Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Ped-Friendly Service Station/Convenience Store

Ped-Friendly Service Station/Convenience Store

This may seem like an odd request, but I'm looking for any regulations that provide for a more pedestrian-friendly service station/convenience store. The inclination would be that these uses are not pedestrian-friendly by their very nature, but we are looking for a kinder and gentler development type for inner city and first-ring suburb redevelopment as well as for greenfield development. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I don't know about regulations, but some of the first things that come to mind are
    -the use of paving to signal who has right of way: where the vehicle entry and exit points cross the sidewalk (assuming there is a sidewalk) you can use colour and paving variations to show that it is a pedestrian path and vehicles should give way (=yield)
    -visibility of the pedestrians should be maintained at all times ie don't make them walk behind a large sign/wall etc
    -you could use bollards, or a step (plus access ramp), or a change in grade, or colour in the area immediately in front of the store entrance to ensure pedestrians have safe access without cars blocking, or driving really close to, the doors

If I can find better photos of the Mobil gas station in Delafield, Wisconsin, I will post them. These may provide some information. It is probably one of the better gas stations I have seen anywhere. They placed the building at a 0 setback so it fits in with the quaint buildings and shops in the downtown business district. The pumps are located behind the building and they are accessed by a side street and a driveway along the main street. There was a mini-specialty upscale grocery store in there at one time, although I am not sure if it remains.

Check out their website:

http://ci.delafield.wi.us/genstreet.htm

Here are some images:

The mobil station is on the right edge. You can barely see it, but you can see that the building has been brought up to the street.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Found our Road Traffic Standard for service stations - includes considerations of design for pedestrians.

Would be interested to hear how things go

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Repo - another example of my hometown getting it right!

I have some great pictures of that station at work. I'll post them as soon as I can dig them up.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 29
    Last post: 15 Oct 2012, 7:14 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 05 Nov 2007, 1:21 PM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last post: 06 Aug 2007, 12:25 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 30 Sep 2004, 3:27 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last post: 09 Sep 2000, 7:34 AM