Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What if Grey Resigns?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002

What if Grey Resigns?

This hit me while driving coming back from a meeting at the County: What if next month, Grey Davis sees the writing on the wall, and instead of allowing a chance for the republicans to win the statehouse, resigns? Does that squash the recall election? Would the Lt. Gov--Bustamonte (sp) just step in and finish the term?

Anybody know?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    interesting question. Here's my guess:

'Spumante would step up for the remainder, but I assume the recall still goes on. a 'no' vote would keep the lt. gov in to fill the unexpired term.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Answer 1. 49 states won't give a shit?
    Answer 2. Taco Bell has a surplus of Chicken Soft Tacos?
    Answer 3. Another Democrat Gov busts another budget?
    Answer 4. The new Hindistani Ambasadors go on sale?
    Answer 5. FoxNews has to find real news until the next white girl has something bad happen to her?

I give. How will anything change that affects anything qnyone cares about.?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Nope, the moment the recall signatures were in and validated.
    The vote was in.

No matter what happens whith Grey.

Sorry man, but those who vote NO on the recall, are not allowed the secondary vote of who to vote fore.

If you vote YES on the recall, then you will have a secondary choice of who you want to replace him.

60% of CA's favor the recount. The Dems only choice is to chuck Grey and vote for Bustemonte.

Replacement is decided by a simple plurality of votes (who got the largest percentage) not a majority.
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    oops, frualien slip, should have been "recall" not recount.
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by el Guapo
    Answer 4. The new Hindistani Ambasadors go on sale?
    That looks really cool. Just the kind of quirky car I would buy, if they were dependable.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Exactly!

The media's obsession with the Cali Guv issue doesn't make any sense to me (I know, putting Arnold on the screen gets people to watch which gets advertisers to pay). I live in Michigan. Why should I care about who the next Cali Guv is. It's not like I can vote for any of the candidates.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by Alan
    Exactly!

The media's obsession with the Cali Guv issue doesn't make any sense to me (I know, putting Arnold on the screen gets people to watch which gets advertisers to pay). I live in Michigan. Why should I care about who the next Cali Guv is. It's not like I can vote for any of the candidates.
    When Entertainment Tonight is reporting on a governers' race something is very wrong. Most people now know more about CA state politics then their own state.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Hey, we rock. What can I say. You are all just jealous of our crazy politics, our crazy politicians, and our crazy budget deficits.

Just remember, if the crazies didn't have California to wash up onto, THEY would be living and politcking in YOUR states (and provinces).

Registered
    Aug 2001

Gotta say it -

They dont call it the land of "fruits" and "nuts" for nothing!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    thanks jordanb

Registered
    Jul 2002

Hey!

Originally posted by BKM
    Hey, we rock. What can I say. You are all just jealous of our crazy politics, our crazy politicians, and our crazy budget deficits.

Just remember, if the crazies didn't have California to wash up onto, THEY would be living and politcking in YOUR states (and provinces).
    Hey, we got Trafficante, Springer and had Flint. Not all jerky polititians are in Cal!
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Nov 2002

Re: Hey!

Originally posted by Tom R
    Hey, we got Trafficante, Springer and had Flint. Not all jerky polititians are in Cal!
    Kind of OT:
    Read in the paper last week that South Carolina has a 30 year-old gay, pro union, anti government, Democratic Senatorial Candidate who is also head of Jim Trafficantes presidental exploratory committee.

That should go well

Registered
    May 2003
    For those in the other 49.

Gray is getting lots of press because the press always gives wall to wall coverage of Republican attempts to impeach, recall, or otherwise diminish Democrat politicians. It may have to do with concentration of media ownership and political leanings of that ownership.

The other 49 should be concerned about what happens in CA. GWB made the mistake of thinking California is not connected to the rest of the U.S. and allowed his energy buddies to tank the CA economy. He forgot that California is a huge consumer state and also a source of much innovation. Taking down California at the start of a recession was a guarantee that the recession would be longer and deeper. Not good national policy, even though he probably felt good at the time.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Politicians in Florida give a shit! The papers here have been quoting them hoping and praying that the CA fiasco will make everyone forget what happened here in the 2000 elections...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    So Wulf your position is that Grey Davis has nothing to do with Calis problems and its all George Bushes fault?

Tell me again what W did to destroy Cali?

Registered
    Mar 2002
    my few friends from Cali are so ashamed of their home state right now
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Originally posted by gkmo62u
    So Wulf your position is that Grey Davis has nothing to do with Calis problems and its all George Bushes fault?

Tell me again what W did to destroy Cali?
    Well, I think I might know where Wulf's coming from. Let me try my hand at explaining for you:

You see, the Zombie Halliburton Army met secretly at the home of Richard Mellon Scaife. There, on a conference call with Karl Rove, Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, and other of Bush's puppet masters, along with assorted charter members of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy (including, no doubt, Rush Limbaugh), they plotted to force the Cali dem legislature, through subliminal advertising, to pass the world's shittiest energy deregulation law.

Then, a similiar subliminal ad campaign, combined with a mind-control water-fluoridation program, forced the Gov and compatriots to jack up spending on such necessaries as social services and welfare for illegals, self-esteem programs for pre-kindergartners, and free ice cream and pony rides for state union members in perpetuity.

Constrained by the effects of these developments, which as I've demonstrated were all caused by the right-wing cabal "led" by their "unelected" "puppet leader " "George" "Dubya" "Bush" (if that's even REALLY his name), and hit with an economy in decline since March of 2000 (a recession begun during the Clinton administration by Republican business leaders in an effort to make him look bad), the Cali state budget ended up in the crapper.

So, as you can see, it is indeed the fault of Bush and all his energy buddies.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Originally posted by El Feo
    Well, I think I might know where Wulf's coming from. Let me try my hand at explaining for you:

You see, the Zombie Halliburton Army met secretly at the home of Richard Mellon Scaife. There, on a conference call with Karl Rove, Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, and other of Bush's puppet masters, along with assorted charter members of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy (including, no doubt, Rush Limbaugh), they plotted to force the Cali dem legislature, through subliminal advertising, to pass the world's shittiest energy deregulation law.

Then, a similiar subliminal ad campaign, combined with a mind-control water-fluoridation program, forced the Gov and compatriots to jack up spending on such necessaries as social services and welfare for illegals, self-esteem programs for pre-kindergartners, and free ice cream and pony rides for state union members in perpetuity.

Constrained by the effects of these developments, which as I've demonstrated were all caused by the right-wing cabal "led" by their "unelected" "puppet leader " "George" "Dubya" "Bush" (if that's even REALLY his name), and hit with an economy in decline since March of 2000 (a recession begun during the Clinton administration by Republican business leaders in an effort to make him look bad), the Cali state budget ended up in the crapper.

So, as you can see, it is indeed the fault of Bush and all his energy buddies.
    Plagiarism!
    You took this verbatim from the Village Voice, CNN, the last DNC newsletter and the Dean campaign! But you forgot to call him Shrub and claim that we prompted the Saudis to start the 9-11 attacks which any right-minded New Jersey Poet Lauriat knows the Jews knew about in advance.

Yet, they claim the right is where all the conspiracy nuts hang out.

Well done.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Wulf9
    The other 49 should be concerned about what happens in CA.
    Nevertheless, I still cannot vote in that election because I live in Michigan. Therefore, I do not care who wins the election.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Originally posted by Alan
    Exactly!

1) Because it's the process here that makes it different. How often has a recall vote for any governor anywhere happened?

2) Because it can happen in any state, from Maine to Hawaii. There are thousands of sore losers (from BOTH major parties) in all 50 states who are now thinking that a challenge can be mounted because they don't like the result.

Broaden your horizons. This has national implications.

Registered
    Jul 2002

recall

Originally posted by pete-rock
    1) Because it's the process here that makes it different. How often has a recall vote for any governor anywhere happened?

2) Because it can happen in any state, from Maine to Hawaii. There are thousands of sore losers (from BOTH major parties) in all 50 states who are now thinking that a challenge can be mounted because they don't like the result.

Broaden your horizons. This has national implications.
    I don't think all states have recall provisions in their constitutions. I know Ohio doesn't. Impeachment, maybe, recall no.
    WALSTIB

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996

Re: recall

Originally posted by Tom R
    I don't think all states have recall provisions in their constitutions. I know Ohio doesn't. Impeachment, maybe, recall no.
    Same here. No recall provisions in our constitution, so I'm back to not caring about CA's election.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I know all states don't have recall statutes. MY state of Illinois has no recall statute. But that has nothing to do with the fact that more states MIGHT push for recall statutes if Cali's proves to be successful.

Look, I'm not waiting with baited breath to find out what's the latest news on the recall race every night. Californians can choose whomever they want to run the state. FWIW, Gray Davis seems as bland as his first name. But it's shortsighted to think that a fiscal and political crisis in the nation's largest state doesn't warrant any national interest.

Face it -- many movements have started in Cali and moved eastward. Prop 13 was a revolt against property taxes in Orange County that spurred greater tax activism nationwide, and played a role in getting Ronald Reagan elected. Ward Connerly's fight against affirmative action in the UC system a few years ago ultimately had ramifications in Texas, Michigan, and other states. The same could be said about environmental activism and energy deregulation.

Again, broaden your horizons. I thought that as planners, the "big picture" was a little easier for us to see. Maybe not.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Grey owl
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 25 Jun 2008, 12:05 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 11 Jun 2008, 6:46 PM
  3. Gonzalez Resigns!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 32