+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where's your house?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Where's your house?

Mine's here.

Yup. it's at the end of a cul-de-sac. Gawd, I feel like such a hypocrite.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2001
    nice 'hood Dan, the lawns are looking a little brown, though.

nice hometown websites too, clay top roads and live oaks festooned with moss, definitely huckleberry.

Is that a lake nearby? When are ya gonna host the first cyburbia planfest?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Jen wrote:
    nice hometown websites too, clay top roads and live oaks festooned with moss, definitely huckleberry.
    Well, I don't live in the town where I work. Real estate is a bit expensive there; it's also a small town where everyone knows me, and I want to be able to really leave work at 5:00 -- or 7:00, as the case has been recently.

I live in Ocoee, which is about 1/3rd of the way between that small town and downtown Orlando. Ocoee is a western suburb of Orlando; it used to be known as a "hick town" of sorts, but it's rapidly developing into a desirable suburb. Tough design regulations, big houses ... it's not bad. It is a suburb, though.

The location of my job provided a lot fo challenges when it came to house hunting. If I lived where most singles tend to congregate, in Orlando's northern 'burbs, I'd be looking at a 50 minute commute to work. Not too far south is Dr. Philips and Windermere -- unaffordable on a planner's salary. Closer to downtown is Pine Hills, otherwise known as "Crime Hills" -- a once middle-class suburban area that is experiencing rapid socioeconomic change. Winter Garden is close to work, but the built environment there leaves a bit to be desired, and demographically it has a "traditional rural Southern working class" orientation -- friendly, but I wouldn't fit in. (The planners there are trying hard to turn things around, I'll give 'em credit for that.) If I want to get to work in a reasonable amount of time, not be so far from downtown that feel like I'm in the sticks, and live in a nice place I can afford, I'm pretty much limited to Ocoee.

I'll hold a Planfest when Cyburbia reaches critical mass, and there's enough Cyburbanites from Central Florida that'll fill my yard ... or at least be able to sit around the dining room table.

Registered
    Jul 1998

Where's your house?

Here's mine, nice traditional neighborhood.
    Last edited by giff57; 04 Mar 2002 at 11:54 AM.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    I live here, across the street from a small neighborhood park, 4 blocks from the house I grew up in.

Registered
    Oct 2001

El Guapo's Escondito

Old Neighborhood - Old House - Old Plumbing - Old Neighbors

Giff; Is that a B2 bomber in your back yard?

Registered
    Jul 1998

Re: El Guapo's Escondito

El Guapo wrote:
    Old Neighborhood - Old House - Old Plumbing - Old Neighbors

Giff; Is that a B2 bomber in your back yard?

I wish! I could use one of those for some of my CE duties. Its a senior apartment complex.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    El Guapo - how long before you move into a trailer on a stick?

Registered
    Oct 2001

El Guapo trancends his own tastes

El Guapo will not dignify that...Ok, he will. El Guapo likes the old neighborhood and his rustic, yet kindly, neighbors. But for some reason El Guapo is not in charge.

Mrs. Guapo wants to live next to the Glitterati. El Guapo is now looking for something in a McMansion if you talked to Mrs. El Guapo. Perhaps even a gated community; to keep out the civil servant types and those with just a bachelors degree.

"If a man tells you he is in charge at his home he will lie to you about other things also!"

Registered
    Feb 1998
    el Guapo, you could always put your trailer in the yard behind the McMansion...or repose in the servants quarters above the garage. But does the homeowners association have a prohibition on your vehicles?

Registered
    Aug 2001

Hmmmm

El Guapo - I think the trailer on a stick would be a great Mother-In-Law Unit....

Registered
    Oct 2001

Ah...

BTurk.
    Are you the guy from the movie Something about Mary, who when asked what he did for a living stated..."I work with Retards"

You win with the most politically incorrect Avatar. Beats my Rush Limbaugh hands down.

Registered
    Oct 2001

What the heck is that in my yard?

Gurnee, Did you do that to my lawn?

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I live in a heavily wooded subdivision with about 4 units/acre. Work is eight minutes away; the school is five minutes; and the grocery store is in-between. Small towns are nice.

There is a large aerial photo of the town on the wall in the lobby. Invariably when someone sees it for the first time, they look for their house. I'm glad to see that planners do the same thing.

By the way, Rocket J. Squirrel lives in a nearby tree.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Oh El Guapo

You hit the nail on the head when you said I work with retards! Just kidding. And BTW, the avatar is one of Dan's stock choices (thanks Dan!)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Past life 1. Urbanity!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Past life 2. Mi casa es su casa.

Registered
    Apr 1996

Don't feel so bad Dan...

My college roommate (a former planner turned computer consultant) lives in this lovely development. If you think it's bad, wait 'til you see the whole community (next post).
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Apr 1996
    :x
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Jan 2002

What a mess!

All of those roads seem like that lead to no where. How do you not get lost in that neighborhood?

Re: What a mess!

Virtue City wrote:
    All of those roads seem like that lead to no where. How do you not get lost in that neighborhood?
    (I can't think of a smiley for an evil smile, so you'll just have to imagine) You don't. Or rather you do. There are rust-bucket cars trapped at the end of cul-de-sacs with skeletons in and there are ghosts that endlessly search for home...

Boy, you yanks like things on a large scale. I thought British suburbia and housing estates were bad enough. But then, you have the space.
    Glorious Technicolor, Breath-Taking CinemaScope and Stereophonic Sound!

Registered
    Oct 2000
    crap - I REALLY wish I could post the ortho from my current town. Quite amazing, really, all the roads to nowhere.

Registered
    Apr 1996
    KMateja wrote:
    crap - I REALLY wish I could post the ortho from my current town. Quite amazing, really, all the roads to nowhere.
    Try this link...

http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.c...=1478&Z=18&W=2

Registered
    Aug 2001

The lake is iced over again!

Thanks for the link NH planner!

My neighborhood - just a topo here, no aerial views

My place is on the east side of Big Pine Island Lake We can see the island and public asshole access from our house. We have a sandy beach, yard is full giant white pines and oaks, and we sit high above the lake with about 62 steps down to beach - by the end of summer my legs are tight!

Notice our proximity to Grattan Raceway - that sealed the deal for us and I was dragging my feet on buying this house, too small and boxy but the location is gorgeous and there even is a small party store Green's Landing on the lake that sells anything you need, except for imported beer -

Registered
    Aug 2001

Awesome link, NHPlanner!

...on Milwaukee's north side.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 29
    Last post: 24 Mar 2011, 2:25 PM
  2. Replies: 32
    Last post: 07 Apr 2009, 2:25 PM
  3. What should I do to buy a house?