Sounds like some of the water-front historic districts in certain parts of Florida. (buy small historic home, displace the "locals", bulldoze historic home, build stucco nightmare)

That's the price of progress!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!

Re: Urban Sprawl in USSR

Commets or observations?
    Give more info, whatever you saw is hard to discuss without some real info to talk about
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Those damn pinkos threw away the five year plan and look what happens? CHAOS! This should be a lesson to you and your commrades.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I'd like to see some of these houses. Housing in Russia was traditionally in large, Stalinist high-rises, and dachas tend to have a gingerbread or log cabin appearance. I wonder what modern Russian single family housing looks like, and what the sources for architectural inspiration are.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Let me answer my own question.

Many look like Europeanized Northeast US-style homes.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    These look like slightly-modified stock home plans. Frankly, a couple of them are not bad.

Registered
    May 2003
    Not bad compared to american sprawl, but you can tell they're cheaply built. It's nice that most don't have front loaded garages though.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Re: Urban Sprawl in USSR

Small detail: The title of this thread be called "Urban Sprawl in Russia," not USSR. Of course, you knew that.

But back on topic, my only response is this, based on Dan's images: Seems like everyone wants to be like the capitalist Americans!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Originally posted by jordanb
    Not bad compared to american sprawl, but you can tell they're cheaply built. It's nice that most don't have front loaded garages though.
    Ok, how can you tell they are cheaply built from a photo? What in any of these photos says poor construction techniques? I'll spot you the first two homes that look like they may have a quality issues in the siding and the deck, but where do these photos scream "cheaply built"? What is cheaply built? Can you define the term?

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Those are very interesting pictures, Dan.

Holy cow, I've got to visit Russia before the Americans and Canadians take over! I've always wanted to go.

The first photo looks like one of the single-family homes they built in the South Bronx post-urban renewal, only without a fenced yard. Interesting gated homes in the middle series of pictures - they look like something you'd see, well, here... in an upscale suburb outside a city with a lot of crime (midwesterners: what the heck is the name of that very affluent suburb outside Detroit??).

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Form my experience, the average Russian cannot afford the type of homes that thave been pictured.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Originally posted by SlaveToTheGrind
    Form my experience, the average Russian cannot afford the type of homes that thave been pictured.
    What I'd like to know is, who can? Who are the Russians making the big bucks??

We recently had a group of planners visit from Novosgrod Russia. I did not know prior to this visit but only 5 cities in Russia have zoning. It started in 1998 when the US Dept of Commerce brought experts to several cities in Russia to teach them to use this land use tool. This group had come to Ohio to study how we implement zoning.

Why they/Dept of Commerce chose Ohio, I have not idea. However their questions were very interesting and they are finding zoning to be a helpful tool to control changes.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    Its no surprise the Russians would like another way to control its citizenry. Talk about a new way to enforce zoning--stright to the Gulag you go!

INACTIVE
    Registered
    Jul 2002

russian sprawl

What a surprise that after Russians came to Ohio to learn how to implement zoning, sprawl was not far behind. Zoning (separation of uses) and plenty of vehicles are the basic ingredients for suburbs.

Registered
    May 2003
    Them's fightin' words on this board.

(I fully agree with you, btw).

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    No need to start a new thread when there's already an existing thread, green22. I'm merging this in.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Originally posted by cowley.11
    Why they/Dept of Commerce chose Ohio, I have not idea.
    They chose Ohio because of its international fame as the center of the world for Commie Planners and their demonic zoning theory!!!

And.....

Because you can sell your soul to the Devil at the Maumee crossroads (intersection of I-75 and I-90).
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    the buildings aren't so bad.. but how about a little vegetation????
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Urban sprawl
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 31 May 2010, 3:04 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 31 May 2006, 6:32 PM
  3. Poet of urban sprawl