Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Comprehensive Master Plan

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.

Comprehensive Master Plan

Today, our senior planner asked us to keep a list of all the things that we think that a planner should do. As I was thinking about, I realized that there is a lot of stuff that our Comprehensive Master Plan does not address. The question that I pose to everyone on here is how often do you make updates to your Comp Plan, with out tossing it out and revising the whole thing?
    If you're not growing, you're dying. - Lou Holtz

Registered
    Nov 2002

Re: Comprehensive Master Plan

Originally posted by michaelskis
    The question that I pose to everyone on here is how often do you make updates to your Comp Plan, with out tossing it out and revising the whole thing?
    What comp plan?
    Seriously, if we have one I haven't seen it.

In other towns I've worked in they were reviewed every five and generally updated every ten.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I usually recommend that the comprehensive plan be reviewed at least annually, and updated and/or revised every 5 years.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Nov 2002
    According to state law updates are required every 5 years. In reality, many towns don't meet this requirement. Each municipality was required to have a state certified comp plan in 1992. 11 years later about 30 - 40% still don't have a state certified plan.

State certification isn't as Big Brother as it sounds. The plan is reviewed by various state agencies, mostly for content requirements. The State doesn't force you to succumb to their "grand vision" or anything. This process is easier to manage in a state of only 39 municipalities.

Registered
    Apr 2003

Re: Re: Comprehensive Master Plan

Originally posted by biscuit
    What comp plan?
    Seriously, if we have one I haven't seen it.

In other towns I've worked in they were reviewed every five and generally updated every ten.
    Ouch

Registered
    Sep 2001
    In our act it is required to review it every five years.

In our office we keep a running tally of things that need to be addressed, then when tehre is enough we do the changes. This is working out o be about every 18 months.

For clarification, our plan is brand new and we are still working out a few of the mapping errors and interpretation problems.

A review of the Zoning portion occurs at the same time.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

With Wisconsin's Smart Growth Law in effect, we have been making updates about 1-2 times each year. The updates have been focused on redevelopment and residential neighborhood improvement.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Repo Man
    With Wisconsin's Smart Growth Law in effect, we have been making updates about 1-2 times each year. The updates have been focused on redevelopment and residential neighborhood improvement.
    Same here. It's great to have a continuously updated document.

Our next biggie is in 2007 when the regional sewer district expands our immediate service boundaries to the "ultimate". Woo hoo, a great reason to buy me ESRI Spatial Analyst.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    KS law requires a review each year. I am now finishing a revision to the 1976 plan--after 6 years. Don't try it in house with a one person planning staff.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    well..... 5 years would be great.. but it takes about 2-3 to get one done around here!!!
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Originally posted by Seabishop
    According to state law updates are required every 5 years. In reality, many towns don't meet this requirement. Each municipality was required to have a state certified comp plan in 1992. 11 years later about 30 - 40% still don't have a state certified plan.

State certification isn't as Big Brother as it sounds. The plan is reviewed by various state agencies, mostly for content requirements. The State doesn't force you to succumb to their "grand vision" or anything. This process is easier to manage in a state of only 39 municipalities.

What state do you live in?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    The "Biggest Little State in the Union"

Really, its a state.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by Seabishop
    This process is easier to manage in a state of only 39 municipalities.
    Wow, sounds like organizational heaven compared to here where there are 130 municipalities just in the county.

Registered
    May 2002
    In Maryland, our Comp Plans are supposed to be updated at least every six years. We are right on track to hopefully adopt our new plan in early Fall. The problem is that there is no real consequence if you don't have an updated plan. My town started getting ready for this over two years ago with visioning sessions and all that good stuff. It's really hard for the little municipalities that don't have a planning staff and can't afford to hire a consultant. The state has circuit riders that provide local assistance, but there are just too many small places for them to all have updated Comp Plans.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    State law here recommends revision every 5-10 years. Here in my town we're updating our 1997 Master Plan now.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by biscuit
    Wow, sounds like organizational heaven compared to here where there are 130 municipalities just in the county.
    If the state needs to hold a meeting anyone can be there in an hour. Compare that to California or Texas where people would have to fly in to get everyone together.

Since we are essentially a city-state we would be a nice case study for strong statewide planning. Sometimes the planner in me imagines an efficient Toronto-style merger, but towns understandably wouldn't want to give up local control.

Registered
    Feb 2000

Georgia

I believe that in Georgia, cities and counties are required to update their plans every 10 years, while their required "5-Year Short-Term Work Program" to implement the plan must be periodically updated (every 2 years, I believe) and submitted to the Georgia Department of Community Affairs (DCA) for approval. Comp Plans are also submitted for compliance review to the DCA. Plan must be in compliance with the Georgia Planning Act and the rules of the DCA. None compliance can lead to limited grant opportunities from the State.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Typically in NSW, minor amendments to our primary instruments (called Local Environmental Plans) occur continuously. We would do between 5 and 20 a year depending on need.

Comprehensive reviews should, according to leading practice, be conducted every 5 and definately no more than 10 years. We currently have a new City Wide plan awaiting Ministerial approval - our first since 1984 (look they are really hard to do right).

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Does Michigan have time requirements?

Around here it's not work on reviewing the plan (since it is only a new plan this year), but working on all of the supporting documents and plans mentioned in the Official Plan (comp plan), such as greenspace master plan, city-wide design strategy etc...

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Originally posted by Plan Man
    Around here it's not work on reviewing the plan (since it is only a new plan this year), but working on all of the supporting documents and plans mentioned in the Official Plan (comp plan), such as greenspace master plan, city-wide design strategy etc...
    We have just completed our package. If you are interested you may find something useful (by way of example) here.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Zoning Comprehensive plan question
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 15 Jun 2009, 2:41 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last post: 24 Apr 2009, 3:41 PM
  3. [IowaAPA] comprehensive plan
    APA Iowa Chapter
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 24 Jun 2008, 1:05 PM