When we updated our Comprehensive Plan in 1998-2001 the public and the Committee guiding the process specifically rejected the concept of "life cycle housing". (i.e.you can graduate from high school & get an apartment, save enough to achieve owner occupancy at an affordable level, then in time move to the empty nester setting, then on to assisted living, etc. It's really a stay-in-the-community-cradle-to-the-grave approach). As a second-tier suburb with 10% of our residences being on waterfront property, our housing stock tends to be in the upper-middle to lower-upper class brackets. Affordability for younger AND older ages is a big concern.

I'm sure flexible zoning techniques can go a long way to promoting affordability, but with our established population base it's a tough sell. I think the Plan's housing policies could be construed - indirectly - as being exclusionary, but no one will really fess up to that. Now, as our State has adopted Smart Growth legislation and our local Plans must specifically address affordability issues, I want to start re-introducing the concept.

Has anyone run across a good housing segmentation policy or a related case study? I want real world examples of policy implementation and regulation...

Thanks!