Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Land Use Plan vs Future Land Use Plan

Registered
    Jun 2002

Land Use Plan vs Future Land Use Plan

What is the difference between a Land Use Plan and a Future Land Use Plan?

I think I remember that the Land Use Plan is merely an inventory of current land uses, but a Future Land Use Plan is a guide as to how the city foresees the potential uses of land to eventually be.

Is there a legal difference as to which one is part of the Comprehensive Plan?

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I'm just a lowly intern, so you can take this with a grain of salt. I've seen both types of land use plans incorporated into the comprehensive plan under the land use/growth management chapter. Our city requires any new developments to comply with the Comprehensive Plan; so if you include a future land use plan in the comp plan, you should be able to require developers to conform with it. I think this varies a good bit from state to state though. Hope that helps!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Dec 2001
    The existing land use plan which you are referring to is more commonly known as a land use inventory or survey. Land Use Plan/Futue Land Use Plan = same thing. A plan for how the community wants to be developed.

You say tomato I say tomaaato type thing, you dig?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 15
    Last post: 27 Jan 2011, 2:50 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 11 Oct 2005, 5:28 AM
  3. Land Use Plan
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 15 Sep 2004, 5:09 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last post: 29 Jun 2001, 9:58 AM