Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Grrr... %@&*# Virus!

Registered
    Aug 2001

Grrr... %@&*# Virus!

Anybody else being bombarded by the Sobig virus? I had about 30 infected e-mails sent to me yesterday, and 140 more by this morning, and maybe another 30 already today. I think it has gotten a membership list for a state organizations, based on the names it is placing in the sender field. If anybody has ideas on how to stop it, let me know.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Try this link for general info:

http://www.datafellows.fi/sobig/
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I received maybe ten yesterday. They were all caught by our firewall.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I don't think we've had any problems at our office building. I'm assuming a firewall or network AV software is doing it's thing correctly.

Let's hear it for the IT staff!
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Sep 2001
    They are starting to roll into my account, probably 10 in the last hour or so. Unfortunately, my email is on a lot of web sites as the contact person for our cycling association.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Dec 1998
    The worm virus took out my personal notebook computer. I've been getting a ton of crap emails at work that I think are infected, but the virus scanner at work has been catching them.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Our IT staff updated the virus-scanning program yesterday so we haven't had any problems here at the office.

I had the first virus at home last week and installed the Microsoft patch, and have heard that may protect against the new one. So far, no problems, but who knows what I'll find when I get home tonight...

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by Planderella
    The worm virus took out my personal notebook computer. I've been getting a ton of crap emails at work that I think are infected, but the virus scanner at work has been catching them.
    The worm also knocked my fiances desk-top but it was nothing that an hour of Gateway tech support couln't fix.

Our firewall must be doing the job because I've got nothing on my work account.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Got me last week at home. I put the patch on and am fine now.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I have not been infected, and am updating the other office computers to make sure they don't get it either. The Sobig has only been an annoyance, as every fifteen minutes I am getting new e-mails, and each time, the virus software pops up a warning message that I have to close. I finally closed Outlook to put an end to the interruptions, but now I don't have my legitimate e-mails coming through immediately.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    last night this latest virus was hitting one of my AOL accounts pretty hard so i finaly closed off the account from getting ANY outside mail overnight and its fine today
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Our firewall is protecting us here at work. Havent checked from home yet.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Our IT staff is very strict, but very good. I do not think that anyone in city hall has been affected by it. I know a few weeks ago, we all got an e-mail from IT letting us know about it, but I have not head anything thus far about any of our systems going down.

On the other hand, the college that I went to, tons of people had it, and they posted a page on there web site on how to get rid of it.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2002
    I've received nearly 150 infected messages since yesterday. All are being deleted and not opened. Others in my office have experienced a similar influx. Grrr....

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 13
    Last post: 27 Mar 2014, 6:39 PM
  2. [OMG!] Manual virus alert!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 01 Apr 2011, 1:24 PM